Has anyone brought a small fan?

I have actually done this several years ago. It was one of the ones intended to clip onto my office cubicle. We clipped it onto the back of the desk chair so it blew across the bed while we slept. It was in my checked luggage.

Yes, glad to see I'm not the only one that likes some air moving on those Caribbean routes. I found a small fan at Walmart called O2 Cool. It is about 8 inches square by 2 inches thick and can run on both cord or rechargeble batteries, so you can charge it during the day and then it will run several hours at night without a long cord. Yes, I packed it to fly in checked.

we did one time, put it in the checked luggage. mind you we did not fly into port...but the baggage handlers manhandled the luggage and by the time i got it, it was broken! :( So next time i think I'll put it in my carryon!

we did one time, put it in the checked luggage. mind you we did not fly into port...but the baggage handlers manhandled the luggage and by the time i got it, it was broken! :( So next time i think I'll put it in my carryon!

Then make sure it is a battery powered fan. Our electric fan (a small one, 8 inch diameter) was confiscated by security whe we had it in our carry on. They did give us a claim check and we picked it up when we were leaving the cruise terminal, it was with the confiscated irons, booze and toys that looked like weapons.

I would love to bring a small fan to keep the air circulating (and the noise). I haven't seen in writing that they are not allowable.

I brought a flameless candle through the airports last fall, and evidently the mechanism inside it triggered their interests on the x-ray. Tore through my whole carry-on bag to find it. But, they did finally let me take it once they saw what it was.

I bring a small battery operated fan, approximately 6"X6". I believe I bought it at CVS. I bring it onboard the aircraft in my carry-on and have not had issue with security. We use it to get rid of the steam in the bathroom after showers. Works very well.

My DH has to have the noise and air to sleep also. We brought a small, plastic fan (plug in type) a few cruises ago on the Monarch and they tagged it. We had to go get it out of the suitcase it was in and they held it for the duration of the cruise. Got it back at the end, but we still have no idea why they said it was a security risk. DH hasn't wanted to attempt it since so I dont' know if they would still take it or not. I find it ironic that all of my many hair items that generate extreme heat are ok, but the small, travel fan was not. Go figure. It may have been a slow day in security that cruise. :rolleyes:

I wonder why they would confiscate a fan. I can understand an iron, for example, but why a fan? I ask because I have nursed the idea of bringing a small fan too. I always sleep with a fan going and I do really miss the fan's breeze on a ship.

I would love to bring a small fan to keep the air circulating (and the noise). I haven't seen in writing that they are not allowable.

I brought a flameless candle through the airports last fall, and evidently the mechanism inside it triggered their interests on the x-ray. Tore through my whole carry-on bag to find it. But, they did finally let me take it once they saw what it was.

I have no idea, perhaps we ran into the only two security people who objected to fans onboard???? Many times I've read of people bringing fans onboard, so go figure. If I were to take a fan along again, I'd pack it into my checked bag, wrapped to protect it.

I can't imagine why they confiscated that fan. This is what drives me CRAZY about all these security check points. Everyone has their own rules!! Grrrr. I carried on a white noise machine, which is round and a good 8 inches across. It's like if you put three portable CD players from 1990 on top of each other. It's NOT tiny. Anyway, I carried that on, along with the electric cord. No problem on the Majesty or my flight.

It's MUCH louder than a fan so if you're using a fan to block out noise, I find this works better, and I can sleep with it right next to my head.

We just brought a small-ish fan (plug in, electric) on Enchantment a few weeks ago. My husband can't sleep without the white noise and I like the air circulation.

It was packed in my checked luggage. Not sure if there was a correlation, but my husband got his bags around 4pm and mine didn't arrive until around 8pm on that first night.

I have three fans blowing on me as I am typing this. I can't sleep without one (or three! :))! On our long 2 week vacation to Hawaii, we absolutely couldn't fit the travel fan, so we bought a box fan while we were in Honolulu and left it in the hotel room at the end of our stay. THAT'S how desperate we are to sleep with one on at night!

We usually only travel with carry on luggage. I've always had my bag pulled at the airport to look at my "suspicious" fan. On our last cruise, it went through with no problems.

One thing I did note was that each time the cabin steward cleaned the room, he unplugged it. Maybe this is a fire hazard or something, so we got into the habit of unplugging it ourselves.

We also cannot sleep without a fan. we bought a plastic fan in the camping department..probably 8X6. It uses batteries and can be plugged in. At night, we use our ac/dc adapter from our Ipod speakers for the fan...at least we don't have to pack another cord. :D

Hallelujah! I’m not the only one with “fan” issues. I have them everywhere in the house and take one with me when I go. I take a small oscillating one and a extension cord. I’ve never had them taken from me. Most cruise ships will provide one for you if you ask.

Archived