Boxed wine corkage fee???

Oh, I believe you. What i do not believe is why this is an issue.

What is the difference in the following scenarios?

a) bad guy puts bad stuff in bladder and puts inside wine box

b) bad guy puts just bladder in his bag without box

First one is okay. Second one is now a security risk??

And of course, I won't get into the issue of a bad guy wrapping a bladder around his body and just walking through.

I hear ya.. and what you say makes sense. I'm warning against having a bladder of anything without any indentification.. ie., wine bladder, or rumrunner. ;)

Also try the Co-op; we use "Fab Cab Californian Sauvignan for the Co-op" all the time -around £14.-jocap.

I hate the Co-op because it seems like because I don't wear a velour track suit and big hoop earrings with a baby in a stoller I get followed by security every time.

It's worth the extra money to go to Marks and not get harassed.

I hate the Co-op because it seems like because I don't wear a velour track suit and big hoop earrings with a baby in a stoller I get followed by security every time.

It's worth the extra money to go to Marks and not get harassed.

Just be grateful you live near enough to a Marks!-jocap.

I never understand when people suggested taking it out of the box. Sounds silly to me.

As to security risk, first I ever heard of that, but I suppose anything is possible these days. If it was something "bad", the bad stuff could just as easy be in the "box". yes? Of course, that would require the rent a cops to use logic. LOL

My guess is that by taking the bladder out of the box, it is much less likely to be detected. The box will show a rectangular outline on the xray and also will displace all the clothing around it in a neat, obvious rectangle. The bladder will not show a strong shape on the x-ray.

Another benefit is that the bladder will fit in the mini fridge whereas the box will not.

Just as a s side note, we were on carnival in Jan and took two bottles of wine with us- it is allowed but you have to pay corkage. We carried them on and no one looked in our bags or commented so we thought we had got a way without paying the corkage fee.

On our bill at the end there were to $10.00 fee's added for corkage on the days we had thrown the bottle out in our cabin trash. I guess the stewards pay a lot of attention to what you throw away on carnival.

It was no big deal for us as we had intended to pay when we boarded but I was a little concerned that our stewards had obviously gone through our trash and recorded what we had thrown away!

And I would add we ALWAYS put a bottle in each of our checked luggage when we've cruised Princess and Celebrity..but we usually bring them to dinner and pay corkage UNLESS we have it on our balcony. The reason we bring our own wine is we are wine snobs and prefer our cellar to any of the cruise lines cellars.

And if you're looking for Powers or Tefft check Costco in CDN or US. cruise on! Donna

I was just wondering if the corkage fee also applies to boxed wine. :D

Also has anybody had any success in bringing boxed wine on the ship through your luggage. I recently heard a rumor that it is undetectable on security x-ray machines.

Thanks!

-Dan

Again, not going to read all the replys. My answer is that we have twice brought it on in our carry on and declared it, out in the open. The rest is up to the security. Let your conscious be your guide. It's been so long, I forgot how to spell the word. Ugh oh!

We brought vodka in rumrunner in ziploc bag. Rumrunner leaked, vodka was in ziploc bag and we went to naughty room. They do detect liquid on some...

And, someone above said you have to pay corkage on CCL. I thought you could bring two bottles of wine per person at embarkation with no service fee. Is this no longer true?

Just as a s side note, we were on carnival in Jan and took two bottles of wine with us- it is allowed but you have to pay corkage. We carried them on and no one looked in our bags or commented so we thought we had got a way without paying the corkage fee.

On our bill at the end there were to $10.00 fee's added for corkage on the days we had thrown the bottle out in our cabin trash. I guess the stewards pay a lot of attention to what you throw away on carnival.

It was no big deal for us as we had intended to pay when we boarded but I was a little concerned that our stewards had obviously gone through our trash and recorded what we had thrown away!

