Mykonos at night, what to do

Our cruise is due to arrive in Mykonos at 7.00pm and depart at 1.00am on the 30th September. Is it worthwhile going ashore :confused: , if so what would there be to see. I don't even know if there would be light still at that time of year which would rule out a lot of photos. I am really disappointed :( as it seems we might miss out on seeing that island. I have read on other threads that it is the most cancelled port and I can accept that if the sea is rough but feel it is bad planning on behalf of MSC otherwise. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Misty

Our cruise is due to arrive in Mykonos at 7.00pm and depart at 1.00am on the 30th September. Is it worthwhile going ashore :confused: , if so what would there be to see. I don't even know if there would be light still at that time of year which would rule out a lot of photos. I am really disappointed :( as it seems we might miss out on seeing that island. I have read on other threads that it is the most cancelled port and I can accept that if the sea is rough but feel it is bad planning on behalf of MSC otherwise. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Misty

It will certainly be dark by that time, but given that Mykonos is in the Med it gets dark quite early year round.

It's also just about at the end of the season so places will be beginning to shut down. However, it should still be pretty active. Mykonos has a very active night-life scene - do a google search for 'mykonos nightlife' and you'll get a feel for what's happening. In fact the main problem is that 1am is if anything too early - the nightlife goes on all night....

But it would definitely be worth going ashore, even just to walk around the harbour & Little Venice waterfront areas, and explore the narrow paths of the old town. Maybe have a drink in Katerina's Bar, overlooking the sea in Little Venice.

If you want to get a flavour for what Mykonos looks like, here's a webcam site. (Note that it keeps Greek hours, of course, so you'll need to choose your time to look at it.)

Thank you so much for your help Tom, I did appreciate it. It is sad we will not see the island complete with windmills in daylight but them's the breaks I guess. I have looked at the web sites you suggested and they are really helpful. I will have another look at webcam when it is daytime over there. Coming from "down under" we have so much to learn and this is why I am such an avid traveller. I am curious why Mykonos is renowned for ships being unable to berth, is there a particularly reason why, is it rougher than the other ports? or is it to do with the pier capabilities.

Again thanks and enjoy your cruise in Sept., Misty

Mykonos actually has lots of nightlife for those that like the clubs. But for us, we would probably do window shopping in all the shops in Mykonos Town (the narrow streets are fun to walk and the shops are open late) and than we would grab a seat at one of the outdoor cafes on the harborr and just enjoy the atmosphere with a drink and possibly even dinner (we sometimes eat dinner off the ship).

Hank

Thanks Hank, we are not really nightclub people, glad to hear the shops are open late although if we only arrive at 7pm I guess it would be nearer 8 when we are ashore. I collect magnets from my world travels so hopefully I can get that at least as I would like one from every port. My grandchildren always make a bee line for the fridge to find the new ones, think I will need a bigger fridge soon. I have the impression the windmills are near the waterside, would they be visible from the ship as we depart the next morning so I can at least get a photo of them?. As they say we learn from experience and in future I will take more notice of the times we are in port before we commit to a cruise.

Cheers, Misty

Mykonos tends to be "missed" due to its position. It is quite windy usually, even under good circumstances. But the winds can be tricky and kick up the waves, making it very difficult to navigate to the port (or, if docking offshore, to launch tenders).

Some say the twisty streets in Mykonos are an effort by the inhabitants to circumvent the winds that sweep across the island.

Thanks in advance, Misty

My DW and I enjoyed the Musica last year. At Mykonos we had dinner on ship before going a shore and arrived in town about 9:30. Both the restaurants and most shops were open. We walked the narrow streets, my wife checking out the local goods in the shops. I wanted to try Oyzo and for my wife - Baklava for a late evening treat. We found both at the Restaurant Pelican located in Gumenio Square. Our waitress - a charming Greek lady - was concerned that my consumption of the Greek Oyzo would not be be to my liking. However, after discussion on how best to drink Oyzo, as she suggested with octopus or with ice, she was convinced Oyzo would meet my liking. The Oyzo was to my liking, however, it is a sipping drink. My wife said the Baklava was wonderful!! If there is a next time we would skip eating on ship and go to shore for a Greek meal at the Pelican. We returned to ship about midnight. Even with the short time available, I would encourage you to go ashore and get a taste of Mykonos.

DT

Regarding the windmill question, I do not think you would see them from the ship. They are located on the opposite side of town from the port area, and honestly are not overly impressive. If seeing them is a priority, you might want to simply walk over to the windmills while you are in town.

Hank

Thank you all so much for your well informed help, it has helped a lot. We will definitely go ashore (if possible) and get the feel of the place. I followed Tom's advise and had a look at webcam when it was daylight in Mykonos, I saw what you meant Hank about the windmills being on the other side of the island as they showed up on the camera. I thought they were something special but if not then they will make a different background in my photo as we depart. Again thank you all.

Cheers, Misty:D

Thanks for the info, always like to learn as much as I can about the places we visit. Unrelated though it is Cathy, please tell an ignorant Aussie where is the most beautiful place on earth at the base of Grand Tetons???.

Cheers, Misty

Archived