Cruising to Healthy

brooklynfc

HI everyone. I found this thread today and spent all day except for the hours I was at church reading all 501 posts. Yes I read everyone of them. Just wanted to say Hi and I will get on and post about myself in the morning but right now it is past my bedtime. lol I feel like I know you already.

My name is Annette btw;)

Mornin'

Hey Jess! I know I missed a day, lol. It was homecoming weekend so we were swamped all weekend with work. Then of course I caught up on sleep during down time.

Nice to meet you Annette!

It was a rough weekend. I had to get up early on Friday and Sat. And I had to make some hard food choices b/c I just had to eat what was available to me. I won't go into to detail b/c it would just be too much writing. Let's just say, my biggest mistake was having three slices of Papa John's X-Large Pizza. But I had let myself get so hungry trying to save up points for it and that is what happens when you do that. But I had no alcohol at all, which I would consider wasted points, lol. I got in some walking when I didn't have to and some bike workouts. After Saturday I just assumed all my Flex points were gone and didn't go over on Sunday and hopefully not today either. I guess I'll see what the scale reflects on Tuesday.

I go on vacation on Thursday-Sunday. We are going to Gettysburg, Hershey, and Philly for the eastern state Penn. haunted house and site seeing. I'm glad I get the time off after Homecoming and then the next weekend is our Folklife Festival and my bday is on that following Tuesday.

I hope October doesn't ruin my weight loss. Southern food at Folklife and Birthday cake.

Does anyone hav a yummy low cal birthday cake recp.? I'm not so much into the DQ ice cream cakes as the actually cake and not that whipped topping either. LOL. Maybe if I just have a little cake. You know how they make those little round ones for like 2 or 3 servings. I know angel food is low cal, but I really don't like the spongyness. Maybe a cake from scratch with low cal butter and milk and sugar free icing. IDK, haha.

If I skip out on Thurs and Fri. You'll know where I'm at, lol.

Good choices.

Sorry to leave such a short message last night but I had been reading soooo long. LOL

I saw so much on that I wanted to talk about yesterday but I am sure I will forget most of it.

I will start by telling you about myself. I am 30 years old, married, mother of 4 kids ages 13, 8, one that will be 6 on Sat, all girls then a 3 year old little boy. At present my weight is 118. I am down 30 lbs since mid April. 148 was the highest nonpregnancy weight that I have ever been. The smallest weight was 101. Now some may wonder why I am on here. Well I didn't mention that I am only 5 foot no more. I am very little up top so can't even blame some pounds there lol.

I was on here looking around yesterday when I came to this page and just couldn't finish until I had read it all. There was so much encouragment and some of the same feelings of disappointment that I deal with myself. It just felt like a sisterhood. (I know some guys posted but not a lot). To me weight isn't about how you look to others but how you feel about yourself. I just feel better when I weigh less. I still want to lose 10 lbs before I go on my cruise in Dec 2009. I find that I am one of those people who are all or nothing which isn't always a good thing. When I workout I watch what I eat, I get more energy, then I am up earlier and stay on a good schedule doing my Bible study/Prayer journal. In my prayer journal I always pray about, amoung other things, to go to bed early, wake up early, get in and stay in shape, eat healthy. If I start to get off track in working out I don't have the energy to get up early, if I don't walk that day I am more likely to eat more which leads to me feeling sluggish which leads to drinking soda or eating lots of sugar. If I sleep late I don't usually get my Prayer journal in because I have to get 4 kids ready for school and if I don't do it while they are sleeping I can't concentrate because someone is always into something, fighting, or need something. lol

I have lost weight but it was not easy. I still have to think before I put stuff in my mouth. My lastest problem is tasting the kids food or eating a couple fries from their plate etc. At this point am I overweight no but I am not happy with where I am. I am happier then where I was and if I didn't lose anymore but got more toned in a few areas that would be fine. When I was at 148 I was in this depression cycle. I would feel misrable and bloated and clothes would feel to tight and I would hate looking at how my image in the mirror had changed in just 1 and 1/2 years. Yes I knew it was due to stress, my mom got very sick for months and was close to death and we couldn't get Dr's to get aggressive in finding out why, my father-in-law passed away, my Mom was getting better then had a horrible accident on Jan 30th 2009 and was in the hospital for 4 weeks then couldn't even try to walk for another 2 months after she came home (had to have hip recontructed). She owns a tax business so I was having to run her tax office because she didn't have any employees other then me. So I just turned to a lot of junk food, "comfort" food, Cherry drinks I love them but I swear they really pack on the pounds for me:( Anyway I would then eat because I was depressed about what I HAD ate. That never makes since but it happens. BTW I am glad to see that mother nature isn't just ugly to me but everyone. lol

It does make me a little angry that people just assume that I have high metabolism or when they say you have such will power you can just eat one on the inside I am screaming NO I DON'T If I eat one I may eat 10. I want to have healthy habits for my kids, I don't want them to feel like I do about food. Its like from the time you start your first "diet" you either stay on it and think about food or either you go off of it and feel guilty about food. My husband weighs over 360 lbs and is 6 foot 2 ozs but almost everyone in his family is on the heavy side. Some of his family is close to 700 lbs. I really don't want my kids ecspecially my son to grow up that way. There is diabetes and heart disease every on our family tree and I just fear what could happen to them. My brother was around 220 and at age 36 had a heart attack. He had surgury and had 100 persent blockage on one side and 99 on the other.

