Do you gain weight on your cruise?

as per the thread title.

When Mum went in November on Grandeur she gained 9lbs :eek:

How much do you all gain when you go? Im gonna lose 7lbs so I can gain it back with confidence ;)

Ill be on Liberty in November - I'll be in that gym every morning but I have to run 6 miles to burn 650 calories and I can swallow 650 calories in a minute!!

My husband gained 2lbs and I gained 1.5 on our last cruise. We continued to eat healthy like at home, but because someone else is preparing the meals, I wasn't sure what other ingredients they put in them. We do a lot of walking and taking the stairs and when we're in the ports, get more excercise. In the past we'd eat everything in sight and come home 11 pounds or more heavier. We've had to change our lifestyle due to health conditions w/my husband, so this last time we started looking for the healthier foods. There's always fruit and vegetables. I'd try to keep it light for breakfast and lunch and then at dinner, treat myself a little more. We still couldn't pass up the ham and cheese crouissants though. I'm surprised we didn't gain more from those, but I guess the extra walking helped! Have a great cruise!

We always make a vow to not take the elevator when we're on board. It was hard on Liberty, but I think we only took the elevator once or twice. We were amazed how good it felt to take the stairs each time--it was quite a workout in itself.

Have a great time!

When I watched what I ate/drank I actually lost 1/2 a pound from all of the activity. I preferred to walk the track on the deck as the treadmills were a challenge on the moving vessel.

Last cruise I wasn't as stringent and gained 4 but I find that once you resume normal (as opposed to cruise) eating it all evens out.

I actually lost almost 5lbs on my last cruise.

I am slightly mobility impaired, and don't get as much exercise at home as I should. We had an aft cabin on the Explorer, and I think that extra walking did the trick for me. I also tried to avoid the elevator when I could, and although it took me a little longer then most to get up or down, I did feel a lot better for doing it! :D

Does anyone know whether the gym gets packed out to the point where you have to wait to use the equipment?

I guess 1st thing in the morning is the busiest time???

Last cruise I actually lost a little weight.

DW and I have a rule, no elevator unless it's MORE than 2 levels either direction. We also exercise every morning. I'm not a sedentary person anyway, so being on the ship with much to do, it was easy to keep busy and burning calories. Gym was crowded, but not unbearable.

as per the thread title.

When Mum went in November on Grandeur she gained 9lbs :eek:

How much do you all gain when you go? Im gonna lose 7lbs so I can gain it back with confidence ;)

Ill be on Liberty in November - I'll be in that gym every morning but I have to run 6 miles to burn 650 calories and I can swallow 650 calories in a minute!!

So far I have lost weight on every cruise I have taken. I tend to eat less since mostly the foods are unfamiliar. Or rather not what I would normally eat.

I tend to gain a little weight every cruise. I don't know if it's all the salt retaining water in my system or what. Luckily, after about a week back home all the weight I gain has come back off.

i always do! haha. About 5 pounds or so. But whats the point of a cruise if your not enjoying yourself?!

Ditto! I workout regularly 4-5 times a week and about my only time off from the gym is during vacation. I gave up trying to workout on vacations a few years back in Ireland (you know how hard it is to find a gym there?! :eek:). I lose about 10lbs prior to the cruise in anticipation of gaining a majority of it back. Fortunately it's mostly water weight and is gone within a few days of getting back to a normal routine. :)

I actually eat less on the cruise but drink wayyyy more than usual. :p

I have never gained weight on any of my cruises. But I am a fitness fanatic at home..........while on vacation I don't step foot in the gym:D

Total vacation mode for me......

