Greek Isles Do It Yourself help, please

JM_southFL

I'm going on a cruise next month with three other friends and trying to figure out what to do on each of our Greek Isles ports. We'd like to avoid the ship's crowded shore excursions and have come to figure out that the private tours can be a little expensive. It's a 12 day cruise with 10 different ports, so it would definitely add up.

We have some ideas of what we'd like to do in some of the ports. This will be my first time in Greece.

Can anyone suggest DIY itineraries on the following ports:

SANTORINI 7 AM- 6 PM

Possibly visit some of the wineries?

MYKONOS 7 AM-6 PM

Best beaches in Greece, I hear? Any suggestions on which would be less crowded?

ATHENS 6 AM-6 PM

Acropolis & Plaka. Is it safe to get a taxi to take us and get a taxi from Plaka back to the port?

KATAKALON (OLYMPIA) 8 AM-5 PM

...:confused:

CORFU 8 AM-5 PM

....:confused:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

I'm going on a cruise next month with three other friends and trying to figure out what to do on each of our Greek Isles ports. We'd like to avoid the ship's crowded shore excursions and have come to figure out that the private tours can be a little expensive. It's a 12 day cruise with 10 different ports, so it would definitely add up.

We have some ideas of what we'd like to do in some of the ports. This will be my first time in Greece.

Can anyone suggest DIY itineraries on the following ports:

SANTORINI 7 AM- 6 PM

Possibly visit some of the wineries?

MYKONOS 7 AM-6 PM

Best beaches in Greece, I hear? Any suggestions on which would be less crowded?

ATHENS 6 AM-6 PM

Acropolis & Plaka. Is it safe to get a taxi to take us and get a taxi from Plaka back to the port?

KATAKALON (OLYMPIA) 8 AM-5 PM

...:confused:

CORFU 8 AM-5 PM

....:confused:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

I can only help with Athens and Katakolon. In Athens, it is very easy to take the Metro to the Acropolis, then walk to the Plaka, then catch the Metro back to the ship. No need for a taxi.

In Katakolon, there is a train that will take you to Olympia (the original home of the Olympics and the Temple of Zeus that is one of the 7 wonders of the ancient world). Or you can rent a car. Not much else to do in this port.

Santorini also is an easy DIY port. Last September, we took the cabel car up to Fira, and first visited the two archaelogical museums there. I highly recommend you spend an hour at the wonderful modern Museum of Prehistoric Fira near the bus station - the home of a well-organized chronolocial collection of Akrotiri artifacts with all the information now known about these ancient Aegean people, including wall paintings, etc. plus great a/c and good bathrooms.

We then rented a car and traveled north for a couple of hour visit to Oia, considered the prettiest town on the island, with great views of the caldera, drove down to Ammoudi Bay below Oia, and then completed our circuit of the northern part of the island before returning the car and doing some shopping in Fira.

On our next visit in two weeks, we again will rent a car, and this time explore the southern end of the island, including a winery, the Red Beach, and a few out of the way towns. We'll be there on a Monday, so none of the museums or Ancient Thira will be open. (And the actual Akrotiri excavation site has been closed for several years, and it probably will be several more years until it again opens to the public.)

BTW, we rented a car for our trip to Olympia from the car rental right across the street from the dock. Olympia is an easy 30-minute drive from Katakalon. I agree that there is not much else to do in that area, except for a winery somewhere nearby and a postage-stamp size beach.

Corfu also is easy DIY. We only had a half day, so spent it exploring the Old Town, including the great Old Fortress with super views and the old synagogue. If we had a full day, I again would rent a car and certainly explore, perhaps visiting one of the beaches and certainly touring the Habsburg empress's home there.

Thanks for the tips. I have to admit, doing things on our own in a strange country is a little intimidating for me.

KATAKOLON

We have a quote for a private tour in Katakolon for 40 euros/hour. According to the driver we should spend about 4 hours there, so it would be about 160 euros for the 4 of us. His plan is to take us to the ruins, then the winery and stop somewhere for lunch. About how much is the car rental for the day? How difficult is the drive in Olympia? Is it safe to park your car? I have a GPS system, so I'm not worried about finding my way, I just need to do some reasearch and get some addresses.

CORFU

Not really sure what to do in Corfu... any suggestions?

Thanks for the tips. I have to admit, doing things on our own in a strange country is a little intimidating for me.

