restaurant recommendations

gmadvm

Any suggestions for a good restaurant for dinner? We will be at Le Meridien for one night. Dinner would be right after the sound and light show. Should we just have dinner at the hotel or are there nice places nearby? Don't know if we should totally rule out going back to Cairo for dinner somewhere due to traffic. We are starting the day in Giza, then to Cairo for the museum and the bazaar, then back to Giza for sound and light show. Don't know if it makes much sense to go back to Cairo for dinner, only to turn around and come back towards Giza to the hotel. I don't know the distances, but have only read horror stories about traffic. Is traffic less of an issue in the evening or is it all day chaos.

I did a similar itinerary (Giza pyramids and Sphinx a.m., Egyptian museum and bazaar in the p.m., then back to Giza for Sound and Light).

TRUST ME! :eek: I doubt that you will have the energy to do much more than a quick and simple dinner and crawl to bed, LOL!

I (strongly) suggest you plan to find something (easy) at the hotel (even a sandwich) and save your energy. It might cost a few dollars more than going to a restaurant elsewhere... but I recommend staying at the hotel (I almost fell asleep in my dinner after all the sensory overload from all I had seen and done that day). :)

Hi

We are going in Nov. staying at Le Meridian. Guide says we can do both dinner cruise and light show. I am thinking since Hubby is fussy and doesn't eat lamb what the buffet would hold elsewise? I then thought maybe we should just do a felucca ride to see the city lights and just grab a quick supper in fast food or at the hotel. The light show is at 8:30, should we do the felucca ride before or after? I read your review it was amazing, you are a terrific writer i wish we were going to Luxor etc but we are on a cruise and only have 2 days. Someday we will go back and see the rest. the dinner cruise is from maximus, i forget whether you did that and whether you recommended it. The light show is the english version and he says it is 40 min. I don't know if the dinner cruise is in Giza or Cairo it is from the Marriott hotel he says drive quickly to dinner cruise that starts at 10:30 which i think is kind of late for us to have to get up next day early to continue the 2nd day of tour. I appreciate your feedback on whether to do the show and dinner or either or felucca and show. Thanks

If you can get in at Barry's restaraunt that night, you can watch the light show from there (enjoy dinner while watching the show). They have great food and they aren't that far from the hotel ( we stayed at Le Meridian) in 07. The have a fun little sheesha bar and we watched a lavish egyptian wedding in the lobby of the hotel. Have a wonderful time, we can't wait to go back! ~Bugs

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Doris -- would you share the information of the tour guide that you used for the 2 days in Egypt. I have a cruise planned for August and we are in Egypt for 2 days.

Thanks, Titina

Hi Titina,

We haven't gone yet..we are going in Nov..so maybe you can give me feedback when you get back.

We are using Ramses Tours for our 2 day overnight. They responded very quickly and have answered all of our questions..we don't want to go shopping except the bazaar and no carpet or paper tours. we have done that on other tours. They were very receptive to not pushing those on us as another company would not remove the government shopping.

Hope you have an amazing trip but August is going to be soooo hot.

Archived