Do you gain weight on your cruise?

I've never gained weight on a cruise....for a simple reason.

I am a foodie, no doubt, and run a bit overweight all my life. However, my eating habits don't change on a cruise. I might have a cocktail or 2 or an occassional dessert after dinner if it's something yummy, but will only eat normally. No seconds on anything....it's not necessary.

I see so many who pig out and cram everything they find into their mouths, brag about how many lobsters they eat, drink gallons of alcohol over the week-then complain because they gain weight.

Just use your head....eat a LITTLE of everything, don't drink like crazy and you'll be fine.

Dh always loses weight because he is always on the go on any cruise! I have always lost weight until 3 weeks ago on Freedom.......I gained 2 pounds!

We always take the stairs unless we have luggage in our hands(getting on or off the ship) and work out in the gym 2 or 3 times in a week.

We drink every night(definitely not the norm) and I calculated that on our last cruise, I probably drank 1,000 calories in alcohol every day, thus the 2 pound weight gain!:mad: At least I was having fun!!;):D

The most I have ever lost was 5 pounds on our Med. cruise. I needed a vacation after that cruise!! Exhausting!

• 1 month later...

I read somewhere that the AVERAGE is a gain of ten pounds. :eek:

I gained about five lbs. on our last cruise but was able to lose that and more thanks to Wii Fit and diet. :)

I managed no weight gain during one RCI 7-day cruise, taking advantage of the "ship shape" menu and onboard activities. Too bad Ship Shape is no more. :(

DW and I take the stairs and walk alot but we gain about 1-2 lbs during the cruise.

We may be weird, but AFTER the cruise is a hard time for us. We are so used to eating an omelet for breakfast and a couple of cookies in the afternoon and some really good meals, our stomachs have grown and we are constantly hungry. So we both have to watch out more afterwards than during.

We gained 6lbs each on this last cruise but already have lost most of that again, we did over indulge on the food. At home we dont eat deserts,or 3 meals a day, but we had to try them on the ship, well we were on holday!!:D

We never used the gym on board but the excursions involved a lot of walking and still gained, imagine how much if we hadnt walked a lot!

On our first couple of cruises, we gained a bit of weight but took it off shortly after we returned home.

Now we tend to not really put on extra weight. We walk a lot on board and try to use the stairs as much as we can, and definitely are careful about what we eat.

Tom n Sara, I totally agree! I thought it was just me:)

I have to reprogram my body after the cruise.

We do all the active things listed. Walking the track, NEVER taking the elevators, so on and so forth.

I still usually gain 2-4 pounds. Same for my husband. We don't even drink!

As stated above, the challenge does not end at when I get off the ship:) I have to remind myself that it is not normal to always have something sweet at the end of the meal. That I don't need a cookie at 10 o'clock at night. Bad habits can form in less then a week!

At first I was worried about this. But after surgery and almost not being here, I just went to enjoy life. I ended up losing because we walked alot from one end of the ship to the other and took the stairs. Then our excursion was a lot of walking in the heat. I did not eat less. I actually ate more. Go and enjoy yourself and worry when you come back. Life is too short, take it from me.

At first I was worried about this. But after surgery and almost not being here, I just went to enjoy life. I ended up losing because we walked alot from one end of the ship to the other and took the stairs. Then our excursion was a lot of walking in the heat. I did not eat less. I actually ate more. Go and enjoy yourself and worry when you come back. Life is too short, take it from me.

I totally agree!!! we sort the weight out when we get back home:D

I usually lose 1-3 lbs. I do more exercise on a cruise than at any other time. I'm always going from one end of the ship to the other for different activities, meeting up with the family, etc. I try to save most of my calories for dinner since that is my favorite meal. The drinks are a killer. Stick with wine mostly, or even hard alcohol with just splashes of soda or juice. Also, you can taste the amount of salt in some of the food because they use so much. Give yourself a week before hitting the scale when you get home. You'll get a more accurate #. Have Fun!

I used the gym everyday but those kilometers instead of miles threw me off. So I probably didn't do as much as I usually do. We kayaked and snorkled a ton but I still gained 5 pounds. I am a teacher and am on my feet all day everyday and I work out 4-5 times a week so the sitting by the pool with the high calorie adult beverages did me in. I could see the difference by the end of the week.

I plan to lose 5 ahead of time from now on and just not worry about it. It came off fast after I got home anyway.

Monica

We always make a vow to not take the elevator when we're on board. It was hard on Liberty, but I think we only took the elevator once or twice. We were amazed how good it felt to take the stairs each time--it was quite a workout in itself.

Have a great time!

We take the stairs too, and usually book on lower decks. Since we have a one level house it's a shock to our bodies. So any slight weight gain, I attribute to muscle building. ;)

Does anyone know whether the gym gets packed out to the point where you have to wait to use the equipment?

I guess 1st thing in the morning is the busiest time???

It usually is really crowded the first part of the cruise. You get people that do not workout when they are at home. I for one like to watch these people as some times they dont know how to start or operate the machines properly. It is entertaining. By mid week it usually opens up and there is hardly a wait peroid.

Doesnt' everyone? I diet like crazy before every cruise so I board at least five pounds under my ideal weight. Of course, then I put on MORE than I lost during the course of the cruise! I generally continue to gain for a while after I return, having grown accustomed to eating more than usual.

I'm REALLY active on my cruises, but I also eat a lot more than I do at home! (The chefs are better cooks than I am!!)

I am a very particular eater; not liking most meat and loathing all seafod except shrimp. I don't often eat desserts or drink high-calorie drinks. I generally choose salads, steamed veggies, fruit and chicken without breading or cream sauces. I never take the elevator and do power walking on the ship every day.

I've never eaten any food onboard that is as good as my husband's cooking!

Archived