Question for anyone just returning from Baltics cruise

Hi, anyone who is just returning know anything about the currency exchange machine on the ship? Would like to know what the charge is and if the exchange rate they give you is good or a total rip off? Also can you exchange your left over foreign money back to american dollars? Thanks!!

What ship?

It is always more expensive to change money on the ship

I assume the Emerald Princess based on the OP's signature. I'd be interested in the answer to her question also.

Thanks,

I just got off the Celebrity Constellation - The good news is that the ship had all kinds of money and it was very easy to change at the guest relations desk. The bad news is that the rate is not the best.

I can't remember exactly what I paid for Danish krone, but remember checking at one of the touristy kiosks in town and thought the rates were close enough so that I didn't think the ship rate was terrible - but certainly not the best rate. For me - it was convenience as I had neglected to get any money pre-cuires (very last minute decision to go on Baltic cruise.)

As an aside - we found that we really didn't need much local currency - almost every place took US money or took US credit cards.

Have a great cruise - we did! :D

Thanks! We'll be on the Emerald. My bank charges $5 for each currency exchange so that would add up to at least $25 just to exchange money for each port - so i was hoping the ship exchange would be slightly less expensive....but not knowing the exchange rate, maybe not! perhaps we'll just seek out some ATM's and then exchange it back to US dollars on the ship if we have leftovers.

As an aside - we found that we really didn't need much local currency - almost every place took US money or took US credit cards.

That was our late July-early August 2008 experience in the Baltics. We had some euros, plus dollars and credit card. Did not get or need any "local" currency! We made it work without going through those added hassles and bad exchange rates.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

My understanding is that the best way to get local currency really is from a local ATM. You shouldn't have to pay any kind of exchange fee...just the exchange rate, and it will definitely be way better than either the ship or any of those money-changing kiosks. I've used ATMs all over Europe, and it's always proven to be the best exchange rate. Just don't take out more than you'll actually spend, or you'll end up having to exchange it back, and that's a double whammy.

Thanks LeeAnn - I agree the ATM is likely the best route. Although my bank charges an international atm fee so they always find a way to tack on some extra charge, but like you said no exchange converstion rates which we'll save on using the ATM's.

I do have some left over Euros from a trip to Germany so I wanted to use this up also if they give a decent exchange rate. I know most of these countries don't actually use Euro as their currency but will likely accept it with an exchange rate. Thanks again for all your info!

That was our late July-early August 2008 experience in the Baltics. We had some euros, plus dollars and credit card. Did not get or need any "local" currency! We made it work without going through those added hassles and bad exchange rates.

Terry, or anyone else who can help :),

How did you pay for lunch on your private tour in St. Pete? We are booked with Anastasia, and her info sheet says that rubles are only accepted for souvenirs at touristy places, and that restaurants and cafes (as well as museums and shops) accept only rubles or debit/credit cards.

One of the days we will have a pre-arranged restaurant lunch, and on the other we will get lunch at a cafe.

Thanks!

BVK

Edited version of previous message-- corrects to say that Anastasia info sheet says that DOLLARS (not rubles) are accepted only for souvenirs in touristy places. Apologies--I had a brain cramp, and seem to have missed the editing time window so I had to post it again.

How did you pay for lunch on your private tour in St. Pete? We are booked with Anastasia, and her info sheet says that dollars are accepted only for souvenirs at touristy places, and that restaurants and cafes (as well as museums and shops) accept only rubles or debit/credit cards.

One of the days we will have a pre-arranged restaurant lunch, and on the other we will get lunch at a cafe.

Thanks!

BVK

Edited version of previous message-- corrects to say that Anastasia info sheet says that DOLLARS (not rubles) are accepted only for souvenirs in touristy places. Apologies--I had a brain cramp, and seem to have missed the editing time window so I had to post it again.

How did you pay for lunch on your private tour in St. Pete? We are booked with Anastasia, and her info sheet says that dollars are accepted only for souvenirs at touristy places, and that restaurants and cafes (as well as museums and shops) accept only rubles or debit/credit cards.