I will end this post since it is so long but will come back later and kind of tell you what my routine is. Just wanted to tell everyone thanks so much for all the help I have already gotten and look forward to even more. I hope my point came accross that weight issue is a major factor is the majority of people today no matter what their size is.:)

OK now rocking the little man to sleep and trying to stay awake myself. :p

A usual day for me is as follows.

Cup of purple grapes that I eat while on the treadmill walking

for Breakfast always fat free turkey breast that Walmart sales with Romaine lettuce, tomato, mustard, and lite honey wheat toast

usually a snack around 10am- some of the options are dried apple chips (45 calories)that come in a single serving bag with Disney on them (again a walmart item), some kind of 100 calorie snacks. I really like the mister salty chocolate covered pretzels yum, some Good Health Energy nut mix (yes a walmart item again) it has soy nuts, cranberries, almond, and pumkin seeds, or mini 94% fat free popcorn. Those are the main things I usually have around.

for lunch either a can of healthy options soup or Lean cuisine or healthy choice (If I am out with Mom for her therapy or something we will do Chick-fil-a she likes the coke zero and I like their chargrilled sandwich.

Some more snack in the afternoon same choices as above or maybe a weight watchers Fudge Pop

Supper- always a bowl of cereal with skim milk. I would like to say that its frosted miniwheats or something but its not. Something like Cocoa pebbles, Lucky Charms, Trix or some other sugar filled cereal. I have a very sweet tooth and this really help me to stay away from donouts and stuff like that. I always have a big bowl and make sure to drink all the milk.

For drinks I try to get 7 cups of water in daily then tea made with splenda (I am from South Carolina so we cook the tea then add the splenda right away and drink it cold) Every morning with my grapes I drink a sugar free Red Bull and with my vitamins I drink about 2 ozs of the Mocha Frappachino that Starbucks sells in the grocery stores. I like the smell more then the drink I think. lol

My workout routine was to walk the amount of miles that it is from my house to the Miami port because that is where we are leaving for our cruise. That is 625.79 miles. Yesterday morning I hit 626.5 miles :D:D SO I made it to the port of course all miles were on the treadmill while I watched tv:p I was walking 3.5 miles a day and then doing some weight training/yoga/dance video for 20-40 mins. Since I have made it to the port now I am only walking 30 mins a day (2 miles) and doing strenght training activites for 40-60 min.

I get up at 4am every morning which is hard sometimes but I just think about how much that I love the alone time I have during that time. I do try to go to sleep at 10pm and most nights I make it on time. On Sat.'s is not as easy because my oldest daughter is in the marching band color guard and they have contest during Oct.

I think that is all of it. I have a bad memory as you will probably notice from time to time.

Going to try and remember some of the things I wanted to post last night

Brooke-Great job! I also love Biggest Loser and Ruby. Although I haven't seen Ruby lately. I have a bike thingy as I call it and it really kicks my behind. LOL So doing 3- 10min sessions a day is impressive to me. I really hope that your pain issues are getting better. My husband (Richard) fell off a semi-truck in 2002 and had major back surgury in 2004 and he still has problems and has pain everyday. I think it is great that your Mom is trying to help you and think about the things you need from the store. Do you have a lot of hunters in your family? I noticed you had deer meat well into the summer if not still. My husband did weight watchers a couple years ago and it really seems to be working for you.

Jess-My mom had a gastric bypass in the early 90's. She lost down to around 145. She had no problems up until last year. That is part of the reason she starting going down in health and very fast. From like Jan-July 17th she lost about 35lbs but it wasn't in a good way. She just got to where she couldn't eat. I mean literally she could not get food to go down because it would burn her throat. She really went a couple of months from the last time she ate a full meal not a big meal but just a full meal until we got someone to finally admit her in the hospital. We saw about 8-9 drs and and it finally took my grandmothers oncologist to really look at her as a person and not just another appt. He pushed through and set her up with the Emory clinic in Atlanta as well as a wonderful Dr in Augusta that he said would think outside the box. They found that her body was completely depleted of copper. Very very rare and they don't know exactly why. She had depleted of her irons, vitamin d's her protein was like 1.9 and the oncologist looked at us 2 diffrent times and told us she was days from dying. It was so hard by that time it was honestly starting to mess with her mind. She couldn't drive, she couldn't hardly talk because she didn't have the energy to get her mouth open. Anyway she has had to be hooked up on a picc line TPN that gives her massive amounts of fats and vitamins with copper right into her blood stream. She is doing better now and her last 2 blood works were great. I am not trying to talk you out of the surgury I am just telling you this so 1) you remember to take every vitamin they tell you every single day my mom stopped after 10 years thought she didn't need them anymore 2) So that you can have them keep a check on your copper levels every couple years after the surgury. My Mom having the surgury was a life saver because they found a precancerous tumor on her liver that her fat was covering on all the scans and x-rays. I really hope you can get to that goal so you can move on to the next phase of your life. Also Great job with the workouts. I could see a diffrence in you with your words between the begining and the end of the thread.

