Greek Isles Do It Yourself help, please

JM_southFL

Santorini is very easy to do on your own. Take the cablecar (3) minute ride or donkey

(10) minute ride. As long as you are the only ship in port you can easily see Oia and take in some wine tasting or beach. Oia is a must. All those pictures of Santorini is taken from Oia. You only need to spend a couple of hours there. Bus cost 1.40 Euro 25 to 30 minutes but it is extremely crowded and chaotic. Not everyone can get on. Taxi about 15 to 20 Euro. From Oia, I heard a taxi driver offer 25 Euro to Kamira Beach at the opposite end of the island.

Athens: From the port the walk to the metro station is just over 1 mile. Very level. Get off at the Montestriaki Station. You are right in middle of the Plaka. Look up and you will see the Acropolis and just start heading that way.

Corfu: Easy to rent a car to take you to the beaches. We chose to go the the Achilleon Palace, Impressive gardens. It takes about 25 minutes to get there and 45 minutes at the site. We took a taxi. It cost 80 Euro for the 4 of us. This includes the taxi driver waiting for you. You cannot get a taxi at the Achilleon palace to take you back. Since there were 4 of us, I felt it was worth it. Then the driver dropped us off in the middle of town.

Katakolon: This was the only place where we took a tour. There not much left at the site so a guide was very helpful explaining things. If you go on your own, I'd buy one of the guide books at the site first and tour the museum before going to the actual site. Otherwise you won't know what you are looking at.

Mykonos: We caught the bus at Fabrika square and went to Platis Yannis. Find the restaurant you want to dine in later and rent the Umbrella and chair for 5Euro. Save your receipt and the cost is deducted from your bill. I don't know it that was the best beach but it was easy to get to. I've heard some of the beaches charge excessive rates.

Just got back from our Med cruise. Here's what I know:

Santorini - Had a reservation with Cool Cars. Went up the cable car, where they were supposed to be waiting for us. They didn't show up. Walked up to the main street and got a small car from Spiradakos. Talked them down to 35 E for the day, including insurance. They didn't ask for any type driver's license.

Mykonos - The port was quite far from town, maybe 1 1/2 mi, along a road with no sidewalks. No taxis. Princess offered a 7 E per person shuttle into the center of town. My husband took the shuttle in, and negotiated a rental car at the port for 30 E for the day, including insurance. he checked several places to compare prices, and negotiate. We were there on a Sunday, and they were open by 8:00. He then came back and got us. We drove all over the island to Little Venice, windmills, and to beaches. By favorite was Platos Gialos, where we had stayed before. If you want less crowded try Paradise, or Super Paradise. All had lounge chairs to rent, I believe. There is a bus that goes to both, that you catch at the bus stop, near the windmills. But Super Paradise is quite far. Much easier to reach and see more with a rental car.

Katakolon - We took the train to Olympia. Very easy. Very nice and brand new train. 3 E round trip per person. The train station (really a little yellow shack) is about a 10 min walk right thru the little town. The train took about 35 min and drops you off right in the middle of the little town near Olympia (end of the line). Scenery along the way was nice. The tour guy on our ship had said it was a 30 min walk to the ruins, so we grabbed a taxi at the station, for 10 E. That info was wrong. The people who walked were there maybe a min or two after us, so more like a 10 - 15 min walk. If you are going to the Museum at Olympia, it is right beside the train station. They don't tell you that either. Walk out of the train station, turn left, walk thru the trees, and you are at the museum. Not even 5 min, I think. See the museum, then walk thru the grounds, maybe 5 - 10 min and you will be at the Ruins. That's what I would have done, if I had known the layout. It is 6 E each to go to the Ruins or the Museum, or 9 E if you buy a combo ticket to both. Museum, was very nice, and I'm glad we went there too, not just the ruins.

