Northwest/Delta

ptcruzers

I have an opportunity to book NWA/Delta from BUF-FLL via DTW for $212.74 per person, April, 2010. Anybody have anything to offer about NWA and their DC-9 aircraft- I just need a little reassurance. I would love to have a direct flight with WN or JBU, but they are not yet booking out that far and I am afraid their fares may not be as good. Thanx!!;)

You can read about the aircraft here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_DC-9

I fly NW regularly when I travel to the US -- they're an a-ok aircraft, and a mainstay of the NW fleet (including variants) -- if a little tired looking in the cabin. You've managed to score a pretty good price IMHO -- and as I have said in previous posts, I think the bias is for airfares to be increasing in the medium term (increased demand as we surf out of the recession, combined with continued capacity restraints where feasible) Biggest drawback to the aircraft is cabin noise from the fuselage mounted engines as you get to the back of the cabin.

DTW is a great airport through which to transit ... and their 2009 YTD on-time performance as measured by US-DOT is near the top quartile. http://www.bts.gov/programs/airline_information/airline_ontime_tables/2009_03/html/table_04.html

I might be inclined to book it :-)

Scott.

The DC-9 flown by NW/DL is an elderly yet well maintained mainline aircraft. It is the first generation of a series that includes the MD-80, MD-90 and Boeing 717. I fly them on frequently. No bells/whistles amenities like video/audio for passengers, but they are used on short haul flights like BUF/DTW where people can deal with it and listen to their iPods.

Besides, by April 2010, DL may have retired the DC-9's and you will wind up on a different aircraft anyway!

NW has merged with Delta, but they are still in the process of rebranding every thing.

It's not a merge, Delta bought them. The NWA brand is going away by the end of 2010. (It takes a while to paint 500 planes.) Everything will be Delta.

I have flown on these numerous times and haven't had any issues. But like joelamp stated, there are no bells or whistles on the DC-9's (three different types) nor on most of their flights. If the connection time is good and the times work for you, then I would say book it.

Delta did take over, but they are treating the NWA personnel as if it were a merger for the most part.

I have an opportunity to book NWA/Delta from BUF-FLL via DTW for $212.74 per person, April, 2010. Anybody have anything to offer about NWA and their DC-9 aircraft- I just need a little reassurance. I would love to have a direct flight with WN or JBU, but they are not yet booking out that far and I am afraid their fares may not be as good. Thanx!!;)

For that pricing in April 2010 beng offered this early in the game....and not knowing where fuel prices are heading..... I would jump on that fare w/out hesitation. The actual flight time is not that long, so I would not worry about the bells and whistles the interior of the aircraft offers.

They are safe and reliable aircraft.... BOOK IT and don't look back !

I did book said flight at 2245, $424.00 for my wife and I. Less expensive than the flight to our first cruise in 2005. So now we are all set: cruise booked at a really good rate, hotel booked at a really good rate and waiting for a price drop, (already had a drop of $50.00), and now my air is booked. I wish it were April 10 already!! Thanx for your help, guys!!:D

I'll lay odds that if you go to nwa.com and compare that price to the one if you simply booked the DTW-FLL flights without the Buffalo ends of it, that your price is less. I used to notice that all the time, and an NWA agent told me once she had no idea why it worked like, and she had been there 25 years and still had no idea how airline pricing works.

That is a great price in my opinion, and I loved flying the DC-9's back when Air Canada still had them. When it comes time to pick your seats, try for the 2 seat side of the plane.

Archived