Nicole-wondering where you are and how school is going?

Kim-Congrats on your 5 year anniversary and your plans for a baby next year. :D I totally understand about once you lose the motivation to workout its hard to get it back. Good luck to you.

Kimmers- Its great that you can work night shifts and still manage to watch what you eat because I really couldn't do that.

Sardis-You remind me a lot of me. We jump in with both feet and focus on an event and just manage to do it and then after the events comes and goes it is a lot harder to keep it off. Hoping that you and I can both keep it off after our events.

These are just the names I remember off the top of my head.

I will be praying for everyone on here because I try to remember all my online friends every morning.

'Have a great night and good luck tomorrow.;)

Mornin'

Hi Annette!

Thanks for all the great words. I always like seeing different perceptions on weight loss and hearing about other people's journeys. You seem like you have a great routine worked out. 4 am would be death for me, but I'm glad someone can do it, lol. I'm a night person, so I do all my exercise in the evening.

Just FYI for everyone. Nicole sent me a message on Facebook saying she was sorry for not being around, but with school and planning the wedding she just doesn't have the time right now.

Jess,

How are the swimming and boot camp sessions going?

Last night I had home made taco salad (Yes, Annette with deer meat, my dad is a hunter and we have plenty of it to last all year). I had fiber one shredded wheat for a snack and ff whipped cream and ff hot coco mix for a before dinner sweet tooth craving.

I had cereal for bk yesterday and I had a slice of pizza and a cookie for lunch. I know not healthy AT ALL, but I wanted it and had the points. Plus normally I would have eaten two slices and a cookie. I actually rounded the points up a bit for the pizza b/c it was a rather large slice.

I could only do 10 mins on the bike last night. I was just having annoying pain in my leg and couldn't stand it. But I did have to walk over to the Papa Johns on campus and back and up the stairs, so I got a short workout, though I don't count those as exercise points.

Today was shredded wheat cereal. I brought a banana, apple, and ff pudding, and crackers for snacks. I have a LC in the freezer, but I might have to force myself to eat it. I wasn't feelin it this morning, but it was the only one left without peppers, or mushrooms or fish (my boss is allergic to it, even just the smell.).

Today is weight in. We will see what happens. 1lb was the goal, so lets just hope for that much.

Brooke and Jess, you're doing such a fantastic job!!! I'm so happy for you guys!!!

Brooke - as for a low calorie cake....what if you made a Diet Coke cake? I know it was mentioned before in another thread that I started but got killed by someone ripping Jess apart so....anyways, if you want the recipe I can give it to ya! It's really simple and yummy!

Annette, you're doing a great job as well! From catching up on here, and reading about you, we have a lot in common!

I used to do colorguard in high school as well! My husband loves making tea (boiling the water first, putting it in the pitcher to mix and add ice!) so now I've just got to learn to like it! I used to love it when I was younger, and would make it by the pitcher for myself, but as I got older, I've out grown it. All I drink is water, Lipton Sparkling Strawberry-Kiwi Green Tea, and crystal lights. I'd really like to add something else to my selection.

My husband was up to 242 and he picked a date of when to start losing weight, and he stood by it. He's now hanging around 150 and loves it, he's kept the weight off now for over a year! All the new energy he has, things he is able to do now without getting winded, now I have to keep up with him! I myself was 127 at one point, but have been at my current weight now for almost 2 years now.

Here I am at my heaviest:

NYE2007002.jpg

And here's my husband at his heaviest, I believe:

P3130031.jpg

Here we are now::D

1243607376.jpg

Hi Annette, thank you for all your kind words. Sorry to hear that happened to your mom. I have been in the weight loss surgery program and attening meetings for TWO years now and I finally realised what I have been doing wrong....I've been thinking about the surgery and after the surgery and worrying so much that I couldn't think about how I was going to get the weight off first before I could even consider surgery. Their BMI cutoff is 60- and two years ago it was 65...I'm still at the same weight I was two years ago and also I need to lose 10% of my weight. SO with all that in mind..my main goal right now is to get some weight off and deal with the surgery and think about it more later. Maybe I will decide not to do it...I don't know but I have to face what is in my hand right now and work from there. :D When people who know that I was considering the surgery and they ask me..when are you havin gthe surgery? (and believe me a lot of people ask me like all the time!) I tell them that right now I'm trying to focus on losing some weight and will not concentrate so much on having the surgery right now. Of course I am still going to the meetings which I must say are VERY helpful. Mostly now it's just me or one other person there, so I get a lot of one on one time with the nutritionist and psychologist. ;)

Brooke - Things are going well with the bootcamp. Swimming ended and today was my last day seeing the therapist and she gave me some on land excercises to work on and work on standing in the right posture as not to injury or hurt my back.