Athens - Port again, is supposedly a 30 min walk to the metro station. I had been there before, and planned to go to Acropolis by metro. Came out of terminal at the port, and tried to talk a taxi into driving us to the metro stop. No takers. As there were 5 of us, we finally decided to go with a taxi that took us straight to the Acropolis. He charged us 25 E, which wasn't bad, after all. Got us there quickly, and all the way to the ticket place at the Acropolis, 15 min before it opened at 8 AM. Best thing we did. We had the whole place to ourselves. Last year I was there at about 9:30 AM, and there were thousands of people, and tour groups. This year at 8 AM, no one. Great pictures, with no people in them. Ticket to the Acropolis was 11 or 12 E, I think, but covers several other sights in Athens. Afterward walked down thru Ancient Agora, covered by same ticket, and thru Plaka. Took the metro back to Piraeus. Walked part way back to the port, and jumped on a bus the rest of the way.

Corfu - Old Town is too far to walk to from the port. Got off the ship and walked to nearby bus stop. Hard to find, but across the major street in front of Port. Driver, was one of the few, we talked to in Europe, who was not nice, or helpful. Asked him to tell us where to get off for Old Town. Got off where he told us, but we were quite far from it. Map supplied by the ship not very helpful. Asked lots of people along the way, and finally found Old Town. Walked around there for a while, saw forts, churches, and other sights. Nice walking and shopping thru the Old Town. Got a taxi back to the ship for 5 of us for 10 or 15 E.

Other questions posted:

I rented an ATV last year on Mykonos at Platos Gialos 16 E for 24 hrs. They did not ask for a driver's license. Be very careful, and if you are riding 2 people on there, make sure and get two helmets. A lady on our cruise on an ATV tried to pass other ATVs, was almost hit by a car, thrown off her ATV, and had to go to the hospital for 25 stitches on her face and arm. The rest of the cruise she was in the dining room with her face covered in a very large bandage.

The beaches on Mykonos are not beautiful white beaches like the Caribbean, but still nice and picturesque.

I did not see many vans driving around the islands, only ones used by tours. I am not sure you will be able rent one there. In fact, most of the cars were so small, we had trouble fitting 5 people in them.

Hope this helps some people. If I can answer any more questions, let me know. :)

Great information thank you for the time and effort!

Did you hire a guide at the Olympia Ruins? If not do you remenber if there were guides for hire outside>

The only reason we are considering a private tour is I have been told that if you do not have the ruins explained you are just looking at ruined ruins

I am not much of a own my own type of person but this seems like the perfect port to try.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

We are going next year on the same Greek Isles cruise. Car rental sounds interesting. There will be 6 of us. Does anyone know if they have any mini vans for rent??? Would they be a lot more expensive??

Is there a website I can inquire for both katalon and Santorini????

Thanks

Cheryl

I know in Corfu they have Mini Vans for rent - we have rented one for Corfu for our cruise this month and we are a group of 7 - for the day it is 100 Euro - I know it is a high price but I think it is still a whole lot less then taking a tour private or ship if you break it out between per person price, that is still less then $20 PP.

I know in Corfu they have Mini Vans for rent - we have rented one for Corfu for our cruise this month and we are a group of 7 - for the day it is 100 Euro - I know it is a high price but I think it is still a whole lot less then taking a tour private or ship if you break it out between per person price, that is still less then $20 PP.

Ev2008 -

We are trying Nikos with (http://www.corfuprivatetours.com) - I got a great quote (after negotiating some) for a 1/2 day tour of Corfu - here is my post from the July 6th Oosterdam thread:

Since there were several other families that wanted tours in Corfu - I contacted Nikos (http://www.corfuprivatetours.com) and was able to re-negotiate our quote on the Corfu tour. For 11 people he has agreed to do the 1/2 day tour for 450 total.... which is 41 euro/pp. Nikos stated that he would make it an even 500 euro for up to 4 additional people for a total of 15 which would bring it down to 33 euro/pp.

You can contact him at: athensnikos@gmail.com

Great information thank you for the time and effort!

