Can you purchase yearly travel insurance?

clerky96

We travel 2 or 3 times a year, and with DH retiring next month we may travel more. Is there a travel insurance that you can buy with coverage for all trips for the whole year? Thanks.

We travel 2 or 3 times a year, and with DH retiring next month we may travel more. Is there a travel insurance that you can buy with coverage for all trips for the whole year? Thanks.

IF you mean a complete travel insurance policy covering cancellation/interruption, lost baggage, etc. I have never found one.

But if you mean yearly travel insurance covering out of the USA medical and evacuation, yes.

I have a MedJet Assist policy, which covers only evacuation. And I used to have a MedEx yearly medical policy (I now get medical coverage through our commercial insurance broker-not available to most people).

Both MedJet Assist and various yearly medical policies are available through Insuremytrip, Travel Insurance Store, AARP and other providers. AARP has a discount for the evac policy.

One thing to really pay attention to is PRIMARY or SECONDARY coverage. You DO NOT want secondary coverage overseas. It presents all kinds of problems. And you need "concierge" level services for overseas travel. Someone who you can call when they don't want to take your insurance at a doctor or hospital, someone who can "guide" you to the BEST hospitals overseas, someone who will smooth the way, translate and help make arrangements. VERY important in a foreign country where you may not speak the language nor understand the customs.

American Express offers Travel Medical Protection coverage --- medical and dental insurance plus $100,000 evacuation cost coverage - it applies world-wide and year-round any time you are more than 150 miles away from home. The premium is $18.50 per month for two people. It would not cover trip cancellation - I am not aware of any year-round trip cancellation coverage -- that is generally purchased as you book the specific trip. Since we have travelled many times over the years and have never had to cancel a trip, our decision to self-insure has paid off.

Trip cancellation insurance is much like extended warranty coverage on appliances -- if you insure against every eventuality, you are almost certain to pay more in premiums than any repairs would come to. Travel medical is different - for a modest premium, you are protected against potentially catastrophic costs.

American Express offers Travel Medical Protection coverage --- medical and dental insurance plus $100,000 evacuation cost coverage - it applies world-wide and year-round any time you are more than 150 miles away from home. The premium is $18.50 per month for two people. It would not cover trip cancellation - I am not aware of any year-round trip cancellation coverage -- that is generally purchased as you book the specific trip. Since we have travelled many times over the years and have never had to cancel a trip, our decision to self-insure has paid off.

Trip cancellation insurance is much like extended warranty coverage on appliances -- if you insure against every eventuality, you are almost certain to pay more in premiums than any repairs would come to. Travel medical is different - for a modest premium, you are protected against potentially catastrophic costs.

You do realize Amex insurance is secondary coverage. They will only pay when your own health insurance rejects the claim. AND they expect you to pay the bill UPFRONT up to the limits of your credit card (I would assume Amex card). They also do not evacuate you to home-only to the closest "medically necessary" facility. They MAY send you home IF you have a long recuperation period but that is NOT guaranteed. And they only have 45 days continuous coverage, so no spending the summer in Europe or 3 months on a business trip to Asia/Middle East as I recent did.

When I determined our company possibly had contracts in the Middle East/Asia and extensive travel to those areas was needed, I contacted a lot of travel insurance companies. Amex (through our Company Starwood Account) sent out a rep to explain the insurance. I asked the questions above-primary/secondary, where will you evacuate to, who will pay the bill UPFRONT, how do you get into a foreign hospital or doctor, do you have to pay UPFRONT. The answers were what I posted above and I still have the email sent to me by the rep answering those specific questions. Didn't sound like very good insurance for our situation. Everyone has to decide for themselves.

We stopped insuring our cruises about 50+ cruises ago. Because premium is based on cost of trip, we have saved tens of thousands of dollars as we have (THANKFULLY) never had to cancel a cruise.

We have medical coverage and we have Med Jet Assist for evacuation.

Even if (hope NOT) we have to cancel any cruise in the future, we would still be so hugely ahead by not paying all those premiums for all those years. The first 6-8 or so cruises, you are at risk of losing but once you get to a break even for cost of trip cancelled vs savings on premiums, you realize a very large savings.

You have to be in the position to be able to eat the loss and be willing to take the risk.

I don't recommend this for everyone but if you are okay with self-insuring in the beginning, it is a good choice for some.

never had to cancel a cruise

You are indeed fortunate to never have had to cancel a cruise. We had to cancel one last fall after DH developed a rare bleeding disorder called ITP. Now we are in that "pre-existing condition" situation. Will always have to buy insurance because platelet counts can change day to day. Counts too low and he could develop brain bleeds. :(

sail7seas has given you the perfect answer. That is exactly how we view travel insurance. Supplemental travel health insurance (including evacuation) is very inexpensive and makes the most financial sense.

You do realize Amex insurance is secondary coverage. They will only pay when your own health insurance rejects the claim. AND they expect you to pay the bill UPFRONT up to the limits of your credit card (I would assume Amex card). They also do not evacuate you to home-only to the closest "medically necessary" facility. They MAY send you home IF you have a long recuperation period but that is NOT guaranteed. And they only have 45 days continuous coverage, so no spending the summer in Europe or 3 months on a business trip to Asia/Middle East as I recent did.