I used to eat deer meat when I was younger and of course my father is a hunter as well. For some reason now...I can't get myself to eat it. :confused:

Honestly though guys- today has not been my day- I stopped somewhere I shoouldn't have this morning for breakfast and I feel like I have been pigging out on snacks ever since. Oh it also started snowing a bit today! :eek:

I woke up with a headache as well! Maybe I should hit the gym after work...let's hope I can get out of this weird slump today! :(

Ok first since everybody could always you a good laugh. I will tell you how I figured out how I can post to everyone at the same time and still remember what they had said. I had to open another tab. I have one open to the thread and now this one open writing my reply. LOL At times I wonder if there could be something wrong with my mind but everyone tells me its just because I have so much on my plate (no pun intended).

Brooke-really hoping you reach that goal at weigh in. I know how exciting it is to see any less on the scale. My hubby bought him some frosted mini wheats the other night but I just can't do it. He also brought some fiber one yogurt but all Key lime flavor which I am not a fan of do you know if they have other flavors? The good news for me and deer meat is that when I cook with it I can't eat it. So that really helps with temptation. Not sure why I think the first time I cooked with ground deer meat it just looked so diffrent and now I can't get past it. Of course my Dad was not a hunter and even though Richard use to be he has only done it one year out of the (almost 10) we have been married. I am so proud that you can dump the sweets out of your Healthy Choice that is one of my favorite parts.

Kim (at least I think I am remembering that right lol) Yeah I did colorguard 2 years in high school then got pregnant with my oldest. So having her start high school and doing color guard feels very odd and like I have come full circle so to speak. Almost like a movie you are watching something then your mind flashes to a memory of your past. I am breathing a little more now then I was when she first started the year so just having to remember this is her future not my past. It doesn't help when boys call or people keeping telling her how she is really looking older and prettier everyday. :eek: I really wish Richard could get some weight off. Not because I am ashamed or angry with him but I know he wants it plus I know he will feel better and be able to do more with the kids plus it would have to help with his leg and back pain But mainly I know that if something major health wise every happened to him I would not be able to take care of him at home. He started back to school last year and is going for something that has to do with computers. I can't drink any green tea. I even tried it in pill form and dropper form it all gives me a bad stomachache instantly and makes me feel bad all over. PS what is diet coke cake?

Jess- I think it is great that they have those meetings now. I wish they would have had them when Mom did hers. Plus how cool that you get to see the nutritionist and psychologist for a lot of one on one time. Do you go on a monthly basis or is it weekly? That makes sense about not worrying about whats going to happen after "somthing" but focusing on how to get to the "something". I have always wanted to do water aerobics but I never have. Did you enjoy it? I have been struggling a lot myself this last week. More tempted to taste the kids food or eating more snacks then I should. More then I few times I have came close to eating something that I know I shouldn't. Not that I want eventually get to where I will add stuff in in moderation but not till I leave for my cruise. Only 52 days left so hopefully by then I will have worked more on knowing when to allow myself and when to then stop. My whole family is a family of eaters we just love food.

So far so good today. Had to take Mom to therapy. A few opinion ?'s for everybody

1) Do you think it is right for a mother to make comments to, about, or if front of their child about them gaining weight or getting "fat"?

2) I have thought a couple times that maybe if I just give in and have a big meal or dessert then I will kickstart my body into losing again. Is this just my cravings trying to fool my body or my body telling me something? I have a hard time if I start eating more getting myself to stop so I am really afraid to try it.

3) Anyone do any yoga? I have been trying that Nomesta Yoga show that comes on the FIT channel and I spend a lot of time laughing at myself. I really like the warm up and cool down but that middle part sure loses me. :rolleyes:

My facebook name is under Annette Rushton. I have long brown hear leaning over my husband who is wearing green and navy stripped shirt. Feel free to add me if you would like.

Well, I lost .8. WW insists that you put exactly what the scale says. However, you have to remember that they are a business, they want to make money. And the place where exact weight comes in to play is when you reach life time and you only weigh once a month, but you have to stay within 2 lbs or you have to start paying again. So, they def. want the exact number. Of course when I weigh on those digital scales, the number never sits still. I just usually count the number that it flashes to the most. My point is that I lost a freakin' lb no matter what, I like to round up.

