should i be afraid of Carnival cruises?

johno95

My wife and I (44,50) have cruised on Celebrity, HAL, RCL, Princess, and one Norwegian. Our fav is Princess. We like entertainment and food. Ports are less important. We want to go on a Carnival because it is sailing from a nearby port that does not require any travel on air, rail, etc.

I have always been warned away from Carnival because (supposedly) the ships were loud, partying to all hours of the night, and lot of kids (as opposed to Celebrity).

I have read that there are long lines at the buffet. I have seen passengers coming off the ship at ports, and they seemed younger with kids.

I am annoyed by noisy kids (that run around) at times, but find that on many ships the kids are well behaved. We try to avoid summer times and vacations.

Any comments as to what Carnival ships are really like? :eek:

Thanks!

read these boards for awhile. You are on the Carnival CL tab, so you will see reviews of cruises with the pluses and minuses.

Read on............:D

Edited to add:

I've cruised both Carnival and Princess and found them to be about the same, but I think the food on Carnival is better.

Exception: pizza bistro on the Dawn Princess who made my personal pizza exactly to order............yum

You say that Princess is your favorite of all the lines that you've sailed on. Not only is Princess owned by Carnival Corp, but they are the most similar. Carnival's ships are a bit more Vegas-like in the decor, but the basic experience is comparable. So is the clientel that sails.

So if you're sailing when school is in session, you'll get about the same number of kids on Carnival as Princess. Beyond that, I think it depends on the itinerary (ie longer cruise = less kids).

I've cruised four different lines, including Carnival four times and Princess six times. I would say there are some minor similarities and more in the way of big differences between these two specific lines mentioned above. I prefer Princess for the overall experience (food, service, clientel, etc.). I prefer the Warm Melting Chocolate Cake on Carnival, but thats about all. It's hard to say what some people will like or what their preference will be, so just keep researching and maybe give it a try to see what you think.

My wife and I (44,50) have cruised on Celebrity, HAL, RCL, Princess, and one Norwegian. Our fav is Princess.

I always tell people to stay with what you are used too.

I have always been warned away from Carnival because (supposedly) the ships were loud, partying to all hours of the night, and lot of kids (as opposed to Celebrity).

Its a more livelier crowed, even the 70 year olds are having a blast.

I have read that there are long lines at the buffet. I have seen passengers coming off the ship at ports, and they seemed younger with kids.

We hardly use the buffet anymore, we found that eating in the dining room for each meal was just right, no lines and you are served. The menu is also different from what they serve up on Lido.

I am annoyed by noisy kids (that run around) at times, but find that on many ships the kids are well behaved. We try to avoid summer times and vacations.

This is something you can not do anything about but to sail on cruises that are 10 days or longer as there are less kids on longer cruises. Kids will be kids.

I find that there are more normal good fun people onboard Carnival, no stuck up, grumpy snobs walking around with sticks up their behind like on Celebrity and or other ships like that, totally different atmosphere. If you like quiet then stay with Celebrity or turn down your hearing aid. Onboard Carnival its a Holiday every day of the week.

Oh and yes, pass the Jelly.

Fred

Well, on my last cruise, about 50% of the passengers were over the age of 70 (or so it seemed at least). Younger people and kids were in short supply. Of course, that was in January so most kids were in school.

We expected lots of kids on our 5/17 and barely saw any! in our 7 days on board we saw: the little kids across the hall leaving for early dinner in tuxes on formal night, a few kids in the elevators (maybe 6 throughout the week), a small amount of kids in the main pool (maybe 2-3 at a time, one was annoying but his dad was worse), and a line of kids walking with people from daycamp (we could see them from the pool)

i dont know if there were just very few kids on our sailing or if they were just really under control, or if we just happened to miss them because we did late dining etc but who knows! we were happy :)

we thought the food was generally pretty good, but not sure if princess is the line that is heavy on seafood. carnival has plenty of seafood options but as someone who hates most seafood i was glad there were plenty of other things too. if you do sail carnival and are foodies i would be sure to try the supper club.

in the end, im sure you will hear both sides. if the sailing is convenient and affordable then why not --- try it and satisfy your curiosity. then you will know for next time. you never know until you try!

DH and I are in our 40's, no kids. We usually sail on Princess and occasionally Disney. We recently (5/24) got off of the Carnival Splendor, and we absolutely loved our cruise! :)

The ship and her crew were wonderful. The food was fantastic as were the shows. We cannot wait until we sail with Carnival again.