When I determined our company possibly had contracts in the Middle East/Asia and extensive travel to those areas was needed, I contacted a lot of travel insurance companies. Amex (through our Company Starwood Account) sent out a rep to explain the insurance. I asked the questions above-primary/secondary, where will you evacuate to, who will pay the bill UPFRONT, how do you get into a foreign hospital or doctor, do you have to pay UPFRONT. The answers were what I posted above and I still have the email sent to me by the rep answering those specific questions. Didn't sound like very good insurance for our situation. Everyone has to decide for themselves.

You are mistaken - my evacuation coverage applies to transportation to home. I have no problem with them picking up after I pay up front to my Amex credit limit - and it is understood that the coverage is secondary to my primary coverage.

I would suggest you make yourself aware of the particular coverage before talking about what is covered.

You are mistaken - my evacuation coverage applies to transportation to home. I have no problem with them picking up after I pay up front to my Amex credit limit - and it is understood that the coverage is secondary to my primary coverage.

I would suggest you make yourself aware of the particular coverage before talking about what is covered.

I suggest you call Amex Assurance and ask about their evac provision. I have it in writing from their rep-evac will be to the first "medically NECESSARY" hospital determined between the attending doctor on the scene, evac company and Amex rep. THEN they MAY evac you to home AFTER you have been in the hospital and the doctor determines you would recuperate better closer to home.

While they may evac you to home from the Caribbean because that is the closest "medically necessary" hospital, they sure won't do it from Europe, Asia or the Middle East. One big reason I purchased my employees MedJet Assist and an out of country medical policy with primary coverage. Amex was definitely cheaper. BUT the coverage was not nearly as good.

If you still believe I am wrong, then please show me in writing so I can go back to Amex and get the coverage. I really would like to save $300 per year x 10 employees.

Annual travel health insurance can be purchased for 7, 14 or 30 day packages they remain in force for a full year but have a condition that you must return for a specific number of days between trips.

Annual travel health insurance can be purchased for 7, 14 or 30 day packages they remain in force for a full year but have a condition that you must return for a specific number of days between trips.

Could you please direct us to a place we can read about such policies? Thanks.

Greatam shared some excellent info a short time ago and I'd like to compare.

Could you please direct us to a place we can read about such policies? Thanks.

Greatam shared some excellent info a short time ago and I'd like to compare.

Sail, I have sent you an email re this.

• 3 weeks later...
Try World Nomad - we are diplomats and do a significant amount of travelling and this is what was recommended to us for the travel needs of our accompanying, non-diplomatic nanny.

Thank you. Appreciate the info. I'm off to check them out.

Try World Nomad - we are diplomats and do a significant amount of travelling and this is what was recommended to us for the travel needs of our accompanying, non-diplomatic nanny.

IF you need yearly trip (they only write 6 month policies) cancellation coverage, this policy has it. It also has baggage coverage. It is cheap.

BUT the exclusions in this policy:

ABSOLUTELY NO pre existing coverage

Secondary coverage for health insurance

NO coverage if you have any type of government health insurance except Medicaid-Medicare is NOT covered, guess most citizens of Europe would not be covered

Will NOT cover if you are anyplace where the US State Dept has issued a travel warning (isn't that just about everyplace in the world except Canada)

IF they determine your luggage was made with "defective materials and workmanship" (THAT is a BIG loophole for NO coverage)

NO terrorism coverage even if you happen to be involved very innocently in a bombing in Europe

Trip Cancellation only covers maximum $5000 TOTAL per policy for the policy duration.

Trip interruption-airline cancels flight for weather-MUST be delayed 24 hours or more

Just some of the "fine print". I personally wouldn't buy this policy for anything EXCEPT business trips and then only for the cancellation features. The medical portion of this policy is NOT very good. Quite a few of the people posting on CC WILL NOT qualify for the policy (Medicare)

World Nomads really is designed for 20 something backpackers. One of their big endorsers is Lonely Planet.

Thanks once again, Greatam. You really are on top of all these policies.

Appreciate your concise, clear way of setting out the terms.

That insurance sounds pretty worthless to most of us.

Thanks once again, Greatam. You really are on top of all these policies.

Appreciate your concise, clear way of setting out the terms.

That insurance sounds pretty worthless to most of us.

Thanks for the kind words.

I have to stay on top of things like this. I have a lot of employees as well as myself traveling world wide in pursuit of our business (international logistics). They all need medical insurance outside the USA, as our company BC/BS will not cover without an expensive international rider. And even with the rider, the coverage is lacking.

I really was astounded at how little the World Nomad policy covered. It is truly designed for 20 something backpackers who are off Mom and Dad's medical policy but still need insurance for all the dings that happen backpacking around the world. For that situation, it is perfectly satisfactory. For anyone over 40 and going on multiple expensive cruise or other type vacations, forget it. Not enough coverage, no medical coverage for quite a few (Medicare and Europeans who have government health care) and just too many "gotchas".

Such a big difference in types of insurance here in the UK compared to the US. We have it as a perk on our Credit Card, 5 * plan covers interruption and cancellation plus medical, and it is free (well included in the yearly fee that I pay for the card). But for the most part an Annual travel policy covers all of that and the price varies on age, but is usually less than £100 per year per person.

Cheers,

Peter

Archived