So, as far as I'm concerned I met my goal and I know the reasons I didn't do better. Don't know if I can fix them over vacation, but I will try. I'm taking work out clothes with me. And the girl who is going with me is also on WW although she is one of those people who only needs to lose like 15 lbs, lol. I won't hold it against her. We will be doing some walking on our ghost tour and through the haunted house. Plus we are going to walk some of the Battlefield at Gettysburg. So I hope with all the walking that I normally wouldn't do, plus hopefully a gym at one of the hotels I can stay OP (On Point).

You guys are like my personal confessional, lol.

Jess,

Don't worry about what happened this morning. Start over from where you are at now. I think Oprah said that. Its one of those things I used to do. I'd start by eating a fried chicken biscuit, so then I think I blew the whole day and would just eat whatever. But one biscuit will not blow your whole day. You just have to re-evaluate the rest of the day and work around the biscuit. I know you know that, but sometimes it helps just to read it or hear it again. Right now I'm drink a Coke Zero and I ate a half a pouch of M & M's. I didn't want the LC yet or maybe not at all.

Annette,

I know what you mean about the deer. It does have a gamey taste to it. Its hard to eat unless it has sauces or flavoring on it. But I guess I got used to over the years and especially since mom is trying to save by using the deer and not buy hamburger. Plus it is one of the leanest meats besides turkey. So, I figure I'm doing myself a favor. Your not crazy about opening another Page either. I sometimes forget to write to people and feel bad.

Kim,

How long did it take you to get your niece down for a nap yesterday, lol. I know that feeling. My friend has twins. I had to hold both of them one time b/c one would cry if I put the other down.

New Goal: (I'm just full of coversation today)

I'm want to reach the "teens" next, so my next goal will be 313. A little of a jump from 330, but I know its very doable. I keep trying to jump ahead to bigger goals and I know I will only disappoint myself if I make things too big.

PS-My Malfunction Indicator light came on in my car today...gotta see if its something dad can fix, but if not I made a apt with the car place for tomr. Figures, three years without a problem is about right.

Good choices.

Sorry, I mean't my new goal was 319, my mind was off in lala land, that I don't like numbers, haha.

PS- Here is a recipe that sounds yummy and easy.

Chicken Empanadas

ChickenEmpanadas_n_lg.jpgmain meals

POINTS® Value: 4

Servings: 12

Preparation Time: 25 min

Cooking Time: 60 min

Level of Difficulty: Difficult

The dough’s lovingly made from scratch and well-worth the effort. But you can also just make the filling for tacos or burritos, or buy store-bought dough.*

Ingredients

1 spray(s) olive oil cooking spray

2 tsp olive oil

1 large garlic clove(s), minced

1 tsp ground cumin

1/4 tsp ground oregano

1/2 tsp table salt

1 1/2 cup(s) onion(s), finely chopped

1 cup(s) tomato(es), chopped

1 tsp unpacked brown sugar

1 pound(s) uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast 1/4 cup(s) canned chicken broth 6 large olive(s), thinly sliced 1 1/2 cup(s) frozen green peas, thawed

Dough

2 cup(s) all-purpose flour

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp table salt

1/4 cup(s) lard, cold

1/2 cup(s) buttermilk, cold Instructions

• To make filling, coat a very large skillet with cooking spray; add oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add garlic, cumin, oregano and salt; stir until garlic is fragrant, about 30 to 45 seconds. (Do not allow garlic to burn.) Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until they turn translucent, about 7 to 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and sugar; cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes more.
  • Push vegetables to side of skillet and add chicken; brown chicken on each side, about 3 minutes total. Pour in broth; cover and cook for 10 minutes. Flip chicken; cover skillet and cook for 10 minutes more.
  • Remove chicken from skillet; shred with a fork. Add chicken back to skillet and stir in olives and peas; warm through, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
  • Preheat oven to 400ºF.
  • To make crust, in a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut lard into flour with a pastry cutter, knife or fork until pea-size lumps form. Make a well in middle of dough and add buttermilk. Work dough until it just comes together (dough should still look lumpy).
  • Form dough into a large ball or patty; divide into 12 small balls. Place each ball on a floured surface and roll into a 4-inch circle. Top each circle with a heaping tablespoon of filling; wet edges of circles with water and fold in half to form empanadas. Place empanadas on an ungreased cookie sheet; crimp edges with tines of a fork. Bake until golden, about 15 to 20 minutes. Yields 1 empanada per serving.

Notes

• *Could affect POINTS values.
    Make a big batch of these empanadas and freeze them for a fast meal; reheat in the oven or toaster oven.
    Serve these empanadas with red or green chili sauce, or salsa — the hotter the better. They can be made with ground beef or beans, too (could affect POINTS values).

Brooke, it took me 20 minutes to get her down. Since I tried laying down with her, she tried the "lets do anything but sleep" mentality saying "Kimmy, let me cover you up...Kimmy, let me get you a pillow.....Kimmy scratch my back....I want the tv on....I want to watch cartoons". She ususally falls asleep at night, watching a movie, so I turned on the tv for cartoons. I kept checking on her through the cracked door and saw she was sitting up so I told her I was going to turn it off if I found her sitting up again. Caught her a 2nd time and turned the tv off and got stern with her telling her repeatedly to close her eyes while rubbing her back. FINALLY she fell asleep after 20 minutes from attempting a nap, lol!