I don't get the whole working out while on vacation! It's called vacation for a reason! :D

This is our first cruise -- but since hubby and I are maintaining signficant weight loss for over 5 years. .we look at our yearly vacation as jsut that . .a VACATION. .Dieting is a lifestyle change adn we eat healthy 51 weeks a year .. and we need a mental break from it. . Im hoping that with a lot of walking (and maybe a few trips to the fitness area for me) I wont gain .or wont gain much. .on a normal beach vacation.. we usually dont gain at all ..however, that is minus all the wonderful food that Im expecting on the RAdiance

On average (11 cruises) I gain about 1/2 pound per day. I am on vacation so I do eat lots of things I would not at home. My stratagy is to lose the weight before I go when I am motivated. I also eat small meals on the ship (no second plate, no piles of food on it). I enjoy at least one dessert a day since I don't do this at home. I don't have more than one foofoo drink a day, ( lava flow, fruit drink) as these pack a lot of calories. I do drink wine. We take the steps, walk when we can on excursions and visit the gym for the treadmill but make no rules that we have to. Within a couple of days at home I am back to my regular eating habits and usually at my goal weight. (Lifetime weightwatcher).

Last 2 cruises I have retained almost 5 pounds of water over the length of the cruise that comes off quickly. I am guessing this is because my aging body is reacting more to the salt left in the ship water. I am thinking of taking a case of water on board next time to keep this from happening.

Have a good time, lose before you cruise if you are worried about it but don't let it stop you from enjoying yourself!

I was surprised when I returned home from my 9 night cruise a few weeks ago that I had lost 5 pounds! I ate a hefty breakfast everyday (omelet, fruit and a little bacon), then for lunch a nice salad, a meat (fish) and some veggies and then I would have a dessert if I wanted one and for dinner the same minus the dessert. However, I did have a nice stash of cookies in the stateroom for the late night sweet tooth. I walked everywhere. As another poster said, any location under 2 or 3 flights, I walked. Deck 5 was my favorite place to walk. I however did not drink but 2 drinks! :rolleyes: For me, I was able to make smart choices and still endulge a bit.

Does anyone know whether the gym gets packed out to the point where you have to wait to use the equipment?

I guess 1st thing in the morning is the busiest time???

It does get a little busy on the Voyager of the Seas, especially on Sea Days. But we never had a problem getting a tread mill.

I always work out on vacation - one of the reasons is there is no rush to get in the gym do a work out then get out to get to work, or pick up the kids or start the dinner - I have all the time I want in the gym.

Any vacation I take (mostly at all inclusive resorts - but that may change after my 1st cruise :)) has to have a fitness centre - its on my top 3 criteria. If I dont run for 7-10 days my fitness suffers and my mile times dip.

That may not matter to many but I race regularly so have to keep fit. Got to keep those PB's coming!

I don't usually weigh myself before or after a cruise but on our last cruise the friend that went with me could tell a difference in how her pants fit by the end of our trip.

I think it is a combination of several things that may vary depending on the individual.

--more salt in the food

--eating more than usual (larger meals, snacks, more desserts, etc.)

--more drinks with calories and drinking less water (those cups of lemonade and ice tea can add up!)

--general water retention from airline flights (my ankles get swollen when I fly more than 3 hours)

I know I tried to make good choices on the Monarch but I have issues with portion control. :rolleyes:

I have a real talent in gaining weight. If I could get paid for my talent.

Its always a hassel for me. But Im going to enjoy life and not stress if Im eating right blah blah. My hubby has stage 4 cancer and I work in the stock brokerage biz my life is one pressure cooker and when its vacation time its time to not stress myself anymore.

If someone could tell me why when we travel our legs retain water.

Its odd to me.

Happy planning

Brenda

Peoria, AZ

I think I stayed about even. I didn't weigh for over a week before the cruise and when I returned home I had lost over 1 pound. We do tend to walk a lot plus we take the stairs and avoid the elevators. We also do active excursions.

DH and I stayed on the 8th deck of the Explorer Of The Seas...never used the elevator accept on formal night. The steps were great to go up and down since the elevators were busy.

Walked the top deck in the morning and rock wall climbed a few times. Our diet didn't change from home....salads, dinner and maybe a sugar free desert. Walked throughout Bermuda and drank water most of the day. So no weight gain but we don't cruise for the food.

The gym in the morning was also a great way to get in a workout.

Archived