London, Paris or Barcelona~where would you stay for a week

Thank You Everyone, I think we know what we are going to do now:D I think we will spend a week in Paris and then go to London for a day trip or spend 2 days in London:eek:

We may go to Barcelona for 1 or 2 days as we may take a 7 day cruise out of Barcelona, but not sure yet or we just might fly home from Paris or London;)

We are doing the TA on the Independence of the Seas next April and going over to England from Fort Lauderdale:cool:

Carol:)

Carol - how are you? Been wanting to talk to you. We are going on the Mercury in October with Ms. Lorna so we are looking forward to seeing you then!!! Paris is a wonderful city - Dennis and I had been to both London and Paris as young adults while he was in the military. I had a completely different view of Paris this time and wish we had had more than a day. The rich history is beyond belief. I absolutely next time want to go to the museum D'Orsay (sp?) - love Monet. We took the Hop on/Hop off bus around the city - great way to sit up top and see the sights - and get off where you want to at the major stops - $30 or so for 2 days. Notre Dame is magnificent. We stayed at a small hotel within a block or so of the metro - Grand Francais - great price - rooms are very small but what hotel rooms in Paris aren't!!??!! if you need more info - just e-mail me at mlacey2 at sbcglobal.net

First morning we had french baguettes at the cafe by the hotel - toasted with fresh butter and strawberry jam. mmmm and great coffee. You will love Paris.

Looking forward to meeting you finally!! Mary

With a name like "flames," I am almost afraid to post. :D But you seem really good people, so here goes.

Background: We have lived in Europe, for a few months each, in London, two places in Germany, and in Northern Italy. We have traveled back to Europe several times.

If we had to visit only one place on your list, it would be London. We do not think of it as a dirty city, as someone mentioned. This is not because of the language, you can manage with English most places in Europe, perhaps with minor difficulties. London has so much to offer. The theater is great and you can find several shows at the half-price ticket office. (Go to the real one, at the lower end of Leicester Square.) There are museums all over, and they are free. The many pubs provide inexpensive places to eat. The Brits are usually helpful. The Underground (subway) will get you anywhere. Also, the Pound is a bit better than the Euro at this time.

We have been to Paris. My DW had been there before when we spent three days there in 1991. We went to many of the sights, but not the Louvre. We started to go, but it was raining and we don't care for the pyramid entry. We have since learned that with advance arrangements, you can get into the Louvre by other entries.

We have had several nights in Barcelona. It is interesting. Our best event there was attending the opera "Aida."

I assume you are sailing from Barcelona. Have you considered spending four nights in London, or Paris, then three nights in Barcelona? Four nights in the first city to allow one for jet lag. To me, this would be the best if I had never been to Europe before.

In the future, if you really want to be adventuresome, rent or lease a car and drive on the continent. After you recover from your first "white knuckle" experience on a German Autobahn, you will be fine. :D

Bob :cool:

Bob, you are so cute and everyone else thinks the same, we used to live in Calgary, Alberta and the NHL hockey team's name is Flames, so that is where the name comes from:D

I don't think we would like to see what it is like to drive on the Autobahn:eek:

I think we will enjoy Paris and London and maybe see a show or two over there also:cool:

Carol

Carol - how are you? Been wanting to talk to you. We are going on the Mercury in October with Ms. Lorna so we are looking forward to seeing you then!!! Paris is a wonderful city - Dennis and I had been to both London and Paris as young adults while he was in the military. I had a completely different view of Paris this time and wish we had had more than a day. The rich history is beyond belief. I absolutely next time want to go to the museum D'Orsay (sp?) - love Monet. We took the Hop on/Hop off bus around the city - great way to sit up top and see the sights - and get off where you want to at the major stops - $30 or so for 2 days. Notre Dame is magnificent. We stayed at a small hotel within a block or so of the metro - Grand Francais - great price - rooms are very small but what hotel rooms in Paris aren't!!??!! if you need more info - just e-mail me at mlacey2 at sbcglobal.net

First morning we had french baguettes at the cafe by the hotel - toasted with fresh butter and strawberry jam. mmmm and great coffee. You will love Paris.

Looking forward to meeting you finally!! Mary

Hi Mary, I was talking to Lorna today and she told me that you will be on the Mercury with her, so now I will finally get to meet you and Dennis:cool:

Hi Mary, I was talking to Lorna today and she told me that you will be on the Mercury with her, so now I will finally get to meet you and Dennis:cool:

Lorna is on the phone and just telling me that she talked to you!! We can hardly wait to meet you Carol and see that area - we have never been to Canada or NW U.S. so are looking forward to it. Take care - October will be before we know it! Talk to you soon. Mary

London win hands down.