I've read this type of post from other CCL cruisers. I've cruised and like Carnival, so I'm no way slamming their practices, but NCL stewards are not at all interested in what you bring (or smuggle) for that matter.

In fact, I've read where obvious smuggler's have left their rumrunner's laying around the cabin, and their steward(s) makes sure to find out what they would like in way of bar ware.

I know that I'd be a little ticked-off to find that charge one my onboard account. Not because it's not warranted, but because it was done without my knowledge.. Kind of like they enjoyed getting that over on me.

Could cause my attitude towards them to change.

We brought vodka in rumrunner in ziploc bag. Rumrunner leaked, vodka was in ziploc bag and we went to naughty room. They do detect liquid on some...

And, someone above said you have to pay corkage on CCL. I thought you could bring two bottles of wine per person at embarkation with no service fee. Is this no longer true?

Celebrity allows a bottle of wine per person.

Where would I find boxed wine near the port in Canada?

I'm assuming that you're embarking from Vancouver at the Canada Place Cruise terminal?

If so, there is a government liquor store about 2 - 3 blocks away at 555 Hastings Street (it will have 'boxed wine' and a fairly good selection of other wines). St. Regis Fine Wines (private store) is at Dunsmuir and Granville. My favourite though is Marquis Wine Cellars (very large selection including the high end stuff). Its on Davie near Burrard is about 10 -12 blocks from the terminal. Be prepared though that the cost of wines in Canada is much higher than you might be accustomed to. The same stuff that you see in the Costco stateside for $4-8 (USD), will likely set you back $12 - 15 (CDN). The prices at the private wine stores are usually (but not necessarily) about $1 more per bottle than at a Provincial government liquor store.

If you're ship is at Ballantyne Pier - well all bets are off. You'd need a cab to get you out of the industrial area.

P.

I've read this type of post from other CCL cruisers. I've cruised and like Carnival, so I'm no way slamming their practices, but NCL stewards are not at all interested in what you bring (or smuggle) for that matter.

In fact, I've read where obvious smuggler's have left their rumrunner's laying around the cabin, and their steward(s) makes sure to find out what they would like in way of bar ware.

I know that I'd be a little ticked-off to find that charge one my onboard account. Not because it's not warranted, but because it was done without my knowledge.. Kind of like they enjoyed getting that over on me.

Could cause my attitude towards them to change.

We often bring extra wine on board, some of which gets corkage charged and some of which does not. Its never been an issue with room stewards. As you say, our only experience has been that the room stewards will usually ensure we have clean stemware.

BTW, since deciding to supplement the ship's stores with our own selections (we still end up buying a fair bit of wine shipboard), the effectiveness of port personal has been pretty random. Of 25 (good old fashioned glass bottles of the 750 ml variety) over 3 NCL cruises:

9 bottles in suitcases at embarkation - not called to naughty room

7 bottles in carry-ons at embarkation - not located by staff

2 bottles in carry-ons at embarkation - located and declared, but sent on our way without paying corkage or getting the little sticker

3 bottles in carry-ons at embarkation - located and declared with stickers affixed but not charged corkage (expected to see it on final bill, but it never showed up)

2 bottles in carry-ons at embarkation - located, acknowledged and corkage paid

2 bottles purchased mid-cruise brought on in carry-ons - not located (these latter two were a nice bottle of chianti from our stop in Florence and a bottle of Madeira from a stop in Funchal - would have gladly set them aside for the end of the cruise since they were gifts, but they weren't located).

Remember folks, this was all done in the name of scientific research.

P.

Ok. If I bring my own wine in my carry on bag where do I go or who do I tell to get the corkage fee added to my account.

If the bottle is identified by the security personnel (not a given as you can see from my previous post), you will be asked to head over to a little table in the area beyond. "Yes of course I have [insert # here] bottles of wine. I like wine." You'll then be directed to another table where a member of the ship's bar staff will get you to sign a chit acknowledging the corkage charge.

In vino veritas,

P.

Archived