My wife and I (44,50) have cruised on Celebrity, HAL, RCL, Princess, and one Norwegian. Our fav is Princess. We like entertainment and food. Ports are less important. We want to go on a Carnival because it is sailing from a nearby port that does not require any travel on air, rail, etc.

Thanks!

I'm sorry but that really is a less than spectacular question. "Should I be afraid of Carnival". Think about it. You are posting it on a Carnival Thread. Carnival is the number 1 cruise line in the world. Now does that make it the best....NO. But it must mean a lot..ok most of the cruising crowd like it. So why post a question like you did? I'm not a super fan of Carnival but enjoy it greatly. I like RCCL also but please be a little more intellectual in your question. For example will I like it better than "insert cruise line here" then we could say I don't know that is really subjective. But people will give their opinons based upon their experiences. Sorry to be blunt and I don't want to attack but I'm a little fed up with questions like this. Please have a great cruise. I know I may be attacked by some as a "Carnival Cheerleader" and others as just rude for not understanding the OP feelings and question.

I'm sorry but that really is a less than spectacular question. "Should I be afraid of Carnival". Think about it. You are posting it on a Carnival Thread. Carnival is the number 1 cruise line in the world. Now does that make it the best....NO. But it must mean a lot..ok most of the cruising crowd like it. So why post a question like you did? I'm not a super fan of Carnival but enjoy it greatly. I like RCCL also but please be a little more intellectual in your question. For example will I like it better than "insert cruise line here" then we could say I don't know that is really subjective. But people will give their opinons based upon their experiences. Sorry to be blunt and I don't want to attack but I'm a little fed up with questions like this. Please have a great cruise. I know I may be attacked by some as a "Carnival Cheerleader" and others as just rude for not understanding the OP feelings and question.
You have to be kidding me? You are upset because the way the question was asked was not intellectual enough? You are sorry to be blunt and do not want to attack but you are going to be blunt and attack. You consider that intellectual? Why don't you try getting off your high horse and give some constructive comment.

I got a kick out of your word AFRAID. :)

Carnival was the first line I cruised on, and it instantly clicked. Don't confuse FUN with PARTAE. Yes, there are many activities going on that stimulates the pax base, but that's what makes the cruise most memorable. And you can participate, observe, or avoid it altogether. It's your choice.

We've never been able to experience this anywhere else.

Wow, did someone have a bad day, I don't understand how you can flame a person for the way they posted a question. That being said, I hate kids, don't like to see or hear them but they have never been a problem on any cruise I've been on. They are just like anyone on a cruise, they just want to have fun. Hope I posted this right.

gtouch, you make a very good point. I'm afraid most here will miss it though. I think it would be hard to say what anyone would prefer for their particular cruise, sometimes ya just gotta research, research, research and then give it a try if you still don't know.

Thanks!

Hey there! I love cruising Carnival (but that's the only line I've cruised, besides the little Norwegian Leeward :D)

I can tell you that I cruise during our spring break (I teach and that's the only time I can cruise). There are children, toddlers to teens, and they are - for the most part - very well behaved. Most of the children are in Camp Carnival or the teen club.

Carnival offers the adult only section aft which is a great break away from the Lido action.

There are many quiet spots on the ships as well as noisy ones. You choose - we always visit the Piano Bar and join in on the fun, but enjoy the quiet walks on the Lido deck to look at the stars. The shows are fantastic, the food is absolutely to die for, and it's a vacation!

Enjoy and don't sweat the small stuff. If you cruise looking for the "negative", then you will find it. If you cruise because you are on a much needed vacation, then you will have a wonderful time.

Lynn

I got a kick out of your word AFRAID. :)

Yes, I'm still trying to get over the choice of wording for the title. :confused:

I even checked the OP's stats to see...

So tempted to write...be afraid...be very afraid :eek:

but I jest..

suggestion, get over being afraid and do some real research.

Read all the reviews on the ships in your home port. Skip ones about school holiday periods. Princess has bad review during school holidays just like any line.

Make a list of what is important to you, you have a good start. The no kids, no lines in buffets..... And determine if there are options available on the ship you are interested in. General discussions about cruise lines won't get you the info you need to set your expectations.

I did the same thing recently for the Ecstacy out of Galveston. I read all the reviews on the Ecstacy review board and then searched Ecstacy here on the carnival board. After that I had only about 4 detailed questions, I posted those and got my answers - some answers where good news and some flat out stated that the ship did not have that particular feature. Point being I had the info to set expectations. That's the only way to have a chance not to be unpleasantly surprised.

