PG Packing List?

B6driver

I have seen several posts referring to a PG packing list from JimB...Can someone (maybe JimB) post the link?? Thanks!

Here is the copy that Jim sent me. We leave for Tahiti in 2 weeks.

Karen

Society Islands of French Polynesia

Tahiti

7 to 10 day cruise on Regent Paul Gauguin

What we would take if we had the opportunity to go back to Tahiti and cruise the Paul Gauguin. Came up with this list because of airline weight restrictions, and how casual the cruise is. Now this might change a little with the new carry on restrictions that seem to change frequently.

LUGGAGE:

Since domestic airlines have either 40 to 50 lb per piece of checked luggage and 2 pieces of luggage per person restrictions, we have changed how we pack. (Note some airlines are now charging for all checked bag). We have each switched to a 25” or 26” suitcase with rollers & handle. We both take a 16” to 18” satchel or duffle bag that can slide over the suitcase handle to make it easier to get around airports etc. Heavy items like shoes etc go in the satchel. I put ½ of my things in each bag and wife puts ½ of her things in each bag.

We then both take an additional 16” or 18” satchel as a carry on with all the things you need with you as well as things you might need for one overnight.

NOTE: Remember you can not carry -on anything over 3 oz and up to 6 items needs to fit in a quart zipper bag.

EXTRA THINGS TO TAKE:

Each of you should have a cheap blow up mattress you can use at Tahaa Motu and

also Bora Bora beach day. (Well worth it)

1 Beach bag

Sunscreen

12’ extension cord. (Need this if you prefer to use the hair dryer in the bathroom

instead of dressing table.)

Alarm clock and a little plug in night light.

Clothes steamer.

PACKING:

Men:

2 pair of dress shorts. (Khaki and navy or black)

2 pair of slacks. (Khaki and navy or black) cotton styles are just fine.

4 polo / short sleeve sport shirts

3 casual t-shirts. (go with shorts and swimwear).

1 t-shirt to wear snorkeling.

2 or 3 pairs of swim trunks.

1 pair reef shoes. (Walmart $5.00 ones work great)

1 pair sandals

1 pair shoes for wearing with slacks.

1 pair tennis shoes. (This is an option if you prefer them over sandals)

1 light weight jacket. (semi water proof preferred)

1 hat or cap

NO SUITS, SPORT COATS, OR TIES!!!! Page 1 of 3

Ladies:

2 pair of dress shorts

1 pair of dressier slacks

4 polo/ short sleeved blouses

4 t-shirts

1 t-shirt for snorkeling

3 swim suits

4 Sun dresses

2 pair of sandals.

1 pair reef shoes

1 pair shoes for slacks. (option)

1 pair tennis shoes. (option)

1 shawl (need it at dinner. A/C works real well)

1 light weight jacket (semi waterproof)

1 hat or cap

The first thing we noticed on our cruise was that the “veteran” cruiser knows how to pack light. They are not afraid to wear things more than once. Sometimes 3 or 4 times. Nobody cares and it sure makes packing a lot easier.

Hope this is of some help. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

If you have any interest in a galley or bridge tour ask at the reception desk.

To get your free snorkel gear go thru the door by travel desk, all the way to the back

of the ship, down the stairs. You will keep this in your cabin until 2nd to last day when you return it.

Recommend you try and be on the 1st tender for the free Tahaa (Motu Mahana) day. Only so you can pick the best spot.

Some in our group, (we did not purchase), thought that the vendors here had the best prices on loose pearls. (Just passing this along).

Went for a walk to the island behind this one. Water got to about chest high

in places. Fun to do. Water temperature is about 90 degrees.

On a scale of 1 to 10 our cruise aboard the Paul Gauguin was at least at 12!

Fantastic. Get ready to enjoy yourselves!!

Jim B

Page 2 of 3

Cruises we have been very fortunate to take or will be.