KATAKOLON

We have a quote for a private tour in Katakolon for 40 euros/hour. According to the driver we should spend about 4 hours there, so it would be about 160 euros for the 4 of us. His plan is to take us to the ruins, then the winery and stop somewhere for lunch. About how much is the car rental for the day? How difficult is the drive in Olympia? Is it safe to park your car? I have a GPS system, so I'm not worried about finding my way, I just need to do some reasearch and get some addresses.

The Katakalon taxi drivers (who seem to have no concern for US antitrust law) have established 40 Euros per hour as their standard.

I drive an automatic car only, and we reserved our car from Mr. Christos Diplas at Katakalo rent-a-car, located right across the street from the dock. It cost 45 Euros (including insurance) plus 10 Euros for the gas he requested we refill on the way back to Katakalon. (You'll see a gas station a couple of miles from town.) It's an easy 30-minute drive (he'll give you a photocopy of a hand-drawn map), 40 minutes if you obey the speed laws, which no one did on the highway.

A very easy drive, I believe we made two turns before reaching the highway that goes directly to Olympia, parked the car right outside the museum (excellent, well worth a lengthy visit and helpful to help interpret the very ruined ruins), spent two hours at the museum (we are huge history/archaelogy people), then an hour or so at the site itself, which is right next store to the museum.

BTW, we also rented a car in Santorini, 40 Euros all-inclusive, and had a wonderful afternoon exploring.

The Katakalon taxi drivers (who seem to have no concern for US antitrust law) have established 40 Euros per hour as their standard.

I drive an automatic car only, and we reserved our car from Mr. Christos Diplas at Katakalo rent-a-car, located right across the street from the dock. It cost 45 Euros (including insurance) plus 10 Euros for the gas he requested we refill on the way back to Katakalon. (You'll see a gas station a couple of miles from town.) It's an easy 30-minute drive (he'll give you a photocopy of a hand-drawn map), 40 minutes if you obey the speed laws, which no one did on the highway.

A very easy drive, I believe we made two turns before reaching the highway that goes directly to Olympia, parked the car right outside the museum (excellent, well worth a lengthy visit and helpful to help interpret the very ruined ruins), spent two hours at the museum (we are huge history/archaelogy people), then an hour or so at the site itself, which is right next store to the museum.

BTW, we also rented a car in Santorini, 40 Euros all-inclusive, and had a wonderful afternoon exploring.

Great! Thanks for the info, I think we'll rent a car in Katakolon.

MYKONOS

Does anyone have any suggestions of a nice beach in Mikonos? I like a beach that's not so crowded... but with lounge chairs. A good place to just sit and relax, maybe have a bite to eat and of course have some cocktails.

Also used to the white sandy beaches of the Caribbean. Should I expect something totally different?

What would be the best way to get there? Taxi?

MYKONOS

Does anyone have any suggestions of a nice beach in Mikonos? I like a beach that's not so crowded... but with lounge chairs. A good place to just sit and relax, maybe have a bite to eat and of course have some cocktails.

Also used to the white sandy beaches of the Caribbean. Should I expect something totally different?

Have a look at this other thread for information about a beach in Mykonos, including getting to it. Other possibly livelier beaches include Paradise and Super Paradise - do a google search for these names, e.g. 'Paradise Beach Mykonos'.

We are going next year on the same Greek Isles cruise. Car rental sounds interesting. There will be 6 of us. Does anyone know if they have any mini vans for rent??? Would they be a lot more expensive??

Is there a website I can inquire for both katalon and Santorini????

Thanks

Cheryl

We are going next year on the same Greek Isles cruise. Car rental sounds interesting. There will be 6 of us. Does anyone know if they have any mini vans for rent??? Would they be a lot more expensive??

Is there a website I can inquire for both katalon and Santorini????

Thanks

Cheryl

For car rental in Katakolon, Mr. Diplas is the only local location (the rest bring the cars in from another town) right across the street from the dock. You have many choices in Santorini. Last September, we used europcar but we just found out that they have closed their place in downtown Fira and now are only at the airport, so we are renting in just over a week from now (yay!) from Tony's, also recommended by fellow cruisers on these boards. Just google Katakolon and Santorini car rentals and you can examine all your choices.

Enjoy your trip!

Used the Hertz rental car agency in Fira 2 years ago. Had a wonderful day in a convertible ( about 80 Euros) with my husband and two children. Drove to Oia, wandered around, had lunch and drove to other out of the way beaches. The US Hertz website does not offer the international option, but if you google "Hertz in Greece" you'll find the website. We have already reserved a car for our trip back to Santorini in August. I understand it is very crowded in August, so I want to have the car reserved this time. Two years ago we had originally intended to take a cab, but after waiting half an hour (with a lot of other frustrated tourists) at the taxi station with no taxi in sight, we gave up and found the rental car agency, it turned out great for us.

