Ryndam and Statendam post-drydock deck plans ...

pms4104

Too much time on my hands ... was poking around on HAL's site and lookiing at the post-drydock deck plans for these two ships. Unless my eyes deceive me, and I don't think that is the case, there are no Lanai cabins on the Lower Promenade. Further, there is a Seaview Pool rather than a Retreat.

My guess is that HAL has re-thought their plans and is quietly making adjustments without launching a full press release PR thing.

You may be correct.

It seems the experience with the Veendam did not go all that well. It was late in getting out of drydock...had to sail with workers still onboard and work not done...some pools did not come on line until the launch cruise was almost half over. I think it is too early....and somewhat unfair...to be critical of the results until more have sailed on her and reviewed the changes. That said...I think it is fair to say that so far the reviews I have read have not been raving successes.

Maybe Seattle has decided to reduce the scope of the renos in order to reduce the drydock time to a realistic number of days to have the work completed....and is listening to some of the criticisms coming from passengers already.

Just some thoughts.

There has been ongoing speculation on these boards since RevNeal posted live from the Ryndam and stated that the Hotel Manager announced at the Mariner Brunch that the Ryndam, Statendam, Maasdam would not be getting the full makeover like the Veendam.

Have not seen a HAL announcement about the reduced amount of changes to these ships ... but I feel that the revised post-drydock deck plans speak volumes.

Perhaps it's the economy (beaucoup bucks to do all that work) or maybe it's because the Veendam didn't materialize as anticipated.

Have not seen a HAL announcement about the reduced amount of changes to these ships ... but I feel that the revised post-drydock deck plans speak volumes.

Your thoughts are consistent with an update that HAL has made on their website. No big press release but their SOE announcement now mentions that only the Veendam and the Rotterdam will get lanai cabins & the retreat pool. http://www.hollandamerica.com/SOE

In the Q&A session with the Captain on Ryndam last month, I asked about the modifications and I thought he said they were moving the existing aft pool up a deck. I thought I had misunderstood him, but I may have (for once) heard it correctly.

Gary

In the Q&A session with the Captain on Ryndam last month, I asked about the modifications and I thought he said they were moving the existing aft pool up a deck. I thought I had misunderstood him, but I may have (for once) heard it correctly.

Gary

The pool seems unmoved on the Statendam and Ryndam, comparing pre- and post-drydock deckplans on the site. Also, didn't see Slice or a new bar poolside ... so perhaps the TV screen also will not be installed.

The pool seems unmoved on the Statendam and Ryndam, comparing pre- and post-drydock deckplans on the site. Also, didn't see Slice or a new bar poolside ... so perhaps the TV screen also will not be installed.

So, the pool will stay on Navigation Deck? There won't be any additional cabins on that deck?

Somehow I got it in my head that the outside/veranda cabins would be added, and everything would move up to Lido Deck, but that there would be room for a pool if no inside cabins were added.

Guess I got it all wrong???

Either way works for me as long as there's a real pool, and they lose the outdoor TV set.

So, the pool will stay on Navigation Deck? There won't be any additional cabins on that deck?

Somehow I got it in my head that the outside/veranda cabins would be added, and everything would move up to Lido Deck, but that there would be room for a pool if no inside cabins were added.

Guess I got it all wrong???

Either way works for me as long as there's a real pool, and they lose the outdoor TV set.

Yes, Ruth, the pool seems to be staying on the Nav Deck ... and I'm not seeing a lot (if any) changes to the aft areas. One change I did notice is the refit of cabins fore on the Verandah deck (IIRC) to be spa staterooms.

You didn't get it all wrong ... HAL just changed what we expected based on their previous announcements.

Archived