(Acronym)

03/22/80 Commodore MS Caribe (7 days Eastern Caribbean)

02/15/03 Regent Paul Gauguin (7 days Tahiti)

02/22/04 Norwegian Dream (ick) (7 days Western Caribbean)

11/12/04 Regent Mariner (7 days Mexican Riviera) (MINT)

02/15/05 Regent Diamond (7 days Southern Caribbean) (ADRIFT)

12/27/05 Regent Voyager (14 days Panama Canal. FLL to LAX) (PARTY)

01/09/07 Regent Mariner (12 days Segment #1 Amazon River) (AMAZON)

12/03/07 Regent Mariner (19 days Auckland NZ to LAX) (LAMB)

03/11/09 Regent Navigator (12 days Western Caribbean) (FUN)

12/02/09 Amadeus MS Amacello (12 day Europe land & river cruise) (PARIS)

Page 3 of 3

Here is the copy that Jim sent me. We leave for Tahiti in 2 weeks.

Karen

Society Islands of French Polynesia

Tahiti

7 to 10 day cruise on Regent Paul Gauguin

What we would take if we had the opportunity to go back to Tahiti and cruise the Paul Gauguin. Came up with this list because of airline weight restrictions, and how casual the cruise is. Now this might change a little with the new carry on restrictions that seem to change frequently.

LUGGAGE:

Since domestic airlines have either 40 to 50 lb per piece of checked luggage and 2 pieces of luggage per person restrictions, we have changed how we pack. (Note some airlines are now charging for all checked bag). We have each switched to a 25” or 26” suitcase with rollers & handle. We both take a 16” to 18” satchel or duffle bag that can slide over the suitcase handle to make it easier to get around airports etc. Heavy items like shoes etc go in the satchel. I put ½ of my things in each bag and wife puts ½ of her things in each bag.

We then both take an additional 16” or 18” satchel as a carry on with all the things you need with you as well as things you might need for one overnight.

NOTE: Remember you can not carry -on anything over 3 oz and up to 6 items needs to fit in a quart zipper bag.

EXTRA THINGS TO TAKE:

Each of you should have a cheap blow up mattress you can use at Tahaa Motu and

also Bora Bora beach day. (Well worth it)

1 Beach bag

Sunscreen

12’ extension cord. (Need this if you prefer to use the hair dryer in the bathroom

instead of dressing table.)

Alarm clock and a little plug in night light.

Clothes steamer.

PACKING:

Men:

2 pair of dress shorts. (Khaki and navy or black)

2 pair of slacks. (Khaki and navy or black) cotton styles are just fine.

4 polo / short sleeve sport shirts

3 casual t-shirts. (go with shorts and swimwear).

1 t-shirt to wear snorkeling.

2 or 3 pairs of swim trunks.

1 pair reef shoes. (Walmart $5.00 ones work great)

1 pair sandals

1 pair shoes for wearing with slacks.

1 pair tennis shoes. (This is an option if you prefer them over sandals)

1 light weight jacket. (semi water proof preferred)

1 hat or cap

NO SUITS, SPORT COATS, OR TIES!!!! Page 1 of 3

Ladies:

2 pair of dress shorts

1 pair of dressier slacks

4 polo/ short sleeved blouses

4 t-shirts

1 t-shirt for snorkeling

3 swim suits

4 Sun dresses

2 pair of sandals.

1 pair reef shoes

1 pair shoes for slacks. (option)

1 pair tennis shoes. (option)

1 shawl (need it at dinner. A/C works real well)

1 light weight jacket (semi waterproof)

1 hat or cap

The first thing we noticed on our cruise was that the “veteran” cruiser knows how to pack light. They are not afraid to wear things more than once. Sometimes 3 or 4 times. Nobody cares and it sure makes packing a lot easier.

Hope this is of some help. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

If you have any interest in a galley or bridge tour ask at the reception desk.

To get your free snorkel gear go thru the door by travel desk, all the way to the back

of the ship, down the stairs. You will keep this in your cabin until 2nd to last day when you return it.

Recommend you try and be on the 1st tender for the free Tahaa (Motu Mahana) day. Only so you can pick the best spot.

Some in our group, (we did not purchase), thought that the vendors here had the best prices on loose pearls. (Just passing this along).

Went for a walk to the island behind this one. Water got to about chest high

in places. Fun to do. Water temperature is about 90 degrees.

On a scale of 1 to 10 our cruise aboard the Paul Gauguin was at least at 12!

Fantastic. Get ready to enjoy yourselves!!