In Mykonos ... get off the boat and grab the first scooter or 4 wheeler you can find. They are cheap, $15 for the day. Get on, hit gas, explore the entire island. Don't forget to bring bring a towel and bathing suit! Stop at the bakery ... you'll see it.

I can't believe how many people did not rent a scooter and totally regreted it. It's a must do on Mykonos. Beautiful island ...

KATAKOLON

CORFU

Not really sure what to do in Corfu... any suggestions?

I just received the same 40 euro/hour quote for a private tour in Katakolon - but the driver said if I booked the 4 hour tour, he would charge a total of 130 euro. I'm not sure if I want to rent on my own - so is this the only other alternative unless we go with the ship excursion?

If you had a choice to spend the extra $ on a private tour - which of the following would you do (please put in order and why)

Nafplion

Katakolon

Corfu

Thank you!!!!

I just received the same 40 euro/hour quote for a private tour in Katakolon - but the driver said if I booked the 4 hour tour, he would charge a total of 130 euro. I'm not sure if I want to rent on my own - so is this the only other alternative unless we go with the ship excursion?

If you had a choice to spend the extra $ on a private tour - which of the following would you do (please put in order and why)

Nafplion

Katakolon

Corfu

Thank you!!!!

I'd spend it on a tour in Nafplion to see Mycenae, Corinth, and Epidavros, for sure. No other easy way to do these.

As I mentioned earlier, Katakolon is easy to DIY by taking the train to Olympia.

From what I understand, you can pretty easily get around Corfu on your own as well.

I'd spend it on a tour in Nafplion to see Mycenae, Corinth, and Epidavros, for sure. No other easy way to do these.

As I mentioned earlier, Katakolon is easy to DIY by taking the train to Olympia.

From what I understand, you can pretty easily get around Corfu on your own as well.

Thank you....

I heard Nafplion (sp) is a must see - anyone with good private tours there that won't cost a fortune?

Kakakolon - train to Olympia seems to be the majority

Corfu - is this a port that we can walk off the ship and just walk around? My notes are at home, but I believe not - and to "not hang around",

Mykonos - Do you need an International D L to rent a skooter or 4 wheeler? What kind of id do they want?

Santorini - Do you need an International D L to rent a car here? How hard is it to navigate parking and the roads? Many rental nightmeres here?

Thanks.

Nafplion

Katakolon

Corfu

Thank you!!!!

What size vehicles do they have for the tours. I have a total of 6 in my party and if you divide the 130 by 6 is isn't too bad. Who is the tour with so I can contact them?

Just got back from our Med cruise. Here's what I know:

Santorini - Had a reservation with Cool Cars. Went up the cable car, where they were supposed to be waiting for us. They didn't show up. Walked up to the main street and got a small car from Spiradakos. Talked them down to 35 E for the day, including insurance. They didn't ask for any type driver's license.

Mykonos - The port was quite far from town, maybe 1 1/2 mi, along a road with no sidewalks. No taxis. Princess offered a 7 E per person shuttle into the center of town. My husband took the shuttle in, and negotiated a rental car at the port for 30 E for the day, including insurance. he checked several places to compare prices, and negotiate. We were there on a Sunday, and they were open by 8:00. He then came back and got us. We drove all over the island to Little Venice, windmills, and to beaches. By favorite was Platos Gialos, where we had stayed before. If you want less crowded try Paradise, or Super Paradise. All had lounge chairs to rent, I believe. There is a bus that goes to both, that you catch at the bus stop, near the windmills. But Super Paradise is quite far. Much easier to reach and see more with a rental car.

Katakolon - We took the train to Olympia. Very easy. Very nice and brand new train. 3 E round trip per person. The train station (really a little yellow shack) is about a 10 min walk right thru the little town. The train took about 35 min and drops you off right in the middle of the little town near Olympia (end of the line). Scenery along the way was nice. The tour guy on our ship had said it was a 30 min walk to the ruins, so we grabbed a taxi at the station, for 10 E. That info was wrong. The people who walked were there maybe a min or two after us, so more like a 10 - 15 min walk. If you are going to the Museum at Olympia, it is right beside the train station. They don't tell you that either. Walk out of the train station, turn left, walk thru the trees, and you are at the museum. Not even 5 min, I think. See the museum, then walk thru the grounds, maybe 5 - 10 min and you will be at the Ruins. That's what I would have done, if I had known the layout. It is 6 E each to go to the Ruins or the Museum, or 9 E if you buy a combo ticket to both. Museum, was very nice, and I'm glad we went there too, not just the ruins.

Athens - Port again, is supposedly a 30 min walk to the metro station. I had been there before, and planned to go to Acropolis by metro. Came out of terminal at the port, and tried to talk a taxi into driving us to the metro stop. No takers. As there were 5 of us, we finally decided to go with a taxi that took us straight to the Acropolis. He charged us 25 E, which wasn't bad, after all. Got us there quickly, and all the way to the ticket place at the Acropolis, 15 min before it opened at 8 AM. Best thing we did. We had the whole place to ourselves. Last year I was there at about 9:30 AM, and there were thousands of people, and tour groups. This year at 8 AM, no one. Great pictures, with no people in them. Ticket to the Acropolis was 11 or 12 E, I think, but covers several other sights in Athens. Afterward walked down thru Ancient Agora, covered by same ticket, and thru Plaka. Took the metro back to Piraeus. Walked part way back to the port, and jumped on a bus the rest of the way.

Corfu - Old Town is too far to walk to from the port. Got off the ship and walked to nearby bus stop. Hard to find, but across the major street in front of Port. Driver, was one of the few, we talked to in Europe, who was not nice, or helpful. Asked him to tell us where to get off for Old Town. Got off where he told us, but we were quite far from it. Map supplied by the ship not very helpful. Asked lots of people along the way, and finally found Old Town. Walked around there for a while, saw forts, churches, and other sights. Nice walking and shopping thru the Old Town. Got a taxi back to the ship for 5 of us for 10 or 15 E.

Other questions posted:

I rented an ATV last year on Mykonos at Platos Gialos 16 E for 24 hrs. They did not ask for a driver's license. Be very careful, and if you are riding 2 people on there, make sure and get two helmets. A lady on our cruise on an ATV tried to pass other ATVs, was almost hit by a car, thrown off her ATV, and had to go to the hospital for 25 stitches on her face and arm. The rest of the cruise she was in the dining room with her face covered in a very large bandage.

The beaches on Mykonos are not beautiful white beaches like the Caribbean, but still nice and picturesque.

I did not see many vans driving around the islands, only ones used by tours. I am not sure you will be able rent one there. In fact, most of the cars were so small, we had trouble fitting 5 people in them.

Hope this helps some people. If I can answer any more questions, let me know. :)

We didn't go to the beach in Mykonos. We went to a beach in Rhodes. We didn't find smooth sandy beaches they were mostly tiny rocks.

The water was clean and beautiful but coooold. I was surprised since it was mid June.

But go - you will enjoy it.

RE: Mykonos - I thought I had read that once off the ship many rent scooters/4 wheelers. I don't recall hearing that you had to go over a mile or so to do this. If no taxi's are there, you either walk it or take the Princess shuttle??

Great! Thanks for the info, I think we'll rent a car in Katakolon.

MYKONOS

We went to Platy Gialos beach with a cab. We arranged with him to pick us up at a certain time to return. There is a bus that goes there but not sure of how often. We had 4 of us sharing so the cost wasn't too bad, (can't remember the cost) There are tavernas all along the beach and we did not have to rent the lounge chairs. We had a wonderful lunch there. We did not find any sandy beaches anywhere and ended up buying water shoes, but it was a beautiful spot. Paradise and Super Paradise I believe have more topless/?nude sunbathers.

RE: Mykonos - I thought I had read that once off the ship many rent scooters/4 wheelers. I don't recall hearing that you had to go over a mile or so to do this. If no taxi's are there, you either walk it or take the Princess shuttle??

Where we docked for Princess, there was nothing to rent, and no taxis. You had to take the shuttle or walk. I have heard that if you tender in though, you will be right in town.

Mykonos - Do you need an International D L to rent a skooter or 4 wheeler? What kind of id do they want?

Thanks.

Nope, nothing, your boat card and cash was all we needed. If you've never ridden a scooter or motorcycle, just rent the 4 wheeler. Not the place you want to learn to ride a 2 wheeler, could be dangerous.

We'll be going to 3 Greek ports in August and was researching the same DIY islands & came across what I think is just a fantastic site & after researching our 3 islands I feel confident and less intimidated & excited...hope it helps.

http://www.greeka.com/

Across the top you find your island & click on it ~ for example Corfu...

Across the top again, click Corfu Info & scroll down to About Corfu...

Scroll to the right & it lists: (just a sampling of what it lists)

To see & do

Beaches

Products (fantastic insights on local products)

Beaches

Museums

Transport

Shopping

etc.

Good Luck

Seabreeze

Archived