London, Paris or Barcelona~where would you stay for a week

I am having a hard time on picking a place to stay for a week, I could stay in London, Paris or Barcelona:confused:

Has anyone stayed in these places and what would you do if you had a chance to go back to only one:eek:

Carol:)

I am having a hard time on picking a place to stay for a week, I could stay in London, Paris or Barcelona:confused:

Has anyone stayed in these places and what would you do if you had a chance to go back to only one:eek:

Should I assume that you have never been to any of them?

I've worked or vacationed in all three of the cities you mention. My favorite is Paris but if I only had a few days, I think I would pick Barcelona. When I was there, I stayed at the Hotel Arts, a fantastic hotel on the Med. There is so much to see in Barcelona but not so much that you would feel overwhelmed. Paris takes many days, weeks actually, to experience it fully. Out of the three, London is my least favorite. It's a bit of a dirty city, but if you like musicals and theater, you might opt for London just to see the shows. The London Eye is great fun as well.

But...my vote is for Barcelona!

Last year we did precruise stays at all three places, 2 days each in London and Paris, 1 day Barcelona. We enjoyed each one but if we were to go back again it would be to Paris. If you can maybe you should split the week and spend a few days at each one and experience all three places on one trip. It's very easy to do. Eurostar from London to Paris and Easyjet to BCN. Good luck.

I've been to Paris and London but not Barcelona. I loved London and would go back there again in a heartbeat. However, if you have to choose just one and have never been to any of them, Paris would be an excellent choice.

With a name like "flames," I am almost afraid to post. :D But you seem really good people, so here goes.

Background: We have lived in Europe, for a few months each, in London, two places in Germany, and in Northern Italy. We have traveled back to Europe several times.

If we had to visit only one place on your list, it would be London. We do not think of it as a dirty city, as someone mentioned. This is not because of the language, you can manage with English most places in Europe, perhaps with minor difficulties. London has so much to offer. The theater is great and you can find several shows at the half-price ticket office. (Go to the real one, at the lower end of Leicester Square.) There are museums all over, and they are free. The many pubs provide inexpensive places to eat. The Brits are usually helpful. The Underground (subway) will get you anywhere. Also, the Pound is a bit better than the Euro at this time.

We have been to Paris. My DW had been there before when we spent three days there in 1991. We went to many of the sights, but not the Louvre. We started to go, but it was raining and we don't care for the pyramid entry. We have since learned that with advance arrangements, you can get into the Louvre by other entries.

We have had several nights in Barcelona. It is interesting. Our best event there was attending the opera "Aida."

I assume you are sailing from Barcelona. Have you considered spending four nights in London, or Paris, then three nights in Barcelona? Four nights in the first city to allow one for jet lag. To me, this would be the best if I had never been to Europe before.

In the future, if you really want to be adventuresome, rent or lease a car and drive on the continent. After you recover from your first "white knuckle" experience on a German Autobahn, you will be fine. :D

Bob :cool:

I've worked or vacationed in all three of the cities you mention. My favorite is Paris but if I only had a few days, I think I would pick Barcelona. When I was there, I stayed at the Hotel Arts, a fantastic hotel on the Med. There is so much to see in Barcelona but not so much that you would feel overwhelmed. Paris takes many days, weeks actually, to experience it fully. Out of the three, London is my least favorite. It's a bit of a dirty city, but if you like musicals and theater, you might opt for London just to see the shows. The London Eye is great fun as well.

But...my vote is for Barcelona!

Older Party,

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree with you more. Everyone has their own taste! Of the three places, London would be my favorite with Paris a close second. Barcelona is wonderful, but sorry, for a week? I guess the thing I most disagree with you on is the London being "dirty". Are you serious? What part of London did you visit/stay in? I mean, wow, not a word I would associate with most of the tourist areas of London.

Funny, the first time I visited Paris, after taking the Eurostar (Chunnel Train) from London some years back (90's), I thought Paris seemed a bit "dingy" in appearance overall compared to London. The next time I visited Paris (in 2005) they were in the running for the 2012 Olympics against London and other cities. Wow, there seemed to be a complete "whitewash" of paint on many of the buildings and the city was really "cleaned up".

Barcelona was easy to navigate, certainly with a cruise. A very beautiful City with rich history.

I don't want to take anything away from the beauty and history of all of these cities, but for a week? I would stay in London, with a 2 night jaunt over to Paris on the Eurostar, midweek. We did just that in the late '90's and it was great!

By the way, DH and I leave for London later today for a 5 night cruise to Ireland out of London RT and then a stay in London sightseeing. Our 4th trip to London. I have been to Paris twice. Barcelona once.

JMO,

Colleen

Have only been to London and Paris. In fact, last time I was there, we had the pleaseure to take the Chunnel from London to Paris. It was so easy, I forgot there was going to be a language change!

If I had a week, it would definately be Paris. But you can't go wrong with London either!

I have stayed in all 3 cities for a week and I would pick Barcelona as well. London as my second choice and Paris as my third. In Paris by our fifth day I was bored and talked DH into taking a day trip on a 20 minute train ride to Versailles. Since then I returned to Paris on our Northern European cruise and the second time it did nothing for me. Paris is magical the first time you see it for the first few days and after that you've had enough.

