Theft in cabin - input needed

Bounce

I'd like some help with a problem we experienced on our last cruise - Ruby Princess Med cruise. I don't take expensive jewelry when I travel but have a pair of stud diamond earrings that I wear everyday. They were to one day go to my granddaughter and I planned to tell her the story of the places the "earrings visited".

Before going to dinner one evening (we do the traditional dinner) I took the diamond earrings out, put them in my jewelry pouch and put on the earrings I would wear to dinner. I locked the pouch of jewelry in my safe.

Four hours later, I came back to the room and, because the next day's tour would start at 7:15 a.m. I prepared what I would take and wear. When I unlocked the safe to get my earrings, they were GONE.

My husband and I went to the ship's desk immediately, security was called and the room searched. Nothing was found.

Has anyone ever experienced this before? By the way, I was very stupid on the selection of my safe code ~sigh~. I'm pretty upset. This was our 7th cruise and we have traveled extensively. Nothing like this has ever happened before.

I am 99% certain I put the earrings in the pouch and locked it in the safe .... but there is that slim chance I didn't put the earrings in the pouch. It is pretty much a ritual with me - even at home.

My heart is broken ..... has anyone ever experienced this? I do plan to file a report but would very much like some advice.

Thank you.

Oh, I'm so sorry. Even though the earrings are only things (and probably insured), it feels awful to have them stolen.

I would file a report with the cruiseline, and if you don't get any satisfaction, with your insurance company.

I once left a $10 bill in a drawer (in a book, under some other things) and it was stolen on a cruise. It made me unhappy to be suspicious of the staff, a feeling I didn't like at all.

There are lots of nooks and crannies and edges in those safes where very small items like that could have gotten lodged. I'm sure you very very carefully checked through all of that?

I'm sorry this happened to you. I've never had anything stolen from either a cabin or hotel/motel when travelling. You must be very upset.

I am sorry to hear of your loss. I have some jewelery with sentimental value and would feel awful if I lost any of it.

We travel alot and I alway use the safe, and have never had any problems. I always remove the liner on the bottom of the safe and run my fingers around the edge to make sure that something small hasn't fallen underneath.

I hope that you are able to resovle this matter with the cruiseline.

I just wanted to say how sorry I am that this happened to you. I know on our recent cruise on Royal Caribbean's Voyager of the Seas the Purser had to open someone else's safe to retrieve their passports, credit cards and money so kicking yourself for choosing a not-so-great code has nothing to do with it.

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of the "sentimental" earrings! Were they the only things in the safe? Or were they the only things missing from an assortment of jewelry?

Personally, if it had been ME who'd done what you did, I'd be suspicious that I'd set the earrings someplace else than in the pouch/safe. I'd definitely ask the cruiseline to re-check the cabin.... if this had happened to me, I'm pretty sure the earrings never made it into the safe.

Again, I'm really sorry this happened. It is rough when you lose something that means a lot! (and not trying to negate the "theft" possibility -- just offer another suggestion based on my experience with "losing' stuff)

This awful experience is one big reason why I never take anything with me of real value, sentimental or otherwise. I'd feel dreadful if I lost it...or if indeed it got stolen. I have a lot of jewelry that may be expensive but doesn't have any value to me other than monetary, that gets packed when I travel.

Sorry to hear of your loss. I had a pair of diamond studs stolen (not on a cruise) some years ago in a hotel in Seattle. Many people believe that if you have "bad or negative thoughts" they will attract "negative energy or bad things" into your life. In my case, just days before, I had been discussing with a friend that if someone wanted to steal something that if they only took ONE item (instead of the entire jewelry pouch) they might get away with it, b/c you might not realize it until later, since all the other items were there. So then we go to Seattle and THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED!!! And no, my friend was not there, so she can't be responsible.:p

All the same I was heartbroken, so I know how you feel.

I had no luck with the hotel on finding them or a reimbursement, etc

(guess that theory is right??)

Sorry to hear about your lost earrings. I hope they checked the vacume cleaner the room steward used.

I am very careful with my things at home, and honestly thought I also was onboard ships, that is until I found my diamond studs under the desk one night when I dropped something. Thankfully I saw them before the room steward cleaned, or I am sure they would have been swept up in the vacume. :( I too was 99% sure I had put them away, but must have sat them on the desk and 'intended' to put them up, but forgot.