Brooke, just stay on track with your exercising. Every little bit helps!!!

Jess, we all have our 'weak' days, just get back on track tomorrow! Hopefully you'll be able to get to the gym today so you won't feel so quilty about it.

Annette, the Diet Coke cake is: any cake mix you want and instead of using eggs and oil, use 1 can of room temp. Diet Coke (or any flavor you'd like actually). Mix the cake mix with the Diet coke as usual, bake as usual and you have virtually a fat-free cake. I can't deal with the mess of cake mix from scratch. I found this on a weight-loss forum I was a part of and tried it out. I have actually found that the Diet Coke makes it more moist! You should try it out!

I do not do yoga and haven't really gotten into wanting to try it, lol! I don't think it's right for anyone to make comments about other peoples weight. I've really noticed that the older my grandmother gets, the bolder she gets what with comes out of her mouth.:eek:

Brooke- I'd count it as a lb in my head too. I think your doing great!

Thank you girls for all the encouragement!

I wanted to go to the gym tonight but I told my mom I'd go to bingo with her. I do go too the gym tomorrow morning though..but I can't go tomorrow night cause I have to babysit my niece. Ugg now I'm torn, should I work out or go to Bingo?

Annette to answer your 1st question: I think encouraging comments or words are good choices but not comments that put someone down.

Positive reinforcement should always be used...not negative.

I've never tried Yoga BTW.

Kim: I agree with you about grandmothers..both my grandparents are like that too!!

Edited by Jesscap5

Annette,

I agree with Jess. You can't kill a kids self esteem like that. My mom always took me away from the table when I was mis-behaving to talk to me, unless I was just being really horrible. i think the same goes for weight issues. You have to make it fun and enjoyable otherwise they are going to resent you and "diets" "healthy eating" in general.

I don't do Yoga. With my back problems and high weight its nearly impossible for me to do most of the poses, even though I have tried before.

Kim, Wow, at least you got her to sleep. 20 mins isn't bad for her age. My friends twins usually just drop to the floor where ever and go to sleep, they are 2.

BTW, do you know the nutrition on the diet coke cake? I'm not how to do the points on that. Maybe Kimmer would know.

Brooke-.8 is def a lb in my book. I would probably count anything less as a lb. LOL Is your next goal for this week or for this month? Richard is always saying that he wants to go on Biggest Loser but I told him no way because He is 90% cut up and 10% crazy but he does have a short fuse and I could see him leaving all his religion right there in that gym on one of the trainers. :eek: Told him we wasn't going to let the whole world be talking about that really crazy guy on tv. LOL He likes to send photos of his "angry face" to any boy my daughter is talking to. In all honest he gets mad fast and over it fast. I'm just the opposite it takes a lot for a person to push me over the edge but once I'm over most likely I won't be getting back up on it. Good luck with the car and have a fab vacation.

Jess- I don't think there is a right or wrong answer on your plans for tonight. On one hand I know they say that you have to make time for your health. But on the other hand with having to see my mom 2 times in a 6 month period not sure if she was going to live or die then I would say spend all the quality time you can with your Mom. If I was just concerned with your weight lose I would def say to go with the gym but I think all of us on here know that there are some more important things then weight loss. I hate being torn in what I want to do myself. Just make sure you have a great time no matter what you do.

Thanks everybody for the answers to my questions. It drives me nuts to see people do that to there kids (ps brooke I have a daughter that is hyperactive and I never thought to take her out of the room for discipline unless we are with people other then family did your Mom do the same thing like in front of your family that you saw on an almost daily basis?)

A member of my husbands family has said many times in front of their kids that they are worried about all the weight they were gaining and has said to my husband a lot about how much they were gaining. Now I don't think they meant it in a ugly or hurtful way but still it leaves a scar. I have already told my husband if someone says something to my kids I would say something. I just think it is wrong. I never tell my oldest daughter she was a mistake thats another one that bothers me. Kids are not a mistake the parent may have made a mistake but it wasn't the kid. Even when I talk to my daughter about "boys" I think before I speak because I don't ever want her to feel like she ruined my life or is i hadn't had her then my whole life would have turned out better. I hate it when someone asks me if you could go back and do it over would you. HELLO NO what kind of question is that. I haven't spoken to her father in years but I still will not say I would take it back. Something like that is not something you take back. We as humans do stupid stuff but the way I see it I got a beautiful blessing out of a mistake that I made. Sorry you can tell that is something I feel very strongly about. I will come off my soapbox now.

Yeah I am just glad that it is still dark outside when I am attempting Yoga because the neighbors would probably be standing outside laughing and pointing at me. I really miss Denise Austin's Fit and Lite show it had just a little bit that helped me with balance and I really am having issues with that now.