Jim B

Page 2 of 3

Cruises we have been very fortunate to take or will be.

(Acronym)

03/22/80 Commodore MS Caribe (7 days Eastern Caribbean)

02/15/03 Regent Paul Gauguin (7 days Tahiti)

02/22/04 Norwegian Dream (ick) (7 days Western Caribbean)

11/12/04 Regent Mariner (7 days Mexican Riviera) (MINT)

02/15/05 Regent Diamond (7 days Southern Caribbean) (ADRIFT)

12/27/05 Regent Voyager (14 days Panama Canal. FLL to LAX) (PARTY)

01/09/07 Regent Mariner (12 days Segment #1 Amazon River) (AMAZON)

12/03/07 Regent Mariner (19 days Auckland NZ to LAX) (LAMB)

03/11/09 Regent Navigator (12 days Western Caribbean) (FUN)

12/02/09 Amadeus MS Amacello (12 day Europe land & river cruise) (PARIS)

Page 3 of 3

Aloha;

That's a pretty good packing list. I think we almost qualify as Veteran P.G. cruisers. We will have 59 days on the P.G. with our upcoming b2b2b cruise. One of the best things to remember, less is more! We have made the rookie mistake of bringing way to much stuff the first time and now know what to pack and not to pack.

You are so right in that no one cares, as long as you feel good you look good it's all great! They have dry cleaning services available for less than paying and lugging extra clothes. Shipboard credits can also be used for that, but spa treatments are better:D

I would add plenty of suntan lotion and some mosquito wipes depending on your activities.

I can float without a blow-up mattress, which may blow you too far out to sea, however a blow-up ring for my coconut Cocktail at motu mahana is nice with a long straw. The little ring will float most people when not filled with a coconut cocktail.;)

Aloha for now

Larry and Cindy

And thank you Jim B for writing the list.

However, I'm even considering bringing two pairs of shoes for myself for night wear (brown and black), though I don't need the tennis shoes during the day so one pair will sub in and be on my feet on the plane. For women, you suggest three pairs total. Now, I definitely don't mean anything negative about women in general, and I'm sure there are plenty of men that like shoes too, but what drug or hypnotic method do you suggest I use in order to convince my dear DW that she can get by for 11 nights and a precruise stay with only 3 pairs of shoes :eek:

With all due respect to Jim's list, he's a guy when it comes to shoes ;). Here's what a lady can take for shoes:

- dressy sandals

- dressy flats or pumps (optional, I make do with the above)

- every day sandals for shipboard and walking around

- athletic sandals if you like that sort of thing, running shoes if you don't

- flip flops, at least one pair, plus an extra dressy pair of you like

- reef shoes

I in fact did with only 3 pairs plus the flip flops and reef shoes last time.

With all due respect to Jim's list, he's a guy when it comes to shoes ;). Here's what a lady can take for shoes:

- dressy sandals

- dressy flats or pumps (optional, I make do with the above)

- every day sandals for shipboard and walking around

- athletic sandals if you like that sort of thing, running shoes if you don't

- flip flops, at least one pair, plus an extra dressy pair of you like

- reef shoes

I in fact did with only 3 pairs plus the flip flops and reef shoes last time.

Okay, I'll run your list by her as well, when she recovers from the shock of Jim's. Maybe I can at least convince her to limit herself to only 11 pairs for 11 nights? (I even have to add scuba booties to the list since we're divers with our own gear, though those can sub in for the reef shoes - obviously divers who bring gear are even more packing challenged, though when you think about it, even the currently lowered airline limits for two people of 4 x 50 lbs still adds up to 200 lbs worth of clothes and shoes and stuff, it should be enough to clothe a family of four for a year, what's wrong with us !?!?!) - Actually, it's not the shoes that weigh a lot as sandals are light, it's the various hair products, cosmetics, and such that she won't leave behind, while I'll be happy with whatever Regent sticks in the shower :D

Has Imelda Marcos ever sailed on the PG?

Just weighed my suitcase.....10 days in advance (29 pound so far and an e book!) Trying to keep it light. We will be on the road for 6 weeks. Hanging out in Hawaii before we head back east. I do need to keep changing shoes so my feet don't bother me too much. So I have water booties, water sandals, sneakers, light dress sandals and ones I can walk in. So far. Nice to be a man sometimes.