Every major city may be called dirty if you look hard enough.

But for the history food culture shows sites and food London wins hands down.

While you visit London be sure to spend a half day at Kew Gardens and another day in Widsor.

Second choice i would go with Barcelona (but not for a week).

As for Paris overated and overpriced.

I am having a hard time on picking a place to stay for a week, I could stay in London, Paris or Barcelona:confused:

Has anyone stayed in these places and what would you do if you had a chance to go back to only one:eek:

All good, but check the number of rain days per month for the time of year you are going. Barcelona is the hands down winner spring and fall.

For me it is close between London and Paris, but I would go with London. Definitely not Barcelona, although it is a nice place. You can pretty much see everything there in 2-3 days. There are lots of good day trips out from London, and so much to see in London. And you could do the chunnel over to Paris. Have fun!

London win hands down.

Every major city may be called dirty if you look hard enough.

But for the history food culture shows sites and food London wins hands down.

While you visit London be sure to spend a half day at Kew Gardens and another day in Widsor.

Second choice i would go with Barcelona (but not for a week).

As for Paris overated and overpriced.

Thanks Jmoore, I will be going to both London & Paris and I will check out the Kew Gardens as I love an English Garden and I will not miss Windsor:)

All good, but check the number of rain days per month for the time of year you are going. Barcelona is the hands down winner spring and fall.

Hello FLGolfer, We are going to do Spain and Italy in the Fall of 2011 so we may just do England and Paris for now:cool:

Thank You Everyone, I think we know what we are going to do now:D I think we will spend a week in Paris and then go to London for a day trip or spend 2 days in London:eek:

Excellent choice! If you are staying in one place for awhile, consider an apartment instead of a hotel; major cities all seem to have short term apartment rental agencies. We used (all one word) Paris Vacation Apartments dot com and had a wonderful experience with them.

For me it is close between London and Paris, but I would go with London. Definitely not Barcelona, although it is a nice place. You can pretty much see everything there in 2-3 days. There are lots of good day trips out from London, and so much to see in London. And you could do the chunnel over to Paris. Have fun!

LonghornLady, We will be getting off the Ship in England so we will do both London and Paris, I aways wanted to see Paris in the Spring:D

Excellent choice! If you are staying in one place for awhile, consider an apartment instead of a hotel; major cities all seem to have short term apartment rental agencies. We used (all one word) Paris Vacation Apartments dot com and had a wonderful experience with them.

Linda, we will be staying at a time share so we well have a good rate no matter where we stay, but I will look into this Paris Vacation Apartments also, Thank you for that info:cool:

I am having a hard time on picking a place to stay for a week, I could stay in London, Paris or Barcelona:confused:

Has anyone stayed in these places and what would you do if you had a chance to go back to only one:eek:

It's like Sophie's Choice!!

Mike

It's like Sophie's Choice!!

Mike

Mike, you were booked for the cruise that I am going on, it was Lee who started the thread, so where would you have stayed if you had come on the Independence next April:eek:

:cool:

Bob, you are so cute and everyone else thinks the same, we used to live in Calgary, Alberta and the NHL hockey team's name is Flames, so that is where the name comes from:D

I don't think we would like to see what it is like to drive on the Autobahn:eek:

I think we will enjoy Paris and London and maybe see a show or two over there also.

Carol

Carol, I would like to tell you that I am six three, 220 pounds, and a spitin' image of Clark Gable. But I can't. :D

You live in one of the nicest places on earth. Vancouver Island is unique. We stayed four nights in the Empress Hotel ( I recall that Empress is the name) in Victoria some years back. Rates were good at the time and our room was in the eastern tower on the fourth floor. We could look at the inner harbour from our room. We visited the beautiful gardens one day, and drove out about 50 miles another. I recall some kind of monument out there. We could see the States from there.

I was only half kidding about the autobahn. I hope you continue to cruise RCL lines. (I own stock.) However, if you want to really see Europe you must go inland. For you young people the very best way is to rent or lease a car. Your itinerary is then yours. You go anywhere. Just remember "to a German an electric stop signal is a command, to an Italian it is a challenge." :D

Bob :cool:

Archived