portions in the MDR

Just got off the Enchantment and WOW, were the portions in the MDR small! One night I got the shrimp ravioli. My six small pieces of ravioli barely covered the bottom of the bowl. The night i ordered the shrimp I received four medium sized.

I understand you can order more, but I was nearly insulted. I was traveling with some friends of ours for their first time cruise. I was embarrassed and I think they were rather surprised when their plate came. Maybe it has always been this way, I just don't remember.

You are correct, they have cut back on portions, which is fine with me cuz I now feel free to try additional appetizers and always have room for desert! Plus we have room to snack when we are up and about late at night.

I personally find MDR portions more than adequate. With having a good breakfast, lunch and the opportunity to have afternoon tea as well as late night snacks I just can't argue for bigger portions for an evening meal. As the OP said, you can always ask for more.

I personally find MDR portions more than adequate. With having a good breakfast, lunch and the opportunity to have afternoon tea as well as late night snacks I just can't argue for bigger portions for an evening meal. As the OP said, you can always ask for more.

I do agree with you. After soup, salad, appitizer (sp) then dinner, sometimes I do not even have dessert. But yes, for some it may not be enough.

Now that you mention it some of the entrees on the Serenade were a normal size suggested portion. I was always allowed to order what ever I wanted, and I had to turn my bread plate upside down to keep my assistant waiter from placing more on my plate. I told him one night that I was going to fire him :p if he kept sneaking bread on it.

Problem is we always say we're going to do the late night room service or snacks on the ship and we never have room, even on our last cruise. ;)

We did eat early in the WJ one night on a previous cruise so we could do wings and beer on our balcony.

Now that you mention it some of the entrees on the Serenade were a normal size suggested portion. I was always allowed to order what ever I wanted, and I had to turn my bread plate upside down to keep my assistant waiter from placing more on my plate. I told him one night that I was going to fire him :p if he kept sneaking bread on it.

You reminded me of the bread! How could you!!

How delicious were those little one bite things?

Have to say if I WERE ever to complain about the food would be the desserts.... didn't like them too much which was great because it meant that I passed on the dessert most nights.

You reminded me of the bread! How could you!!

How delicious were those little one bite things?

Have to say if I WERE ever to complain about the food would be the desserts.... didn't like them too much which was great because it meant that I passed on the dessert most nights.

Savory Bites.....:) Love them!

It does seem that the serving sizes are smaller than they used to be.

On our recent Explorer cruise I ordered the scampi style shrimp and really did think that they were smaller than I recalled. The waiter came over as soon as I had finished and asked it I wanted more. Worked for me!

I haven't weighed and measured - but I think the portions are a REAL serving size. We are so used to super-size that we no longer recognize a normal serving size.

I have worked hard to lose weight, and am very happy to see the portions. I leave the table feeling comfortable.

We were talking about cruising today with some friends, and we all agreed that we have never left a cruise ship - HUNGRY :eek:

I haven't weighed and measured - but I think the portions are a REAL serving size. We are so used to super-size that we no longer recognize a normal serving size.

I have worked hard to lose weight, and am very happy to see the portions. I leave the table feeling comfortable.

We were talking about cruising today with some friends, and we all agreed that we have never left a cruise ship - HUNGRY :eek:

AMEN! I have been trying to lose weight for our cruise this August and lost some...I just don't eat the way I use to, so it will be good that the portions are smaller. If I feel like I will still be hungry I will order seconds.

4 pieces of shrimp?!?! 6 pieces of ravioli?!?!

Those aren't even meals!!! The're snacks! Are you joking around with us???

Definitely not joking. I am surprised to hear of the (positive) reactions to this. While I don't know every one's ages and eating habits, I am in my mid twenties and not overweight whatsoever so that is not an issue for me. While I can't say I left the dining room hungry, I was barely satisfied. It was almost like something to hold me over till the solarium opened at night.

I am glad you are all satisfied, but in my opinion six small ravioli just doesn't cut it for me.

Definitely not joking. I am surprised to hear of the (positive) reactions to this. While I don't know every one's ages and eating habits, I am in my mid twenties and not overweight whatsoever so that is not an issue for me. While I can't say I left the dining room hungry, I was barely satisfied. It was almost like something to hold me over till the solarium opened at night.

I am glad you are all satisfied, but in my opinion six small ravioli just doesn't cut it for me.

And did you ask for more?

20 + years of cruising I've watch courses disappear, and the portions slowly get smaller. And I've compensated by ordering multiple entrees, but it's a waste that you get multiple sides.

We think the newer protions are more realistic to what people actually eat.

We used to see far too many loaded plates of food being wasted.

For those that really put on the feed bag on a cruise you can order whatever you wish. Just EAT it and don't waste it.

ATB, I agree. As a culture we've become accustomed to large portion sizes. When you look at "typical" portion sizes throughout the years, we've nearly doubled the portion. A standard portion for a serving of meat/fish/etc should be no larger than the size of a deck of cards. At the same time, we've decreased our physical activity. Not a good equation for an appropriate energy balance.

somehow though I do not believe RC is making these changes is for our health benefit. I'm not saying they should have huge portions where the food goes to waste. But where does this stop? One piece of shrimp? One ravioli? "oh but you can ask for more." I know I am exaggerating being facetious but for those of you who think its the perfect size, what happens when they cut back further? Will you still have the same attitude? What happens if all the sudden you cannot ask for more?

Don't I know it!!! Will a dozen be enough for ya?? :p

Love ya, D! ;)

Yep, loves those also!

Some portion sizes can be on the small side. Especially, the seafood dishes.

Let's face it, it's to cut costs, not be healthy.

Well, I'm definitely OK with it! I'm not used to eating alot of food at once. I eat a little at a time, several times a day. I hate the feeling of being over-stuffed, especially in a satin fitted dress! I tend to like the appetizers better than the entrees, so now I can order two appetizers and an entree, and that should be plenty.

When large portions are put in front of us, how many of us tend to eat it just because it's there, even though we're full?

I use to eat to excess and that overstuffed feeling...not to healthy! When I use to eat a lot I use to order multiple dishes, which is what I recommend to everyone that thinks the portions are to small. The staff will not mind.

Yep, loves those also!

Some portion sizes can be on the small side. Especially, the seafood dishes.

Let's face it, it's to cut costs, not be healthy.

I totally agree. The motivation behind Royal Caribbean cutting the portion sizes might be to save some money, but if it turns out to be a healthy switch for the passengers, is that bad?

Archived