Are the seas rocky on the North Baltic cruise?

My name is Larry and my wife and I are thinking about taking a North Baltic cruise to include St. Petersburg sometime this summer. Can anyone tell me if the seas are rocky if the cruise leaves Copenhagen and travels up to St. Petersburg?

Much appreciated.

Terry

Thank you very much and your pictures are fantastic.

Larry

THANKS, Larry!

Check out this earlier Cruise Critics posting on picture taking and let me know if you have any added suggestions, feed-back or questions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=977864

The Baltics are a "target-rich" environment for great pictures and enjoyable experiences. Great history and architecture!

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

My name is Larry and my wife and I are thinking about taking a North Baltic cruise to include St. Petersburg sometime this summer. Can anyone tell me if the seas are rocky if the cruise leaves Copenhagen and travels up to St. Petersburg?

Much appreciated.

I would imagine the sea conditions can vary from cruise to cruise, week to week. Having said that, I can add that the Baltic Sea was very calm ("like sailing on a lake") during my recent cruise in mid-May. Your mileage may vary. The Baltic itinerary is great, so I encourage you to pursue your plans.

I went last May and was expecting choppy seas in the North Atlantic and it was as smooth as a baby's hind end. Boy did my wife ever flip me a hard time on that one. The truth is that it is probably a crap shoot, but the weather tends to be better in the spring and summer than it is in the fall and winter.

Da Bear

Much appreciated.

We were pleasantly surprised at how very calm the seas were in the Baltic during our May 2 - 16 2009 trip. - but it made more sense once we realized that you are rarely in a very "open" sea. Most of the cruising takes place quite close to the coast line. It was even quite calm on the sea day going from Germany to Stockholm and that day was rainy and blustery. Thankfully the rest of our cruise was sunshine and blue skies.

The North Sea was a different story. Both days (going to and from England) were rougher than the Baltic. But the only really rocky seas we had was our last day, a sea day, going from Denmark to Harwich England.

We were pleasantly surprised at how very calm the seas were in the Baltic during our May 2 - 16 2009 trip. - but it made more sense once we realized that you are rarely in a very "open" sea. Most of the cruising takes place quite close to the coast line. It was even quite calm on the sea day going from Germany to Stockholm and that day was rainy and blustery. Thankfully the rest of our cruise was sunshine and blue skies.

The North Sea was a different story. Both days (going to and from England) were rougher than the Baltic. But the only really rocky seas we had was our last day, a sea day, going from Denmark to Harwich England.

We are leaving from Amsterdam next Tuesday and our first day will be a sea day heading north round Denmark on our way to Warnemunde.

So I should have the pills ready, you think?

As for us, we were on similar cruise last July and the Baltic was about the calmest waters we have ever sailed...as someone earlier posted..like a lake and a calm one at that. Beautiful especially with the long, long daylight hours! GO, you won't regret it!

Just got home last night after a trans atlantic on the Eurodam and the Baltic. All of the seas were very calm- more like being on a lake. You will love it! I brought my dramamine home!

So I should have the pills ready, you think?

The North Sea can be a real crapshoot. We've done the round-trip ferry crossing between France and the UK twice, and have been lucky in that it was like a milk pond for all four runs. But you never can tell.

Archived