Did you hire a guide at the Olympia Ruins? If not do you remenber if there were guides for hire outside>

The only reason we are considering a private tour is I have been told that if you do not have the ruins explained you are just looking at ruined ruins

I am not much of a own my own type of person but this seems like the perfect port to try.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Hi Hutch8 -

This was very easy to do on your own. I had a tour book that told us what we were seeing - Temple of Zeus, Temple of Hera , his wife, temple of Nike, various other things. Yes, you are right. It really is just ruins, a few columns here and there. There is the track where races were run that was nice. The day we were there, it was VERY crowded with tour groups. We stood near some, and listened to what they said; not any different from what I found in my book.

I personally, am glad we did it on our own.

I don't know what time you arrive in Katakolon. We arrived at 8 AM, and the next train is at 8:36. So, we had to rush to make it, but we did. If you don't make that one the next one isn't until 11:06. Here are times for the train.

Depart/ Arrive Olympia

8:36 - 9:17

11:06 - 11:52

Depart Olympia/ Arrive back Katakolon

11:27 - 12:39

1:46 - 2:32

You can do a search on here, to find some other info on the train and schedule to Olympia. That is where I got this info.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise. :)

Hutch 8 -

Forgot to say, I did not notice any guides for hire standing around. But It's possible there were some. I guess you could take a chance and ask around when you got there. Good luck ! :)

In Mykonos, the RCCL ship tendered and dropped us off right in town. If you have the time or are so inclined walk through town until you run out of shops and keep heading up through the houses. The view at the top is worth the walk. There were no people around and it was breath taking. We even found, through sheer luck, a lone windmill that it turns out ended up being the same one on the magnet I bought earlier that day.

CORFU

Not really sure what to do in Corfu... any suggestions?

I was just there earlier this month and had a great day on Corfu. We rented a car right outside the cruise terminal for 50 Euros for the day plus 10 Euros for fuel. We went to the Paleokastritsa beach, and it was very nice. Then we drove up to the Bella Vista. We then drove north and basically all the way around the island. We wanted to allow time in the old section of Corfu before we returned to the ship, so we missed the palace. We also stopped at two other seaside villages for gelati, etc. and found the island to be very scenic. The old town was very nice too. Renting a car was very easy and inexpensive. The only issue we had was that we had some issues finding the car park for the old town but ended up parallel parked near the old fort within easy walking distance of town. Our map for the driving tour was provided by the rental car agent at the port. If I can answer any other questions, I'll be glad to in the next few days (after that I'm returning to my Facebook addiction because we don't have another cruise booked but can be found there as Donna Brown Hill).

Donna

We took the train to Olympia as well. We were there on a Monday which also happened to be a holiday, which meant that the entrance fees to ancient site was waived, but the museum didn't open until 2:00 pm. Not giving us enough time to see it, since the last train we could have taken to reach the ship left just after 2:00.

We found that Katakolon had a lot of nice restaurants where we could buy Greek Salads, Gyros and Feta cheese for a reasonable price. It was a nice change from the ship lunch after 8 days. There is also a nice Internet cafe in town (closest shop to the ship pier) where we were able to catch up on e-mail, upload photos for an hour for only 2 Euro. Much better and higher speed than the ship price of $55/hour.

• 3 weeks later...

Marianne, how did Nikos work out for you? On another thread, someone said not to use him because he didn't show up. On a different thread, he comes highly recommended. Only 2 I could find which makes it a little more risky.

Marianne, how did Nikos work out for you? On another thread, someone said not to use him because he didn't show up. On a different thread, he comes highly recommended. Only 2 I could find which makes it a little more risky.

Hi... just got home about 1:00am this morning :)

The car rental company was: diplasd@rentacarkatakolo.gr

** I didn't specify automatic vs manual and we got a manual...you probably ought to reserve your vehicle asap - when we got there, it appeared that they were running out of rentals for walkins **

Nikos sent Spiros (I don't have his card readily available for his specific email address or website since my luggage is MIA - but I will post as soon as I have it). Spiros was great!!!! He even negotiated a group rate for our Grotto Cave excursion. I would definitely book with Spiros with http://www.corfuprivatetours.com/Corfuprivatetours.htm

*** Ok, found his card (was in my carry-on bag)... here's his info:

http://www.spyrosbus.com or info@spyrosbus.com

The reason more people don't rent scooters or SUV is because driving in Mikonos is not safe! Yikes even our cruise director got run off the road and came back seriously injured. So I'd do a tour. The town is dead boring. Not worth the shuttle but I have heard others rave about their day in Mikonos- look at the available tours.

