Any News from PAcific Dawn W915???????????????

Alymo1

I know someone onboard and all they know is that the crew are not to interact with passengers, and they are unsure about the ports yet.

Crew need to do their jobs so perhaps they are just keeping interaction to a minimum.

Hi, the latest is the ship is heading to Willis Island , not calling in at Airlie Beach after 3 more cases of Swine flu found in crew who tested negative in Sydney , they are now positive.

will we be getting on June 3..?????

kind regards, Lorraine:):)

Has any one seen Willis Island? Its a weather station in the middle of nowhere with a severe rubbish problem and asbestos floating around. Mmm sounds like a charmer. No where to go ashore, no crew interaction, everyone in masks. Poor things. Cruise from Hell coming up.

Hi Heckle and Jeckle. Brings back memories - name bestowed on self and mate as apprentices many years ago.

Did the Willis circumnavigation back in April on SP (10 minutes). It is a beautiful wild island with heaps of seabirds and one large building housing the weather station. A photo was posted a while ago here if you want to look. I think the bloke on VHF said there were 6 inhabitants. Not sure they have the loo paper, linen and cutlery for another 2000 dropins. Would also probably not be enough standing room. It is within range of the Qld rescue helicopters on the mainland (just) so could be used to evacuate anyone really crook. Dont know why they would though as seems at the moment swine flu is a mild form.

Sounds like a 'lay back and think of england' cruise and enjoy the experience? Would only be hell locked in your cabin for the whole trip.

Regards G&H

Hey yourself Waterwheel, good to know some other H&Js, albeit former ones. As you say, to enjoy this cruise, just lay back and think of England. Might make their temperatures rise in other ways though!

Re Willis Island - I don't think they are going to be allowed to go ashore. So they will just float around waiting to be cleared to move on. Just heard the ship has closed the spa and beauty salon; what next, the bar!

H&J

We have got friends on Board, going to phone there son to see if he knows anything.

I have friends onboad too and have just sent them a text. I'll post any info I receive from them as soon as I hear something.

I spoke with my father this afternoon who is on this cruise, when the ship was just off the Gladstone coast. He and my mum are having a ball, the captain has been fantastic keeping all passengers informed of developments. P & O have also been very generous to all passengers onboard from what he told me.

I spoke with my father this afternoon who is on this cruise, when the ship was just off the Gladstone coast. He and my mum are having a ball, the captain has been fantastic keeping all passengers informed of developments. P & O have also been very generous to all passengers onboard from what he told me.

who is the captian if they told you?

Hi has anyone had any news on what is going on with cruise W915?

Regards

Robert

Heading for Willis Island as other crew members are showing signs of flu symptoms, ship will anchor and as of now is quarantined. Queensland Govt.does not want a ship full of sick passengers to be going ashore until they feel it is safe to do so. Outraged passengers stating when the ship arrived in Sydney no information was provided about the seriousness of the outbreak.

The Captain when we just sailed and I believe he was continuing (we got off on 16 May) was David Box. Lovely man from what we heard from him. The entire crew are fantastic, I hope those infected are ok, really lovely people.

Heading for Willis Island as other crew members are showing signs of flu symptoms, ship will anchor and as of now is quarantined. Queensland Govt.does not want a ship full of sick passengers to be going ashore until they feel it is safe to do so. Outraged passengers stating when the ship arrived in Sydney no information was provided about the seriousness of the outbreak.

Aren't people incredible. :D They should get their facts right before becoming outraged and criticising. P & O would have needed ESP to know how serious the outbreak was on the Dawn before she sailed. NSW Health Dept believed there were a few cases of seasonal flu. The test for swine flu takes many hours after the initial test for influenze A. If that was reason to quarantine a ship, no ship would sail. It is safe to say that on every cruise there will be some disembarking passengers with a cold or flu.

Evon.

It was announced at 1300hrs that the Pacific Dawn will only be allowed to dock at a major city port where appropriate public health support will be available ........Brisbane or straight back to Sydney:confused::confused:......we will find out this afternoon.....

for those of you worried about catching the swine flu here's some fabulous news:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The government has placed an order with drug manufacturer CSL for a swine flu vaccine, which is expected to be developed within the next few months.

My friend onboard the Pacific Dawn told me that she was having and good time and so were her kids so the morale on the ship seems to be ok :) (she's not a complainer anyway). I think the media know more about what the ships movements are than the passengers...she only knew they were skipping the Whitsundays but then again that was this morning and things change quickly :rolleyes:.

Brisbane Times is reporting that the ship will arrive in Brisbane on Saturday and then Sydney on Monday.........to be confirmed this afternoon......shiona

Rose... glad to hear about your friend.......can't imagine its all BAD.........i would rather be stuck on a cruise ship than stuck in a hotel room in Hong Kong...

Info from press conference.....3 crew members minimal contact with pax -tested positive.....2 pax with flu type symptoms- negative.....

will dock in Brisbane on Saturday so AOK69 i would get there early if i were you.......and don't forget your mask.........just in case....:D:D:p:D

This is from the Pacific Dawn blog - looks like the cruise will be cut short, arriving back in Sydney on Monday.

Here’s some hard facts of what is happening on the Pacific Dawn. We’ll keep you posted as things come to hand.

No passengers onboard Pacific Dawn have tested positive to human swine flu, P&O Cruises confirmed today. Three crew members sailing on Pacific Dawn have made a full recovery with the company receiving confirmation from QLD Health this morning they have tested positive to human swine flu.

The crew have been in isolation and immediately treated with anti-viral medication to ensure the virus is contained.

Contrary to media reports, Pacific Dawn has not been quarantined.

Two passengers who had swabs sent ashore yesterday have received negative test results to human swine flu. They remain in isolation to contain seasonal influenza.

Any passengers showing flu symptoms are asked to stay in their cabins and, as an additional precaution, take anti-viral medication where appropriate to speed up their recovery.

The company’s onboard processes exceeded World Health Organisation requirements in successfully identifying, managing and containing flu cases.

Pacific Dawn’s present cruise itinerary has been altered so that the ship will no longer visit any North Queensland ports because there are unique concerns about the risks of quarantinable diseases in that region.

The ship’s itinerary has now been revised, the next planned port of call will be Brisbane on Saturday before returning to Sydney on Monday.

Ms Sherry apologised to passengers for any disappointment or inconvenience the itinerary change has caused. Passengers would be compensated for the change of schedule.

Ms Sherry said that there had been some inaccurate reporting of the situation yesterday, which had created unnecessary confusion.

The facts are:

• Pacific Dawn was not diverted to Willis Island. The sail-by of the island was originally scheduled for day seven of the cruise but was brought forward when the itinerary was altered due to the cancellation of the ship’s Whitsundays’ visit. In fact P&O Cruises late yesterday decided that the ship would not cruise to Willis Island but would continue to the next port.

• Passengers never disembark on Willis Island nor was there ever any plan to do that on this cruise.

• The yellow flag hoisted on Pacific Dawn yesterday does not mean the ship is under quarantine. The flag was hoisted on approach to Gladstone yesterday in accordance with nautical tradition as it symbolises a request for port entry and indicates the ship is healthy. The ship took the flag down after gaining authority to enter.

Concerned passengers can speak with P&O Cruises by calling 1800 129 961.

We will keep you posted on any new developments as they come to hand.

P&O Cruises

Archived