IS category????

gapopes5

We have booked the Carnival Dream for December 19th 2009. (IS category- 2 rooms) I know we won't know until we get to the port, what kind of room we will have, but was just wondering if anyone has booked this before and what kind of room they ended up with. Hoping for a upgrade to a balcony if the ship isn't too crowded. Let me know if you have ever book IS category?:rolleyes:

I always book an IS and have been upgraded a couple of times (a couple of balconies and a 9a)....But there is no guarantee. Since the Dream is a new ship and probably will be booked to capacity for a while, plus you are going during a holiday week. Don't count on being upgraded. And most of the time, you will know your room prior to getting to port.

We have booked the Carnival Dream for December 19th 2009. (IS category- 2 rooms) I know we won't know until we get to the port, what kind of room we will have, but was just wondering if anyone has booked this before and what kind of room they ended up with. Hoping for a upgrade to a balcony if the ship isn't too crowded. Let me know if you have ever book IS category?:rolleyes:

Be aware that since Carnival started to do upsells, free upgrades, especially from a inside cabin to a balcony are very very very rare. Sure you see a post that 3 years ago, someone got a upgrade, that out of the last 9 guarantees, yep they once got a balcony, but imo those free upgrades have really dried up.

If you want a upgrade and are willing to pay for it, have whomever you booked with call about 10 days prior to inquire what you could get upgraded for upsell wise, might get a discount.

Iv only had one guarantee on Carnival, and thought we did great, got Empress deck, but still inside.

We had three guarantees on RCL, got bottom deck, aft where we could feel the vibration, deck 2 OV and a PR cabin. The OV we booked 4 days before the cruise and there were only 2 insides still unbooked. The PR category, RCL was upgrading everyone who booked guarantees on my last sailing, very generous. RCL doesnt do upsells either.

Most Carnival ships sail almost full. The general rule is upgrades within a cabin category are fairly common, but between cats (IS to OV or BL) is much less common.

I always book IS GTY and usually end up on the upper deck with an IS. Occasionally (3 times in 16 cruises) I've ended up in an OV or BL.

As the Dream is new and popular, I'm not sure I'd be counting on a significant upgrade. You'll know your cabin assignment sometime between booking and the Pier, more likely a month or so from sailaway. ken

My trip earlier this month we booked IS, ended up with inside on Verandah - think it was 4F or something. Then 48 hours out got an upsell call for a balcony - $100pp, not free - but hey, it was still a super deal and we took it. We had our choice of approx 6 balconies on 3 different decks.

We booked through Carnival kept watching the prices several times a day. Had 2 insides booked, price dropped close to balcony price, called about an upgrade, told us they would have to check with their supervisor,minutes later approved move to 2 balconys for very little $.

My answer was Buckle up Buttercup

We sail next sunday on the CONQUEST

We booked through Carnival kept watching the prices several times a day. Had 2 insides booked, price dropped close to balcony price, called about an upgrade, told us they would have to check with their supervisor,minutes later approved move to 2 balconys for very little $.

We sail next sunday on the CONQUEST

My answer was Buckle up Buttercup

Its true that emergencies can cause a better deal to open that you called about and made happen. I also got a great deal on Conquest, due to the itinerary changes that allowed folks to cancel. The flu worked to our advantage this May thru mid June.

Having a hurricane in the area during hurricane months can also mean some deals opening due to cancellations.

Ya never know when there will be another last minute opportunity, so OP keep a eye out if you hear about a emergency near your sailing date.

Its true that emergencies can cause a better deal to open that you called about and made happen. I also got a great deal on Conquest, due to the itinerary changes that allowed folks to cancel. The flu worked to our advantage this May thru mid June.

Having a hurricane in the area during hurricane months can also mean some deals opening due to cancellations.

Ya never know when there will be another last minute opportunity, so OP keep a eye out if you hear about a emergency near your sailing date.

firefly enjoy reading your posts but this was just before the swine flu thing, so OP keep an eagle eye on those prices

firefly enjoy reading your posts but this was just before the swine flu thing, so OP keep an eagle eye on those prices

OK, point for point, you made it happen, it also wasnt a free upgrade from a IS guarantee you booked, prices came down (no matter what the reason) so you were able to upgrade.

Prices were soft so you could move up.

OK, point for point, you made it happen, it also wasnt a free upgrade from a IS guarantee you booked, prices came down (no matter what the reason) so you were able to upgrade.

Prices were soft so you could move up.

never said it was free

Just got my room assignment today for IS (52 days out) and it was on the Riviera Deck Aft. Previously on Carnival booking IS we got Inside on the Empress Deck and OV on the Empress Deck. It is the risk you must be willing to take when booking IS.

Archived