Are the speciality resturants worth it?

stanjj111

My dining experience in Mille's Olympic topped anything I've ever experienced anywhere. That's not saying anything against the food or service in the dining room which has always been excellent. Well, worth the price.

After eating some 20 plus times in the Normandie on the Summit, I consider it well worth the charge. I will go back and back again. The food and service rates at the top of even the best in cities all over the world.

John

The Olympic on Millennium was incredible in all aspects: food, service and atmosphere. My only complaint was that we didn't go there until late in the cruise and couldn't do it again. Well worth the $50 we spent on it and the $90 we spent on wine and champagne. The service was so good that I think I even cash tipped the som and waiter on top of the seating charge.

Other cruise lines charge less for their dining in the speciality resturants. Is the price worth it compared to the food in the dining room?

Just got back from the Constellation and 'yes' we did have dinner there in the specialty restaurant - The Ocean Liner.......that was the second time we dined there (we dined there previously two years ago).

If you compare just the food and nothing else, perhaps there is not a huge difference, especially between some entrees.

The Steak Diane that I had there previously was not much better than a steak in the main dining room.

The 'special' that they offered there this time and that I have chosen it this time was basicaly the same tenderloin of beef as in the main dinning room.

Some of the soups and appetizers are different and are very good.......but if you go just for the food .......it is not worth it.

But there is so much more than just the food.........there is the elegance of a nice restaurant, a completely different atmosphere, very beautiful dishes and silverware, very good service .........all of this in combination with the food makes it worth the $30.00 p/p fee which covers all of the tips for all of the people that serve you ( they are actually receiving a good salary from the fee being paid to Celebrity - the only waiters, assistant waiters, head waiters that are on salary in the Celebrity Cruise Line).

The dinning experience is worth the money for those that appreciate this elegant dinner........and it is not worth it if all of the above do not mean much to you.

In addition comparing the Constalletion's Ocean liner with Millennium's Olympic: the Olympic and its dinning experience that I did have is much more superior and a lot more elegant......based on my dinning in both (yours experience might be different).

Wes

I agree - try it. An evening in any of the M ship's specialty restaurants is a very, very special experience. Private, 5 star & away from the maddening crowd. You won't regret it - - - and if for some reason you don't find it fabulous it has not cost you anything significant.

Other cruise lines charge less for their dining in the speciality resturants. Is the price worth it compared to the food in the dining room?

Hi Stanj !

Absoultely it is worth it. I would say that a similar dining experience in NYC would run you about $ 200 - 500 for 2 people in a very fine restaurant. It is an incredible experience, and the food is outstanding.

Try it one time. You will be hooked like the rest of us. Highly Recommended !

Regards,

Andy

Hi Stanj !

Absoultely it is worth it. I would say that a similar dining experience in NYC would run you about $ 200 - 500 for 2 people in a very fine restaurant. It is an incredible experience, and the food is outstanding.

Try it one time. You will be hooked like the rest of us. Highly Recommended !

Regards,

Andy

You have to take what you have already paid (let's figure 30 PP) and then figure out what you are getting for the extra 30 PP. For two, thats a total of 120. The speciality restaraunts are good and we would go back once during a cruise, but keep in mind the price.

We may be spoiled. An evening for two at one of the best resturants in Central Ohio (The Refectory) cost only 175 after tips and tax (and included several glasses of wine).

Hi Stan,

We have dined in the speciality restaurants on board the Millennium, Constellation and the Summit, and all three were excellent. The food is outstanding, but the "table side" service is what makes the experience so special. We give the Normandie restaurant, on the Summit, a little edge over the others because the menu is a little different. They replace the steak Diane with Chateaubriand, and have a special dessert called "Bombe Surprise du S,S. Normandie", which was served on the Normandie from 1935--1938.

The $30 covers all the added gratuities for the six or seven people that will be serving you. Very European; like an up scale restaurant in Paris, they add a service charge to reward the staff. We always leave an envelope, with a little extra cash, if the experience merits. (Very American).

PS-going to try the Pinnacle, on the Volendam, twice during our New Year's cruise.

Enjoy!

Kel:D

Does anybody know how much the specialty restaurant costs on the Summit. I have heard $30PP while others have said $50pp.

Thanks for any assistance.

I was on Summit last week. As of last week, it was $ 30.00 PP.

I sure hope they arent planning on raising it again. Not that I would be shocked by that. Let's hope the 50.00 pp was just some misinformation.

Regards,

Andy

Last week we were on the Constellation and went to Oceanliners two times. The first time was on the second night of the cruise. The Steak Diane was good, but the service was totally awesome. We went again on the fifth night. The steak was filet mignon with truffle sauce. It was excellent, but the service was not as good. The second night the restaurant had fewer people and the maitre'd explained everything beautifully. The second time we went, the restaurant was quite crowded (It was the night of the Masquerade Ball) and even though the couple with us that night hadn't been there before, no one really explained the procedures. I did ask the Maitre'd to explain to the new guests how things worked there, and he graciously did so. I feel the cost of $30 per person is certainly worth the experience of dining in such a wonderful restaurant with great ambience. By the way, I asked for chocolate souffle for dessert, and they made it for us. It was superb as was the goat cheese souffle. Just thinking about being there makes my mouth water.