Barcelona on the other hand is so modern, fun, and diverse, there is a lot to see. London was also great the only down side about is how crowded it gets during the week, luckily we spent the majority of our time there during the weekend. In London you can also take a side trip to many great small towns, including the Windsor Castle and Cambridge.

I haven't been to Barcelona, so I cannot speak to that, however, I have been to London and Paris several times. As other posters mentioned, it's easy to actually visit both of these wonderful cities on the same trip due to the simplicity and ease of traveling on the Eurostar (Chunnel train), which travels from city center to city center of both London and Paris. Each of those cities are wonderful, exciting and vibrant and I'd be hard pressed to choose one over the other, but if forced to, I'd pick Paris. Both cities have excellent public transportation systems, not just in the city itself, but also to outlying areas. Independent touring is very easy in both cities. Do your homework and make the best decision for you.

Have a great trip wherever you end up!

Karen

How about staying in London then take the Eurostar to Paris and stay for a day or two there or visa versa. This year we are doing just that except from Paris we are taking the overnight train to Barcelona. They are all wonderful cities and it will be difficult to choose one but which ever you choose it will be a memorable trip.

We've been to all 3 several times, and for a first trip I'd go with London. No language problem, the people are great, the underground can get you anywhere, great museums and attractions, and not expensive if you plan carefully. Love that pub grub and ale.

Second choice, Barcelona, Third, Paris.

I have stayed in all of these cities, and it would be hard for me to choose. If you haven't traveled to europe you might be more comfortable in London. I love london there are so many fun things to do. Lorelle

for my two cents.

i would pick London or paris first. I have been to all three cities. I love london for history, the food and the culture. Love the museums there and theatre.

paris has everything-but more expensive. again all I can see is lots is museums there too.shoppinbg all day.

the last place I would stay in Spain. If you are sailing from Spain then I would spend time in madrid to see go to the Parda museum.

I have never been to Paris however living in England have been to London many times and is lots to see and do there. We are staying in Barcelona for 1 week pre cruise this June and it seems there is lots to see and do in Barcelona to keep us amused for a week:)

I've never been to Barcelona although I hope to soon.

Been to both London and Paris and loved both. Spent more time in Paris and it would be my first choice with London a close second. I had to spend a lot of time in Paris due to work and toured alot and one time did the Eurostar via the Chunnel to London, easy to do if you want both. Also did a tour out to Normandy which is easy to do but will take a full day.

I never had any trouble getting around due to a language barrier. The French will resort to being helpful and speak English if you make an attempt at speaking some basic French. Spent a month at a time and still could have toured more.

My teen age daughter wanted to go to Barcelona this summer but I persuaded her to go to Paris first, I want her to see that beautiful city for the first time with me....

Carol,

Ask Mary and Lorna about the hotel we stayed in in Paris -- and the little Cafe/Bakery just down the street.

Aside from one minor incident at the ferry port, we found the French pretty friendly and helpful. If you have never been to either, you might consider splitting a week between Paris and London. They are fairly close together and the Eurostar makes the travel pretty easy.

D

I've been to all 3 cities as a tourist, not a worker, or resident. I loved all 3 places, but I would return to Paris in a heartbeat! Lanugauge is no problem at all.. unless you go way off the main path, everyone speaks English just fine.

London is a close second.

Barcelona... hmmm, although I enjoyed it, I probably would not return there. It's interesting, but not NEAR as much to see as the Paris or London.

The big draw for Paris was the very historic northern France countryside. I'm a WW2 buff and loved touring the sites or Normandy. But, seeing all that and Paris would take more than a week.. just stick to Paris.

It was also tough for us to decide, so we saw all three cities. We've been to Barcelona 3 times, postcruise. Lovely, walkable city, lots of unusual architecture. However, I wouldn't spend one week in Barcelona. Also, hotels are quite expensive. Two years ago, following our TA cruise, we toured Spain and Portugal and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Last year, we spent 5 days in Paris. Loved seeing Paris in Springtime, very charming. We found a reasonably priced small hotel in the Latin Quarter ( 5 min. walk from Notre Dame). Great location-we were able to walk to so many sights. If we had more time, I would have added a couple of out of town trips. Certainly helps if you know a few phrases in French.

We recently returned from a TA cruise to Barcelona, followed by one week in London. We feel London offers the most for sightseeing, historical sights, great food at various price levels, and if museums are your thing, lots of them are free. It's very easy to use their transportation system and signs are in English, which helps. While London is expensive, we managed to get the best hotel rate there ( used Priceline). We broke up our week with a couple of out of town day trips to Oxford and Hampton Court Palace, which we easy to do by train.

Enjoy whatever you decide.

Thank You Everyone, I think we know what we are going to do now:D I think we will spend a week in Paris and then go to London for a day trip or spend 2 days in London:eek:

We may go to Barcelona for 1 or 2 days as we may take a 7 day cruise out of Barcelona, but not sure yet or we just might fly home from Paris or London;)

We are doing the TA on the Independence of the Seas next April and going over to England from Fort Lauderdale:cool:

Archived