Just Google Santorini, Greece, or Santorini, Greece car rental, you will find names at those sites

I'm not a cruise vet but my wife and I just got back from a cruise where we hit many of the same ports.

Corfu - we rented a car. Reserved it online and drove to Peroulades -Sunset Beach, Myrtiotissa and Paleokastritsa.

Myrtiotissa is the famous nude beach. Very scenic but not much of a beach. We parked in the lot and walked down the half mile or so. Very strenuous walk back, esp in sandy shoes.

Paleokastritsa - absolutely gorgeous. We ate lunch and walked around a beach that was basically a large cove. This would be the place I would go back to if in Corfu.

Peroulades was very scenic but it's a 30-45 minute drive to get to and there isn't much beach. In some places it looks like high tide comes right to the cliffs.

Can't give any other info about Corfu - we never made it into the old town.

Santorini - beaches are hot and composed of gravel. Having gone to the beaches in Maryland and Myrtle Beach - their idea of sand isn't the same. We took the bus all around the island. Crowded but only 1,40 euro per person per trip.

Athens - taxi drivers are pushy salesmen. If you enjoy negotiating then use the taxi's. It's at least a 20 euro fare each way. The metro station is about a 25-30 minute walk from the port terminal - if you're in good shape and it's not too hot I would advise taking the metro. It's 1 euro per person for 1.5 hours. Spend the money saved on a nice lunch around the Plaka.

Just got back from our Med cruise. Here's what I know:

Santorini - Had a reservation with Cool Cars. Went up the cable car, where they were supposed to be waiting for us. They didn't show up. Walked up to the main street and got a small car from Spiradakos. Talked them down to 35 E for the day, including insurance. They didn't ask for any type driver's license.

Mykonos - The port was quite far from town, maybe 1 1/2 mi, along a road with no sidewalks. No taxis. Princess offered a 7 E per person shuttle into the center of town. My husband took the shuttle in, and negotiated a rental car at the port for 30 E for the day, including insurance. he checked several places to compare prices, and negotiate. We were there on a Sunday, and they were open by 8:00. He then came back and got us. We drove all over the island to Little Venice, windmills, and to beaches. By favorite was Platos Gialos, where we had stayed before. If you want less crowded try Paradise, or Super Paradise. All had lounge chairs to rent, I believe. There is a bus that goes to both, that you catch at the bus stop, near the windmills. But Super Paradise is quite far. Much easier to reach and see more with a rental car.

Katakolon - We took the train to Olympia. Very easy. Very nice and brand new train. 3 E round trip per person. The train station (really a little yellow shack) is about a 10 min walk right thru the little town. The train took about 35 min and drops you off right in the middle of the little town near Olympia (end of the line). Scenery along the way was nice. The tour guy on our ship had said it was a 30 min walk to the ruins, so we grabbed a taxi at the station, for 10 E. That info was wrong. The people who walked were there maybe a min or two after us, so more like a 10 - 15 min walk. If you are going to the Museum at Olympia, it is right beside the train station. They don't tell you that either. Walk out of the train station, turn left, walk thru the trees, and you are at the museum. Not even 5 min, I think. See the museum, then walk thru the grounds, maybe 5 - 10 min and you will be at the Ruins. That's what I would have done, if I had known the layout. It is 6 E each to go to the Ruins or the Museum, or 9 E if you buy a combo ticket to both. Museum, was very nice, and I'm glad we went there too, not just the ruins.