We're planning on having dinner in the Olympic restaurant next Oct. We're Captain's Club members, and I've heard that we can make reservations before we sail. Do we call the Captain's club phone number to make reservations? Also, how far ahead should we do that?

Anne

Hi Anne,

Call or email, include booking number, cabin number, names of people,date and time for desired reservation and also another time as a second choice, captain's club membership number. You will get a response with a reservation number. Once on board there will be a card in your cabin confirming your reservation. Day before the dinner an invitation will show up. Charge will be added to your account after the dinner. If for some reason you changed your mind notify them at least 24 hours in advance. I have the menu if you are interested or can provide a link. They just started to add another entree as a special that will vary from sailing to sailing. Olympic is very lovely.

Enjoy it........we did.

Here it is:

captain's club contact information

Monday - Friday

Saturday - Sunday

U.S. & Canada

Outside U.S. & Canada

Fax

09:00 am - 11:00 pm EST

10:00 am - 8:00 pm EST

1-800-760-0654

+ 1-316-554-5961

+ 1-305-373-4384

CaptainsClub@Celebrity.com

Presailing Specialty Restaurant Reservations

If you’re booking a cruise on one of the Millennium-class ships—Constellation, Infinity, Millennium and Summit—you can make dinner reservations within 3 to 60 days in advance of your sailing for one of the Specialty Restaurants. These unique dining venues are recreations of the very restaurants on board famous ocean liners of the past. To make arrangements, please call the Captain’s Club. The per guest cover charge (which includes gratuities) will be automatically added to your onboard account. Guests must be 12-years of age or older. Proper attire is required.

Wes

The second night the restaurant had fewer people and the maitre'd explained everything beautifully. The second time we went, the restaurant was quite crowded (It was the night of the Masquerade Ball) and even though the couple with us that night hadn't been there before, no one really explained the procedures.

Is there something different about the service there as opposed to, say, a "fine dining" restaurant on shore? What sort of "procedures" are explained?

:) -dave

I thought the food & the service in the Normandie was the BEST on board Summit in Feb. REALLY missed it in November on Mercury--they had no specialty restaurant! Will try to book the M class ships whenever we can, we love them!

The procedures that were explained were that one would order one appetizer, soup or salad, rather than an appetizer, soup and salad. (Should you desire a 2nd item, you could order it, but the food is quite rich, so normally only one item is ordered.) There are also a few surprises from the chef, and when your order is placed, dessert is also ordered. Most desserts on the menu take time to be prepared, so they are ordered when the appetizer etc is ordered. I feel the ordering process is a bit different from an upscale restaurant off the ship. The service is also orchestrated so that everyone at the table gets their food at the exact same time and all plates are removed at the exact same time. It was truly a marvelous experience. I felt the waiters etc. were there only for us. We were made to feel soooooooooo important. We will go again when we go on the Constellation again next November.

The procedures that were explained were that one would order one appetizer, soup or salad, rather than an appetizer, soup and salad. (Should you desire a 2nd item, you could order it, but the food is quite rich, so normally only one item is ordered.) There are also a few surprises from the chef, and when your order is placed, dessert is also ordered.

So it's essentially a three course meal? Hardly the grand dining experience I've been lead to believe, then. And I'm not sure I like the wait staff telling me which courses I may/should order. As to the serving/removing "all at once" - what happens if the people have chosen a different number of courses?

From the descriptions, this seems much more 'contrived' than the experience on other ships (my upcoming QAlaska cruise wil lbe my first on Celebrity)

So it's essentially a three course meal? Hardly the grand dining experience I've been lead to believe, then. And I'm not sure I like the wait staff telling me which courses I may/should order. As to the serving/removing "all at once" - what happens if the people have chosen a different number of courses?

From the descriptions, this seems much more 'contrived' than the experience on other ships (my upcoming QAlaska cruise wil lbe my first on Celebrity)

dakrewser,

They list it as four course meal, however, my wife had six courses and I had five. We are talking rich, high quality food here, so you will not go away hungry.

On the Summit, my wife ordered Souffle au Fromage de Chevre (Cheese souffle); Gratinee Normande (onion soup + cream); Salade Cesar; Chateaubriand; Cheese course; Souffle au Chocolat; In addtion, the chef sends out a special appetizer of the day and Les Desserts Gourmands Preferes de Michel Roux (special bite size desserts). My wife is 5'9" and 124 lbs, I almost had to carry her out of the restaurant:D ! The specialty restaurants of the Millennium class ships of Celebrity are the best restaurants at sea!!

The $30 covers the service charge for the six, or seven, people who will serve you during the meal. You don't want to miss this experience.

Enjoy!

Kel

I will never book in the specialty restaurant. I believe eventually the food in the dining room will be downgraded, making "specialty" dining (for an additional fee, of course) the only way to receive "fine dinning" on a cruise. What you have then, folks, is a class-based cruise line, where you have to pay for the best food.

No thanks.

Archived