Thanks!

BVK

I am not Terry but I know the currency situation well. Euros are accepted of course in Euro using countries but the local currency is required in non-euro countries such as Sweden and Russia. The cheapest method of exchanging money is land based exchange kiosks or banks, they post their buy/sell rates and are competitive other exchange banks. Your bank will add a non-system fee to each ATM or point of sale credit card transaction if not part of the same banking system. They are flat rates usually so they can be expensive for small purchases and minor for larger purchases. Exchange banks charge a nominal service fee, less than a dollar usually, and use a competitive exchange rate but sometimes using them disrupts the tour. ATMs cost more in fees but are very convenient, and cash in local currency gets the best deals in purchases, particularly in Russia.

Some tourist claim you do not need local currency but they pay more because they only can do that with illegal vendors, and because they have to negotiate a price with someone who is an expert in taking advantage of visitors. Better deals are found in stores where prices are marked and where there is competition. All that is of little importance if it is a dollar for a few post cards but if you get something nice, it can mean the difference between a reasonable deal and being taken advantage of. Right now Euros and UK Pounds are very strong against the dollar so people having their money in those currencies normally have a real advantage this week. Those working as a base currency of dollars are not so lucky right now.

Terry, or anyone else who can help :), How did you pay for lunch on your private tour in St. Pete? We are booked with Anastasia, and her info sheet says that dollars are accepted only for souvenirs at touristy places, and that restaurants and cafes (as well as museums and shops) accept only rubles or debit/credit cards. One of the days we will have a pre-arranged restaurant lunch, and on the other we will get lunch at a cafe. Thanks! BVK

One of our lunches in St. Petersburg was on Palace Square in front of the Hermitage after our tour there. We had box lunches brought from the ship. The cost, therefore, was . . . PRICELESS! Our main goal was saving time in doing that. It was great, like a picnic in our open van in this world-class setting on a perfect weather day. At the Peterhof, we grabbed a quick bite to eat there and our friends in our group had some rubbles to cover that cost. We used credit cards much in other areas. Those dining places tend to be the "better" places as opposed to just grabbing something maybe cheaper from a street stand.

As GuideDiva reflects, there are lots of different shops and ways things are done in the Baltics with all of their different local currencies. Finland is official in using the Euro. In Stockholm and Tallinn, many of the shops and places listed prices in Euros and would easily take them.

One of our lunches in St. Petersburg was on Palace Square in front of the Hermitage after our tour there. We had box lunches brought from the ship. The cost, therefore, was . . . PRICELESS! Our main goal was saving time in doing that. It was great, like a picnic in our open van in this world-class setting on a perfect weather day. At the Peterhof, we grabbed a quick bite to eat there and our friends in our group had some rubbles to cover that cost. We used credit cards much in other areas. Those dining places tend to be the "better" places as opposed to just grabbing something maybe cheaper from a street stand.

As GuideDiva reflects, there are lots of different shops and ways things are done in the Baltics with all of their different local currencies. Finland is official in using the Euro. In Stockholm and Tallinn, many of the shops and places listed prices in Euros and would easily take them.

Hi Terry,

What ship were you on and how did you arrange for "box lunches"? Did the ship provide these? We are booked on the Emerald Princess in September and were going to order sandwiches from room service and carry them off in food storage bags. Thanks for your info.

Marian

Hi Terry,

What ship were you on and how did you arrange for "box lunches"? Did the ship provide these? We are booked on the Emerald Princess in September and were going to order sandwiches from room service and carry them off in food storage bags. Thanks for your info. Marian

We were on the Crystal Symphony. They were nice and happy to do these box lunches for our group of four, plus one each for our guide and driver (which was appreciated by them). Your ship is much larger and might not be as flexible in how they can do these types of "special requests". BUT, your plan of ordering through room service seems very possible and probably to make work. Or, prepare some items from the am breakfast buffet line that can work as a lunch. ASK! Most ships, if done ahead, try to be helpful for cruiser needs and interests.

Archived