BTW how many siblings does everyone have? I am the youngest of 4. They were all born 3 years apart and then I was like 6 years later. 1 brother and 2 sisters I tell them that my purpose in life was to be here to help them lol

Wow this one is another long one. The odd thing is that in person I am very quiet and introverted.

My siblings and I never had a weight problem so to speak, it was when we got married, lol! Even now, when we're all out, we all try to make healthy decisions, but if someone picks something bad, we don't gasp and say "I can't believe you're gonna eat that!" I don't even say anything really. It's their choice of what they want to eat.

As far as kids acting up in public, I think it's only right to remove them and have a talk with them and NOT ignore them or spank them in public.

Brooke, I do not know, but the next time I make it, I will try and figure it out.

Annette, I'm the middle of 4. There are 3 girls and my brother who is the baby. He lives in Atlanta, GA, while everyone else lives here in Orlando, FL. My sisters and I are married, my youngest sister has the daughter, the only grandchild right now. My oldest sister is currently trying to conceive. My husband and I will be trying next Feb/March around our cruise.:D I'm really hoping her and I will be pregnant together at some point. It'll be a good bonding experience.

Annette, I'm the middle of 4. There are 3 girls and my brother who is the baby. He lives in Atlanta, GA, while everyone else lives here in Orlando, FL. My sisters and I are married, my youngest sister has the daughter, the only grandchild right now. My oldest sister is currently trying to conceive. My husband and I will be trying next Feb/March around our cruise.:D I'm really hoping her and I will be pregnant together at some point. It'll be a good bonding experience.

How neat. That the order I had 3 girls then a boy. Your brother only lives like 2-3 hours from where I live. I envy you for living in Orlando. I love DISNEY. I have been at least 20 times. I am really craving a roller coaster LOL I haven't been on one since 2007:(

I think it would be neat to be pregnant while your sister is. I was pregnant 2 times when my friend was and that was neat. Wow 1 grandchild is so long gone in our family. My oldest nephew is in his 3rd year of college and then my JC is the youngest (3). There are 6 girls and 6 boys.

Have a great night everyone. Btw if anyone knows of a completely sugarfree cake please let me know Natalie's birthday is Sat and she can't have any sugar. It is honestly like a drug to her. She hasn't had but like one cake in the last 3 years. I am thinking maybe just a sugarfree angel food cake , found some sugarfree strawberry pie filling that I can put on it after its sliced and then sugarfree cool whip on top. Does that sound like it would taste good to a 6 year old?

Mornin'

Hey girls. So, I did up eating just M & M's for lunch, lol. I will tell you and I know you know I'm being completely honest in saying that I have NEVER NOT had a "real" lunch. But I wasn't starving and I had a apple too. When I got home I had my 12 tortilla chips with ff sour cream and salsa.

We had breakfast for dinner. So I had about a egg 1/2 on a biscuit with precooked bacon. Another biscuit with butter. Then I had a fiber one bar later. I actually didn't get all my points in, but I was tired and figured 3.5 points was worth it.

This morning is shredded wheat cereal and a banana for snack. We are having a goodbye lunch for the lady that is leaving (the job I applied for, btw, haven't heard yet.), so we are going out to that local Italian restr. again. I know they have the grilled chicken and this time I guess that's all I will have since they have really don't have any "good" sides. Tonight will be soup b/c my friend is cooking it for us!

Annette,

I don't have a time frame for this one. Its just where I want to get to, but if I continue the way I've been going it will take about a month 1/2 at a 1lb a week, with no set backs.

I hate Jillian on Biggest Loser, I don't respond to yelling or degrading remarks at all, which comes from having a father with a temper (which I inherited), but like you I have to be pushed hard to lose my temper (unless I'm in the car, lol), but when I do it will be a force to be dealt with. I really wish I could push myself as much as they do on Biggest Loser, but I just can't when I don't have teams of medical people checking me everyday. I wouldn't have minded dropping 16lbs in a week like that girl did last night though.

My mom didn't mind disciplining me in front of family, but she was never one to dramatize the situation. My aunt's little girl is such a drama queen and they yell at here and discipline her in front of all of us and its just awkward and I think that is not fair to the people around you. I also think you shouldn't let them get away with it either. My mom's favorite thing to do was to take me to the bathroom at restrs. or out to the car. She did it all very calmly. Not that she is perfect. But as far as my weight. One time when i was in elementary school (she was in college) she made me carry 2 milk jugs full of water around the yard to simulate what the added weight would be like. I'm not sure at my age if I actually got it, but it wasn't in front of anyone.

I have one brother. He is 7 years older than I am. They have doggies until they can get through all the red tape of adoption and afford it too. But both my parents come from 4 children families.

Taking the car in, so leaving work after the lunch. Good thing I have some comp. time.

I'll see you guys Next week.

Have a great vacation Brooke! :D

I ended up going to Bingo..didn't win but it was a good night out with mom.