Jim- glad you were ok with me sending your list. I was hoping you would be ok with it.

Karen

Yes, cosmetics are a concern. Fortunately I do the packing, David just has to lug the suitcases! I try to find small sizes, but still, face cremes, hair stuff, makeup adds up. Then there are medications and various nostrums. You can do it!

I admit, we've been spoiled the past few years sticking with Continental whenever possible since they still allow 2 70-lb bags each for "elite" flyers, 3 if you're flying biz/first. Twice we've taken trips using the full allotment, but that was due to lots of underwater camera gear as well. But Continental doesn't fly to Tahiti, of course.

Oh well, at worst case we're dinged with one overweight, her main suitcase which she's lucky if she can get down to 60 lbs. $70 on the way there is easier to pay than trying to somehow get the bag down to 50 lbs and preserve marital harmony at the same time, and as we're flying biz on the way back we get 70 lb bags for free to handle all the souvenirs we collect as well. We're doing Regent air/transfers/precruise so once I manhandle the bag to the airport, it's someone else's back to break until we fly back home. The last thing I want to do is start an argument over how many shoes/cosmetics she can bring when we're enroute to the most romantic destination on the planet ;)

Ok, so for past PG travelers -- how decent are the toiletries? I'm thinking I may be able to save a little suitcase room by omitting the shampoo and conditioner bottles, but if they're subpar I'll bring my travel-sized kit...

One more word on this subject: if there's anywhere to travel light, it's French Polynesia, even on the Paul Gauguin. You won't wear half the clothes that you bring, probably.

AMEN. On our first sailing on the PG, we brought back more than we wore. Never (in five sailings) have I worn a coat (or even a windbreaker).

Also, the shampoo & conditioner were fine when last we sailed, but I think I heard that they have changed. Someone else might chime in, but I think I would not bring these from home.

Last time on the PG (last December), we had two sets of toiletries, the newer Regent-branded ones and the Anichini ones. We were in one of the hoity-toity deck 8 veranda suites, so don't know if both brands were available everywhere. I'm not particularly fussy, and found either one just fine.

Thanks to everyone who provided the very helpful information. I can't wait to show my wife all of the advice to pack light. A few follow-up questions for all of you PG experts...

- Do you recommend a particular brand/type of insect repellent?

- My wife is always cold indoors. I imagine the a/c is always on in the public areas and restaurants, so I wonder if it makes sense to pack a light jacket or sweater?

- Should I book shore excursions and make restaurant reservations on-line in advance, or can I just wait until we are on board?

Any other pearls of wisdom for us PG/FP newbies??

Thanks!

I don't sail on the PG until October, but by then the stores will only be carrying winter clothes and if weatherunderground.com is to be believed, the temperature range in FP will be 73-84 F.

I read Jim's list and it doesn't seem to fit my style very well. I normally wear shorts, T-shirts, and flip-flops in summer. Can I get by with those or do I need to go shopping? What are the sundresses for? I don't own any and wouldn't wear one if I had it (it's an aging body thing). What can I take instead?

Most of my luggage will be taken up by dive gear. I think PG supplies it, but I prefer my own.

event.png

The sundresses are for dinner and after 6 in the lounges. No shorts after them, and only fancy flip flops. You could find some nice simple wrap skirts and pair them with a nice simple top, and a pair of pretty sandals, and you're set. I have a couple of Indonesian rayon prints that do the job nicely. Or, you can wear nice pants and a simple top. You can glam it up with jewellery, and take a wrap of some kind for the dining room.

You have the advantage that you can wait for summer sales!

• 1 month later...
Thanks to everyone who provided the very helpful information. I can't wait to show my wife all of the advice to pack light. A few follow-up questions for all of you PG experts...

- Do you recommend a particular brand/type of insect repellent?

- My wife is always cold indoors. I imagine the a/c is always on in the public areas and restaurants, so I wonder if it makes sense to pack a light jacket or sweater?

- Should I book shore excursions and make restaurant reservations on-line in advance, or can I just wait until we are on board?

Any other pearls of wisdom for us PG/FP newbies??

Thanks!

Think scarf/shawl. Not down jacket.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived