Iceland/Greenland

GoVolsTB

We are booked on the Crown TA in September 2010. We mainly booked this cruise because of the stops in Iceland and Greenland. In some of the reading I have been doing, it appears that there is a fairly good chance of not getting in to these ports. I would appreciate any first hand knowledge of these ports by any one that has been to them.

This cruise is pretty expensive and I would hate to go expecting to see these ports and then miss them.

We are booked on the Crown TA in September 2010. We mainly booked this cruise because of the stops in Iceland and Greenland. In some of the reading I have been doing, it appears that there is a fairly good chance of not getting in to these ports. I would appreciate any first hand knowledge of these ports by any one that has been to them.

This cruise is pretty expensive and I would hate to go expecting to see these ports and then miss them.

We are also doing this cruise. There is a roll call started-come and join us!

I have not heard of any problems getting to Iceland, we had a great time there. Greenland however could be a different story, high seas often endanger landing there. It would be a pity to miss it, but, there was nothing to do there, I forget the plce where we landed, but it had a lot of qqqqs in the name.:)

Good luck.

john

On a cruise there is always a chance that you could miss a port due to weather, mechanical, or political conditions beyond the control of the crew. Some places, like Greenland, are more iffy than others.

If it truly means a lot to you to see Greenland, I suggest you book a vacation to Iceland and Greenland rather than a cruise. I have considered doing the same.

Last Fall on the TA on the Crown we missed Iceland due to a storm, very bumpy, but did get to Greenland and we were very peasantly surprised really enjoyed the stop . the locals and children come out in a grand welcome, dance and in costume. The ice bergs were fascinating One large one really looked like an ice carving of the head of a Scotty dog which we dubbed the Scotty berg, (much too big to be an ice carving) We enjoyd it so much we are booked for the Fire and Ice July 2010 and looking forward to seeing more of those destinations.

Hi, Terri.. Gary here from our upcoming October Star sailing.

In September 2005, Rita & I and Joyce and Tom were on a repositioning from Copenhagen to Ft. Lauderdale during the September timeframe, also. We got into Iceland, but had to skip Greenland due to the weather and the general sea conditions.

We were a bit disappointed to be sure, but understood that that time of year can be very "iffy" in that part of the Atlantic. We were late coming down the Atlantic coast also, and got into Ft. Lauderdale several hours late... Princess put a couple of hundred of us up in hotels for the night due to missed flight arrangements (we were included in that group, too!)

Let's hope for better luck in 2010!

Gary

I am also on the same sailing, come join or roll call!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=965657&page=4

Last year it was pretty rough conditions on the way to Nanortalik, Greenland however the captain was able to get us in. I can now say I have been to Greenland, yes it can be kind of iffy and it was really cold for this Floridian. We made it to both ports in Iceland as well as Greenland but missed St. John's Newfoundland. The cruise had been perfect so we weren't too disappointed when we missed the last port. Looking forward to seeing St. John's on this one.

TB - The Quackers and a whole bunch of fine people are doing this cruise on the Crown Sept 5th this year. After the cruise we should be able to give you the good and the bad. Also lots of info on private tours - there are many excellant ones planned. Come and look at our roll call and wish you were with us! Don

We sailed the old Regal Princess from Copenhagen in 2003. The fog (& foghorn) was relentless on the crossings from Belfast to Iceland & towards Greenland. We docked in Reykjavik Iceland, no problem. We were lucky at Greenland, being the first ship in about three years to be able to transit Prinz Christian Sund, which was absolutely fantastic.

Unfortunately our stop ashore was cancelled due to Noro aboard, so we never got to set foot ashore.

Steve

There are no guarantees for either port. In 1996 we got into Iceland and missed Greenland. Several years later again, into Iceland and not Greenland. Last year (September 2008 on the Crown) we finally got into Greenland. But alas, we missed Iceland.

To Mr. Green: John, it's Qaqortoq :)

There are no guarantees for either port. In 1996 we got into Iceland and missed Greenland. Several years later again, into Iceland and not Greenland. Last year (September 2008 on the Crown) we finally got into Greenland. But alas, we missed Iceland.

To Mr. Green: John, it's Qaqortoq :)

Probably the largest place with three "Q"s in its name.

I sailed on the Sept TA on the Grand Princess in 2007. Made all teh stops except the last one in St Johns as we hit a big storm after Greenland. Ports were all great, Prins Christian Sund was fantastic. Would repeat this cruise anytime.

One of the best things was watching the off-duty crewmembers from South Asia gaping in awe at all the ice.

BTW, i was in error...Rejkavik was a tender port.

Archived