Yesterday wasn't a good eating day but I'm putting it behind me and moving full force ahead. I did have a talk with my personal trainer today so I feel good about that.

Went to the gym this morning 5:30, did some weights and walked on treadmill for 30 min at agood pace. Our trainer left early so she told one of the employees to make sure and do a "Sweat Test" on us at 6:320 (which is when we leave) I don't sweat a whole lot but it was there! lol

I brought a chicken salad wrap for lunch that my mom bought yesterday and nobody ate. I also have a carb and sugar control smoothie, an apple, a granola bar, sugar free pudding and I always have a mini bag of popcorn in my desk drawer just in case. Have to buy more water during lunch though and yes I buy bottles! I'm picky about my water. lol

I have to babysit my niece tonight..she's 10. So I will be home late but hopefully, maybe I will get to the gym again tomorrow morning.

Annette..are you ready for complicated?

I have 4 other siblings. 2 sisters age 31 and 32, 2 brothers age 34 and 34.

First brother Eric is from my moms first marriage

Disabled sister who is 31 Jennifer, is from my mom's second marriage

1 brother Scott from my dad's first marriage

another sister, Bethany is also from my dad's first marraige she's 32.

I am from my mom's current and 3rd husband. They have been together for 27 years now, I'm the only one between the two. My sister Jennifer and I still live at home.

I am ten years younger the my brothers...I'm 24.

I currently don't speak to Scott or Beth for..well that's another story entirely.

I have a total of nieces and newphews. I only see one niece out of all of them. :(

Anyways, gotta get back to work. Have a great hump day everyone!

Kim- I read you comment on the pic of Nat's rash but I keep forgetting to post back when on facebook but yes she is better. Her dr has her on Zyrtec because he thinks that it was ragweed and not the detergent. I didn't even know that was possible but now I think he was right. You will see that I am a little game obsessed. LOL

Brooke-Have a wonderful trip. Can't wait to here how it was.

Jess-I understand complicated family. LOL I have had the same guy become my brother-in-law 2 times because he married both of my sisters and they was not really a lot of space in between the 2. Thankfully he is out of the family:D Sisters still not very close but we can all get together again. Richard was the baby in his family for 15 years then got 2 sisters within 3 days. His mom and stepdad had twins on the 4th of April then his dad and stepmom had a girl on the 7th of April.

Sorry that you don't get to see all of your neices and nephews but sometimes family issues are the hardest one to deal with.

Everybody have a great day. I am trying to keep reminding myself that no matter what to not nibble while cooking or fixing the kids plate. Thats my main goal for today.

I meant to say I have 5 nieces and newphews. 1 from my brother that I talk to and he lives here with his wife and child.

The other sister lives about 30min away and has a boy and girl but I don't see any of them.

THe other brother lives in Alabama and he has two kids, I met my nephew once when he was a baby (like 6 years ago) and I didn't get the chance to meet my niece when he did come up a few years ago.

BTW My brother and his family came up recently just to see his mother and "real sister"...my dad's back is out..he has two herniated discs and even though my dad talks to them..and he told them he couldn't go over my sisters house because of his back..my brother said that he couldn't come because it was too long of a drive for the kids and they were tired and then he stayed a week and each day was a new excuse..and my dad hasn't see his son or grandkids in like 6 years and he was staying at my sisters house which was only about 30 min away max. :(

That's not WHY we don't speak but that didn't help. I don't think things will ever be right but what family is perfect? It all started when I was a baby and not even born with there mother and only gotten worse as the years went by.

I love them no matter what and will wish them and the kids the best in life but I will never forget, nor go out of my way for them because I know how they are and they honestly do not care. Their loss, not mine.

The thing I always think about is that even though I think the situation is really bad, I tell myself that there are other families who have worse situations.

A lady I know once told me that her father used to come into her and her sisters bedroom at night, nightly and do bad things. When her sister turned 17 she got pregnant and it was by her own father. :( The born child is a lot older now and to this day, does not know who her real father is.

So as I said, my situation in my family sucks, but I am thankful that we don't have a situation like hers. :(

Edited by Jesscap5

Annette, yeah, as of right now she's the only grandchild. My older sister is 28, I'm 25, my younger sister is 23 and my brother is 21. My mother had complications with me, but luckily I survived being born at 24 weeks. Then when I was 4 months old and still in ICU, my mother found out she was pregnant again. LOL! They had told her after me and having so much complications, she wouldn't be able to get pregnant again, well she proved them wrong, twice!

My prematurity has lead to many surgeries in my life time. I haven't had any problems since my last surgery when I was 12 until now. I wouldn't say anything horrible and bad is going on, just a lot of wheezing while I workout, but I just push through it. I'm now wondering though if my airway is too small (since it was rebuilt when I was very young) and/or why I'm wheezing. I'm going to get a 2nd opinion with a different pulmonist since I didn't care for the first one.