Athens - Port again, is supposedly a 30 min walk to the metro station. I had been there before, and planned to go to Acropolis by metro. Came out of terminal at the port, and tried to talk a taxi into driving us to the metro stop. No takers. As there were 5 of us, we finally decided to go with a taxi that took us straight to the Acropolis. He charged us 25 E, which wasn't bad, after all. Got us there quickly, and all the way to the ticket place at the Acropolis, 15 min before it opened at 8 AM. Best thing we did. We had the whole place to ourselves. Last year I was there at about 9:30 AM, and there were thousands of people, and tour groups. This year at 8 AM, no one. Great pictures, with no people in them. Ticket to the Acropolis was 11 or 12 E, I think, but covers several other sights in Athens. Afterward walked down thru Ancient Agora, covered by same ticket, and thru Plaka. Took the metro back to Piraeus. Walked part way back to the port, and jumped on a bus the rest of the way.

Corfu - Old Town is too far to walk to from the port. Got off the ship and walked to nearby bus stop. Hard to find, but across the major street in front of Port. Driver, was one of the few, we talked to in Europe, who was not nice, or helpful. Asked him to tell us where to get off for Old Town. Got off where he told us, but we were quite far from it. Map supplied by the ship not very helpful. Asked lots of people along the way, and finally found Old Town. Walked around there for a while, saw forts, churches, and other sights. Nice walking and shopping thru the Old Town. Got a taxi back to the ship for 5 of us for 10 or 15 E.

Other questions posted:

I rented an ATV last year on Mykonos at Platos Gialos 16 E for 24 hrs. They did not ask for a driver's license. Be very careful, and if you are riding 2 people on there, make sure and get two helmets. A lady on our cruise on an ATV tried to pass other ATVs, was almost hit by a car, thrown off her ATV, and had to go to the hospital for 25 stitches on her face and arm. The rest of the cruise she was in the dining room with her face covered in a very large bandage.

The beaches on Mykonos are not beautiful white beaches like the Caribbean, but still nice and picturesque.

I did not see many vans driving around the islands, only ones used by tours. I am not sure you will be able rent one there. In fact, most of the cars were so small, we had trouble fitting 5 people in them.

Hope this helps some people. If I can answer any more questions, let me know. :)

How was parking at the beaches on Mykonos?

Having a hard time finding out what time the Olympia site (Temple and Stadium) open on Monday, Oct. 5. Anyone? I also understand the Olympia museum opens at 10:30. Can someone confirm this? PLEASE?

Also, re: Corfu - how far is Paleokastritsa village from the Port? I really only wanted to see old town and this village. Are there any options other than renting a car? Thanks.

Having a hard time finding out what time the Olympia site (Temple and Stadium) open on Monday, Oct. 5. Anyone? I also understand the Olympia museum opens at 10:30. Can someone confirm this? PLEASE?

Also, re: Corfu - how far is Paleokastritsa village from the Port? I really only wanted to see old town and this village. Are there any options other than renting a car? Thanks.

Ancient Olympia is open: 08.30-20.00... museum open the same hours..

Paleokastritsa is 15-17 miles from port (30 min. by car).. you can go there with a taxi or bus:

09.00 - 12.00 - 14.00 - 16.00

Saturday: 09.00 - 13.00 - 16.00

Paleokastritsa - Corfu :

09.45 - 12.45 - 14.45 - 16.45

Saturday: 09.45 - 13.45 - 16.45

Fafos,

Just wanted to double check on the Olympia hours you posted as we will be there on a MONDAY?

Also, what can you tell me about Paleokastritsa? Is it mainly a place to go for lunch and beautiful scenery? We will be there early October

Thanks so much.

Fafos,

Just wanted to double check on the Olympia hours you posted as we will be there on a MONDAY?

Also, what can you tell me about Paleokastritsa? Is it mainly a place to go for lunch and beautiful scenery? We will be there early October

Thanks so much.

Olympia is open 7 days per week, 364 days per year (close only March 25th)..

Paleokastritsa is one of more beautiful villages in Corfu island... very popular and with very nice beaches, full of trees and of course many shops, restaurants and tavernas..

K_Paleokastritsa.jpg

2072947220031963949S600x600Q85.jpg

Archived