To See or Not to See!!

NeilFan

We've had a HAL Cat K booked on HAL Veendam and were upgraded to a DD (partically obstructed). Given the reduced prices now for a K, would you seasoned Alaska travelers rebook in a K for a savings of $750 pp, or stay with the DD and hope for a bit more upgrade and an unobstructed view.

For some background, we plan to be out on deck most of the time anyway, but hear that a lot of people like the Lower Promenade, especially now with the upgrades done to those cabins. Also, we are two couples, so may not be able to get cabins fairly close if we rebook which is a consideration.

It will be interesting to hear your feedback -- knowing the final decision is ours.

Thanks for all your great advice!

Rene

(NeilFan -- BTW, this is a Neil Diamond fan, not a RevNeal fan -- in case someone was wondering!) No offense to RevNeal -- I enjoy your posts!!

We've had a HAL Cat K booked on HAL Veendam and were upgraded to a DD (partically obstructed). Given the reduced prices now for a K, would you seasoned Alaska travelers rebook in a K for a savings of $750 pp, or stay with the DD and hope for a bit more upgrade and an unobstructed view.

For some background, we plan to be out on deck most of the time anyway, but hear that a lot of people like the Lower Promenade, especially now with the upgrades done to those cabins. Also, we are two couples, so may not be able to get cabins fairly close if we rebook which is a consideration.

It will be interesting to hear your feedback -- knowing the final decision is ours.

Thanks for all your great advice!

Rene

(NeilFan -- BTW, this is a Neil Diamond fan, not a RevNeal fan -- in case someone was wondering!) No offense to RevNeal -- I enjoy your posts!!

Depending on when your cruise is, if final payment was made and the promotion you are under, you might not be able to switch at this point...

I would take the DD myself... lots of daylight... I'll have a decent idea of where we are... and be able to get out on deck quick if there's something really cool outside!

We had a DD in AK and it worked out well. I think you would be happy there if you did not get a further upgrade. IMO, if you rebooked the K you could end up stuck there with no view.

I'm the indoors type, and I know some of the best excursions in Alaska are expensive. If I could get back to a K-category from an obstructed view, and save $750 in the process, I'd be doing it quick as a bunny. :D

Then I'd be choosing which flight-seeing excursion I wanted to do.

I've had a K cabin and liked it both for location and for quiet. However, I really missed the daylight. I think my decision would depend on where the DD is located. The Ks are more central and therefore will feel less motion. If the 'motion of the ocean' isn't a problem then the choice is based on what you'd do with the money saved, as Ruth has pointed out.

$750 is tempting. One way to think about is that's a lot of money for a window, but in Dec. I had and SY and it is hard to go back to an inside. No matter what you decide have a great cruise!

Thanks for all your input -- just letting you know what we decided to do.

Our TA thinks we've lost it, but she helped us rebook our cruisetour from DD (which was an upgrade from our original K) to HH. We stayed with an "oceanview" to keep the promotion rate for a post-night in Vancouver. Overall we still saved about $1000. There was quite a difference in the current price from HH to DD, even though they're right next to each other on the LP deck.

I know the upgrade fairy probably won't smile on us again:( but I don't think the whales, mountains and glaciers will mind if we won't be able to look out at them from our cabin!!;) You'll find us out on deck with our binoculars!

Thanks again,

and everyone have happy sailing!!

Rene

Thanks for all your input -- just letting you know what we decided to do.

Our TA thinks we've lost it, but she helped us rebook our cruisetour from DD (which was an upgrade from our original K) to HH. We stayed with an "oceanview" to keep the promotion rate for a post-night in Vancouver. Overall we still saved about $1000. There was quite a difference in the current price from HH to DD, even though they're right next to each other on the LP deck.

I know the upgrade fairy probably won't smile on us again:( but I don't think the whales, mountains and glaciers will mind if we won't be able to look out at them from our cabin!!;) You'll find us out on deck with our binoculars!

Thanks again,

and everyone have happy sailing!!

Rene

I am hoping your T/A did tell you that you moved from a partially obstructed DD to a fully obstructed HH.

Archived