Luggage Valet? Experiences? Good Or Bad?

We sailed Freedom last week, May 17th - 24th. We were able to take advantage of the luggage valet service. It cost $20.00 per person, but we were able to set our luggage out on Sat. evening and did not have to touch or handle it until we reached our destination (Indy). We were able to disembark @ 7:00 am and breeze thru customs to our shuttle. This is a wonderful additional service, if you meet the requirements to participate. "Well worth every penny!!"

Thanks Again, RCCL:)

We were given documents and application form in our cabin and it listed the participating airlines and the qualifications. The from was simple, I asked a few questions and was assured it worked and it did.

We have used the luggage valet twice and it worked great both times - once from LA and once from Miami.

One word of caution, however, on our last cruise in April of this year, many passengers seemed to have signed up for the program thinking they could avoid the airline fees for baggage and overweight luggage. This is NOT TRUE - many people were at the customer relations desk the morning of departure and were very angry that additional charges had been applied to their sea pass account for airline baggage fees/overweight luggage.

We were flying as premier elite passengers and do not pay such extra charges - and the airline had clearly marked that on RC's paperwork ..... I was at the desk checking on something else, as this was clearly being shown to another passenger. The airline had sent RC a list of passengers and what the charges should be.

The $20 is in addition to any extra airline charges - we have been delighted with the service the two times that we have used it.

used this recently on X in sju. having that boarding pass is like winning the lottery there! in sju you have to pick up your luggage for customs once you leave the ship and then it is taken just steps away. worth every penny!

What airlines participate in FLL?

We're flying Northwest in December 2009, at the end of the Indy WB TA. Also, we're in a GS, and I understand that this is one of the new "Suite Perks."

Thanks, and

Happy Cruising,

TnT

We have used the luggage valet twice and it worked great both times - once from LA and once from Miami.

One word of caution, however, on our last cruise in April of this year, many passengers seemed to have signed up for the program thinking they could avoid the airline fees for baggage and overweight luggage. This is NOT TRUE - many people were at the customer relations desk the morning of departure and were very angry that additional charges had been applied to their sea pass account for airline baggage fees/overweight luggage.

We were flying as premier elite passengers and do not pay such extra charges - and the airline had clearly marked that on RC's paperwork ..... I was at the desk checking on something else, as this was clearly being shown to another passenger. The airline had sent RC a list of passengers and what the charges should be.

The $20 is in addition to any extra airline charges - we have been delighted with the service the two times that we have used it.

We used luggage valet this past April in San Juan for USAirways and loved it! Will use it every time it is available. There was, however, a snafu with the first and second checked baggage charges. We had upgraded to first class and, while aware that the baggage charges would be assessed if they were applicable, expected that first class made us exempt. We were amazed to see an extra $40 per person for our two bags each on our final sea pass account on debarkation day. When we pointed out to customer service that the charge was erroneous we got the answer that it was an airlines charge and we needed to address it with USAir at the airport. Needless to say, USAir disavowed responsiblity and said the charge was levied by the cruise line. Long story short, it took several days to sort out that luggage valet is run by a separate company (not airline, not cruise line) and they are the ones who messed up. We finally got the proper credit to our credit card account, but it took a bunch of phone calls after we were home. Still, I love the service and will use it again.

David

What is the criteria for use? Is it something more than just what airline you are flying on? It sounds great and I'd like to use it in San Diego in September when we get off Radiance.

Thanks

What is the criteria for use? Is it something more than just what airline you are flying on? It sounds great and I'd like to use it in San Diego in September when we get off Radiance.

Thanks

To use luggage valet, you have to have a flight after a certain time (usually 11am or noon in most ports), your flight must be completely within the US and all on the same airline, and your flight must depart before midnight the day you get off the ship.

The airlines that participate vary by port. Some airlines, like Southwest, don't participate at all.

Not all ports offer luggage valet. Currently San Diego is not on the list of ports that it is offered (this of course can always change). The list currently on RCCL's website is

• Ft. Lauderdale

• Los Angeles

• Miami

• Port Canaveral

• San Juan

• Seattle

• Vancouver

To use luggage valet, you have to have a flight after a certain time (usually 11am or noon in most ports), your flight must be completely within the US and all on the same airline, and your flight must depart before midnight the day you get off the ship.

The airlines that participate vary by port. Some airlines, like Southwest, don't participate at all.

Not all ports offer luggage valet. Currently San Diego is not on the list of ports that it is offered (this of course can always change). The list currently on RCCL's website is

• Ft. Lauderdale

• Los Angeles

• Miami

• Port Canaveral

• San Juan

• Seattle

• Vancouver

Thanks for the update on the Luggage Valet. ;)

I want to make sure I don't miss telling you all to have a GREAT cruise.

I am sure that you, Carol and Cindy, will keep that ship alive and laughing!!

Thanks for the update on the Luggage Valet. ;)

I want to make sure I don't miss telling you all to have a GREAT cruise.

I am sure that you, Carol and Cindy, will keep that ship alive and laughing!!

Thanks Pat! I'm already being teased on my Live from thread about my lack of grace.:p

Thanks Pat! I'm already being teased on my Live from thread about my lack of grace.:p

Oh my Wrona, watch your step! :D :D :D

Cindy and Carol. One of you always walk on her left and one of you always walk on her right. Be ready at all times to catch her. ;)

I used it last year in San Juan with American Airlines...best $20 spent on the whole trip... I am planning my next flight to SJ based on who participates in the Valet program...:D

Archived