what time should be board our cruise ship?

homeinca

We are driving down from S.F. the day of our cruise (out of San Pedro). The drive should take about 6 hours, and we are thinking we should leave home around 5am allowing time for traffic, parking at the lot, etc. I know the ship starts boarding at 12n and departure is 6p, but what is the latest we should be on the ship by? We are new to cruising!

Assuming no stops or delays, you should get there at the perfect time! It's good to board early, since boarding day does count at the 1st day of your cruise..and hey--you've PAID for all of those days---use 'em!!!!!

We are driving down from S.F. the day of our cruise (out of San Pedro). The drive should take about 6 hours, and we are thinking we should leave home around 5am allowing time for traffic, parking at the lot, etc. I know the ship starts boarding at 12n and departure is 6p, but what is the latest we should be on the ship by? We are new to cruising!

Your timing should be about right, but we live in SF bay area and ALWAYS drive down the day before and stay in LA or SD, depending on where the ship leaves from. I'd be way to nervous about a serious road blockage or car trouble to go the same day, just my opinion.

Is there any way to leave the day before? I would be concerned with traffic, accidents, car breaking down and any of a number of other things that could delay you.

You must be in the terminal no later than 2 hours before the ship leaves, and you must be on the ship no later than 90 minutes before departure. So, you need to be at the terminal no later than 4pm.

If 4p is the cut-off, it could cut it close (in a bad situation). I looked into the Vagabond Inn which has a $120 park and cruise rate, and Doubletree which was about $180. Any other deals out there you know of?

First of all, have you ever driven to LA before? Just to LA proper it takes about 6 hours and San Pedro is nearly an hour past that.

Second, are you actually in SF or in the East Bay, Peninsula, Silicon Valley or Marin County? That will make a HUGE difference in your timing. If you're in Marin you need to tack on an additional hour.

If you're leaving at 5am remember that traffic starts streaming into SF at 5am (earlier if you were living in the Tracy or Antioch areas). You should hopefully be going against traffic, but if you are in SF you might have some.

Also, are you planning on driving down I-5? I STRONGLY recommend it. 101 takes too long. Are you planning on stopping at the rest stops? Once you get on 5 past the Altamont pass there will be 4 rest stops and if you have kids in the car they might want to use the facilities, so with each stop add 15 minutes. Don't drive faster than 80 on I-5. I used to make the trip regularly between LA and SF and the cops will give you 80, but past that you might find yourself with red lights in the rear view.

Having said that, I would probably leave at 4am for a couple of reasons. One, it gets you out of the main part of the Bay Area by 5am. Two, if you don't like to drive fast then you'll need to leave earlier. Three, you want to hit the Grapevine around 9am.

Oh, and here's another place where you need to watch your speed. The Grapevine is heavily patrolled by the CHP, so don't go more than 10 miles over the speed limit.

From the base of the Grapevine in the Central Valley to the base in Valencia it should take you about 45 minutes. From there to the I-5/495 split it should take you about 30 minutes. From 495 to San Pedro it should take about an hour as long as there's no traffic. With traffic it can take up to 2 hours.

I can tell you that from San Leandro where I'm originally from, driving between 65 and 75 miles an hour, it takes about 6 hours to reach the 5/495 split. That's including one 10 minute rest stop. Doing 80 I can do the trip without a rest stop in 5 hours.

So if you leave at 4am from SF proper, you should pull into San Pedro around 11am. 5am will bring you in around noon.

Oh, and if you want to eat along the drive, let me recommend stopping in Kettlemen City. It is midway along the drive and has a McDonalds and Burger King along with several gas stations. You can grab some drivethru and not cut into your drive time.

Anyway, have a lovely cruise. San Pedro has a huge uncovered parking lot and you shouldn't have any problems finding parking at 11-12.

And welcome to cruising!

Theresa

First of all, have you ever driven to LA before? Just to LA proper it takes about 6 hours and San Pedro is nearly an hour past that.

Second, are you actually in SF or in the East Bay, Peninsula, Silicon Valley or Marin County? That will make a HUGE difference in your timing. If you're in Marin you need to tack on an additional hour.

If you're leaving at 5am remember that traffic starts streaming into SF at 5am (earlier if you were living in the Tracy or Antioch areas). You should hopefully be going against traffic, but if you are in SF you might have some.

Also, are you planning on driving down I-5? I STRONGLY recommend it. 101 takes too long. Are you planning on stopping at the rest stops? Once you get on 5 past the Altamont pass there will be 4 rest stops and if you have kids in the car they might want to use the facilities, so with each stop add 15 minutes. Don't drive faster than 80 on I-5. I used to make the trip regularly between LA and SF and the cops will give you 80, but past that you might find yourself with red lights in the rear view.

Having said that, I would probably leave at 4am for a couple of reasons. One, it gets you out of the main part of the Bay Area by 5am. Two, if you don't like to drive fast then you'll need to leave earlier. Three, you want to hit the Grapevine around 9am.

Oh, and here's another place where you need to watch your speed. The Grapevine is heavily patrolled by the CHP, so don't go more than 10 miles over the speed limit.

From the base of the Grapevine in the Central Valley to the base in Valencia it should take you about 45 minutes. From there to the I-5/495 split it should take you about 30 minutes. From 495 to San Pedro it should take about an hour as long as there's no traffic. With traffic it can take up to 2 hours.

I can tell you that from San Leandro where I'm originally from, driving between 65 and 75 miles an hour, it takes about 6 hours to reach the 5/495 split. That's including one 10 minute rest stop. Doing 80 I can do the trip without a rest stop in 5 hours.

So if you leave at 4am from SF proper, you should pull into San Pedro around 11am. 5am will bring you in around noon.

Oh, and if you want to eat along the drive, let me recommend stopping in Kettlemen City. It is midway along the drive and has a McDonalds and Burger King along with several gas stations. You can grab some drivethru and not cut into your drive time.

Anyway, have a lovely cruise. San Pedro has a huge uncovered parking lot and you shouldn't have any problems finding parking at 11-12.

And welcome to cruising!

Theresa

Isn't it 405 to 110 to get to San pedro? On topic though I would stay overnight.

Cheers

Howie

Isn't it 405 to 110 to get to San pedro? On topic though I would stay overnight.

Cheers

Howie

D'oh! Yes, the 405!

And I also agree with you. Overnight is still the preferred way to go.

• 2 weeks later...
If 4p is the cut-off, it could cut it close (in a bad situation). I looked into the Vagabond Inn which has a $120 park and cruise rate, and Doubletree which was about $180. Any other deals out there you know of?

120 is REALLY good for SF. My grandparents used this for a cruise a few years back.As a place to sleep, and cruise from it was fine. I think coming in the day before is better, even if you arrive late. I have famiily down south, and it vares widly how long it takes to et there and back. I know during the holidays, we have arrived at family events late, totally stressed out. Can't see going through that for a cruise!!

Archived