I think that if you do your research the decision will be obvious. I'm guessing since you mention Princess as your fav vs. RCL which you have been on by your signature, that perphaps you are really sensitive to kids and Carnival may not be a match if RCL is not. If you like RCL, then you probably will be fine on Carnival. Only you will can be pretty sure after you do your research!

Home port cruising is GREAT!

Yes, I'm still trying to get over the choice of wording for the title. :confused:

I even checked the OP's stats to see...

So tempted to write...be afraid...be very afraid :eek:

but I jest..

Someone beat you to it. ;)

Be afraid ..... be very afraid.

To the OP: since you are posting this question on the Carnival board, and most of us here are big Carnival fans, I don't think you'll be surprised that the majority of us here will tell you that we love Carnival and invite you to take a Carnival cruise and find out for yourself.

Everything is subjective, so whether or not YOU will agree with most of us here that Carnival is great remains to be seen.

I would be willing to bet that most of the people that are telling you how awful Carnival is have never set foot on a Carnival ship.

Good luck, and happy cruising!

We sail on both and like both for different reasons. :) Sailed on the Emerald Princess in April and LOVED Cafe Caribe for dinner as we're more informal on vacation. My DH thinks that on the Carnival Conquest the Fish and Chips bar has the best Sea Food he's every had. Cabins on CCL are larger and the cost is usually lower. ;) IMHO a lot depends on the crew we've had good and bad on both. Same with the food just depends on who's at the station when you go. Like pizza on both lines been great at lunch time but later in the evening when you just want a quick bite to eat has been only OK, reason different cook. :( Same thing with kids find out when school vacations are in the area the ship sails out of. Yes it's different times! In the Gulf Coast the schools get a fall break in October, Spring break in March and are out in May. The East Coast Spring break in April and schools out in June. So research, research, research, ask questions and ignor the nasty folks remember we each have the right to our own thoughts. I think you'll have a great time just go with an open mind and prepare yourself for a Cruise that may be a little different than your use to, that's all!:D

We have never cruised on any other line. We took a Carnival cruise at spring break. While there were kids of all ages on board, we never found them running around being obnoxious. Camp Carnival takes care of the younger ones and the older ones also have their program.

We have not had issues with noisy drunks or disruptive behavior on board. The only obnoxious passengers we encountered were a group of seventeen pushy French-Canadians in an inside cabin across from us. Well, it seemed like there were that many. They pushed, shoved, smoked like chimneys and made obnoxious remarks about the Anglos. (I know just enough French to know the gist of their comments.) We also had a Russian mafia type make a scene in the showroom one night, but he and his wife were evicted at the next port call. I actually found both of these situations somewhat amusing.

The vast majority of passengers on all the cruise lines are pleasant people who are out to enjoy themselves, not get drunk and raise hell. I realize it only takes one or two to make a bad situation, but we have not encountered any issues of that nature.

I presume you are looking at the Pride which sails out of Baltimore. This class of ship is well liked by most cruisers. We will be on board on the August 21 cruise. Our primary reason for selecting this was price and the fact that we can easily drive to the port in less than six hours.

We enjoy the gaudy ambience of the Carnival ships. The food is very good. We generally do not find the buffet lines all that long, but we eat light breakfasts and usually a deli sandwich or a pizza at lunch. We always eat dinner in the dining room. The entertainment is usually very good to outstanding. We like the production shows. We have found some of the fly-in acts to be great, especially Marcus Anthony, whom we have seen on every one of our cruises.

I do not see anything to fear about Carnival. As information DW and I are 66 and do not feel overwhelmed with younger folk.

Doc

I am 54....hubby is 49. We love Carnival.

If you want to give them a try, I would suggest that you:

1. Ignore the decor.

2. Do only a 7 day or longer cruise....when school (college and secondary ) are in session.... the month of September or Mid January to Mid February should be perfect.

3. Preferably from a Florida port.

I have friends who have done Carnival, Princess, NCL, RCCL and Cunard..... and most of them agree that you can have just as good a cruise on Carnival....you just have to be very selective about the ship and timing....so it takes a little more work.

I am 54....hubby is 49. We love Carnival.

If you want to give them a try, I would suggest that you:

1. Ignore the decor.

2. Do only a 7 day or longer cruise....when school (college and secondary ) are in session.... the month of September or Mid January to Mid February should be perfect.

3. Preferably from a Florida port.

I have friends who have done Carnival, Princess, NCL, RCCL and Cunard..... and most of them agree that you can have just as good a cruise on Carnival....you just have to be very selective about the ship and timing....so it takes a little more work.

Perfect response~!

We too have sailed Celebrity, NCL, Princess.. Carnival is about timing..

:)

Archived