July 23rd (Hubbard Glacier) - no Shore Ex Available?

Boo Boo

Hi

Since I have my new passport and can make sure excursion bookings, I have been looking at what is available....

However, under "Hubbard Glacier", all I get is the following:

"Hubbard Glacier Cruising

Hubbard Glacier is the longest tidewater glacier in Alaska, with an open calving face over six miles wide. The ice at the foot of Hubbard Glacier is about 400 years old: it takes that long for ice to traverse the length of the glacier. Where the glacier meets the shore, most of the ice is below the waterline, and newly calved icebergs can shoot up quite dramatically, so that ships must keep their distance from it as they ply their way up and down the coast.

Shore excursions for this port are not yet available. Please check back as they are generally available for reservation 120 days prior to the cruise."

Anyone know what is going on? No shore excursions available at all? All sold out - so not bothering to list any (other ports that have sold out excursions still list them, just say that they are sold out)? Any ideas?

Boo

Hi

Anyone know what is going on? No shore excursions available at all? All sold out - so not bothering to list any (other ports that have sold out excursions still list them, just say that they are sold out)? Any ideas?

Boo

Hubbard Glacier is within a bay into which Mariner will sail. Other, larger ships have to stay outside. Celebrity was outside as we sailed in. You will rest quite a long time looking at, and listening to the "calving" of the ice. Depending on the time of the year there will be ice floes aplenty, some with sealions on, and the Captain makes full use of his pod propulsion system to turn 360 degrees so everone gets a good view, We found it quite spectacular and a memory we shall keep forever. We were sorry to leave.

Ah, so it is not a port that you "get off at".... Ooops!

(you can tell that this is my first cruise to Alaska, can't you :D ).

Thank you both for your patience and taking the time to explain :)

Boo

I can't wait for Hubbard Glacier day - it was one of the most memorable parts of the crusie (that and the Tracy Arm excursion). We'll be going to the observation lounge bright and early to get a seat for hopefully a wonderful morning of glacier viewing! On our cruise, a local guide came on board and told us tons about the history of the area (of course, I don't remember much - hopefully the 2nd time will be a charm...)

It does sound amazing - makes me SO glad that we chose a smaller ship (so can get closer to the action).

I have already booked the Tracy Arm excursion - I have heard that is a "must do". :)

Boo

Yes Jina - good to get there early as possible. Last cruise we had a hard time finding a place to sit so had to stand to see, but no problem. It was a Tlingit(sp?) Indian giving the narration and he was quite humorous. Extremely informative and after his narration, came down to the Observation Lounge in his native garb. Fantastic!!!

Yes Jina - good to get there early as possible.

Does anyone remember what time the ship pulls into the bay? And how long, for that matter, she stays in it?

Will be there 7/23 as well ... and I don't want to be the only one staking out a spot at 5 am ... :D

Does anyone remember what time the ship pulls into the bay? And how long, for that matter, she stays in it?

Will be there 7/23 as well ... and I don't want to be the only one staking out a spot at 5 am ... :D

Not THAT early. There was PLENTY of room, including outside (assuming the weather is OK)

.20070602014.jpg

5AM is a bit early, but by 7AM all of the "good" seats were taken. I was there about 6 AM, and got a front row seat. This allowed me to have a continental breakfast and save a spot for my wife who came later. There was an announcement the previous day on the "ship channel" about the time the ship was going to enter the bay. If you are an early riser like me, you can watch the local guides and pilot transferred to the ship while in motion. Similarly, in the afternoon the local guides/pilot are transferred off the ship while the ship is moving. If you have video capability (camcorder or digital camera) it is worth recording.

I don't know if Terry Breen is scheduled for this summer. If she is, don't miss any of her commentary. It is available in the observation lounge and on the "ship channel".

The first time we were at Hubbard Glacier, it was snowing/sleeting hard and the wind was blowing a gale. No way to stay outside for very long at all, and we really couldn't see much at all. A disappointment.

The second time, weather was perfect. A totally different experience. Still have to dress warm though as it was pretty cold. But it is beautiful.

And both trips were in early August.

Archived