But I have yet to have anything stolen in over 35 cruises. And I too have forgotten to lock the safe a couple of times with a lot of cash in there. :eek: Never a penny missing when I realized I had left it open.

In 32 years of travel all over the world by land, sea, train and car, I've never had anything stolen.

I've well over 250 cruises and nothing ever missing from anywhere; vanity, safe, bathroom, closet.......I've left things out like jewelry, laptop, camera's and other valuable items...and they've never, ever been touched.

Luckily I have never had a theft problem on the ship. Sorry to hear that the OP had this negative experience. While aboard one ship, I forgot the code I used to open the safe. I called security and they sent someone up fairly quickly. He had the master code to open the safe and reset it so that I could enter a new code. There were forms to sign, etc. of course. Point is though that security has the ability to open the safes in all the staterooms. Sometimes this ability can leak out to others.

Moral: No safe is totally secure and no locked door is unlockable.

Don't give up hope. DH had something go missing on a cruise. He was sure he put it in the safe. The item turned up months later here at home. He had stuck it in a pocket of a bag. It didn't surface until we were getting ready for another trip.

On our last cruise with my DGD, she was looking for her Ipod and she stuck her hand in the crack of the sofa where the back and seat meet. She pulled out a $20 card for the arcade, a very pretty gold bracelet and a sea pass from a previous guest. We turned in the bracelet and sea pass and purser told DGD to go ahead and keep the arcade card since they had no was of knowing who the owner was or how long it had been there. The arcade card had never been used. We felt bad that people had probably looked high and low for these things. (her I pod was in the night table, right where she'd left it).

Sorry for your loss. Again as other posters have stated, I have left the safe wide open with thousands in my wife's jewelery and cash along with meds and nothing was ever missing. Lucky for us. Unfortunately it only takes one rotten apple to spoil it. Wishing you better luck in the future.

To the OP, was the pouch gone as well? I thought that my alexandrite studds were gone when I left them in a small jewlery pouch in my safe on one cruise, I checked the pouch and everywhere else. later after I got home I found they had somehow worked there way into the LINING of the pouch. another time I found the pouch itself in the pocket of a jacket.

Don't give up hope. DH had something go missing on a cruise. He was sure he put it in the safe. The item turned up months later here at home. He had stuck it in a pocket of a bag. It didn't surface until we were getting ready for another trip.

Oh my gosh! That has happened to us a couple of times. Once it was my DH's cell phone charger. No biggie as we have the same model and he can use mine. We were sure we'd checked every little nook and cranny of our suitcases, carryon, and my tote. Nothing. Then, about 3 months later we were getting ready to visit our DD. I dragged out the carryon and discovered his charger, which had worked it's way under the lining and next to the "ribs" of bag. It's so small, that we missed it. The second time (and this was far worse for me), I couldn't find a pair of earrings. They weren't valuable, but were important to me. Two months later, I was switching purses and discovered that I had, for reasons unknown even by me, tucked them into the corner of one of the inner zipped pockets. I've no memory of putting them there and have no clue why.

Bounce:

I am so sorry for your loss. I know you can make an insurance claim and replace your lovely diamonds, but they won't "mean" the same thing. I'm even more distressed to hear that you had a theft occur right from your safe. That's so unusual and puts a damper not just on your cruise, but also on how you feel about cruise crew. It's sad to have to consider that you can't trust the people who help us make our vacations so lovely.

I can only suggest that you write to the cruise line and let them know exactly what happened. It won't make your earrings magically reappear, but it will let the cruise line know that there is a potential problem.

I wish you the best.

beachchick

When I discovered the earrings were not in the pouch, my husband and I searched the entire room even running our hands over the rug. I could not believe someone would take anything .... like the rest of you, this has never happened to me before and I have also left cameras/money in the room. Security came next and even pulled the bed apart. The vacuum was checked .... everything.

The disappearance was not 4 days later - it was 4 hours later. I've unpacked everything - all clothes have been laundered - no earrings. Unfortunately, I know they were stolen. I wish I had just misplaced them .... but I believe someone took them.

I just thought someone might have had the same experience and could advise. Before this happened to me, I would not have thought it possible. But - it is not the end of the world ~sigh~ and surely is a lesson learned.

Archived