Country Club Elegance

sweetestpea

Hi luxury cruisers!

I've only been on 2 cruises (see below) and have my third planned. All of those are with my family (mom-who treats, brother, sil, nephew) but this time I'm looking into a different cruise experience with my boyfriend and he's never been on one (a litte hesitant) and I really want to make the right choice. I have a meeting planned with a TA but always appreciate this forum. While I've planned luxury land trips, the luxury cruising experience is new to me.

We really want a relaxing but elegant cruise sans the stuffiness-Country Club elegance. I'm mid 30's he is mid 40's and we enjoy the CC lifestyle and are active. We play tennis, golf and he has a sailboat and we enjoy sailing. We want great food & accomodations. We live in Chicago and enjoy the culinary scene here as well as New York and frequent top Michelin rated restaurants/James Beard, etc. Having said that, we dress up a lot at home (charity events, opera, social engagements, etc.) and are wanting something more casual when we get away (this time anyway). Is it possible to find a line that will suit us for this trip? We like traditional settings and are Madras clad, Nantucket loving prepsters with gin & tonics (or Pimm's) in hand. If that helps. ;) Great food, accomodations in a casual elegant setting sums it up.

Thanks for any advice!

One thing to remember that on lines like Seabourn or Silversea even on formal nights there are alternative restaurants where you can dress more casually. These restaurants are every bit as good if not better, smaller and more intimate and provide the ability to dress as you like. Also one other nice option on formal nights is to have your dinner served course by course in your suite while you dress in a robe. Can't get more casual than that.

Also, as noted many of the luxury lines in the evening provide some standard items each night such as fish (many times salmon), a red meat and a poultry item.

On luxury lines that we have cruised, Crystal and Seabourn, most times you can make adjustments to the item in the way it is prepared. This might be to request an item to be broiled or asking for no sauce on the item or asking for other side items in lieu of what is offered or asking for changes to sauces or what is in items such as salads. My wife and I try to eat very healthy and are able to adjust most items to our liking. At the same time, if you give 24 hours notice you can get just about any item prepared if the ingredients are on the ship.

We have found the staff to be very accomodating. This is part of the luxury experience found on these types of cruise lines.

Keith

Not to add confusion to the issue (even though I am) Crystal and Seabourn are known for their "formal" dress on many nights. Regent has mostly CCC (Country Club Casual). This isn't only a difference of opinion -- check out the boards for the individual cruise lines.

Travelcat2,

Known by who? Seabourn is making a concerted effort to go less formal. On my upcoming maiden voyage on the Odyssey of 14 days there are only two formal nights (black tie SUGGESTED) and on those nights you can dine in one of the alternate restaurants in just jacket with no tie. The rest of the evenings will be informal with many just CCC. People have been perpetuating these ideas for too long.

Wripro. as usual very well said. I know that on our Seabourn sailings that it felt very much like being on a country club with only 200 passengers on board. By the time our cruise ended we knew just about every passenger. And the new ship will only have a max of 450 passengers. On the 200 passenger ships we would walk into the lounge and after the first couple of days the bartender would smile as we entered and make the drinks that each of us enjoyed. And we would sit there and chat with our fellow passengers as we would do at a country club. As you say, there are alternatives on the formal nights. And, the additional option is to have dinner served course by course in your room which many people do once or more on the cruise.

On Crystal the number of formal nights are based on the length of the cruise but also on the itinerary. On many eleven day cruises there are now 2 formal nights. One option is to have dinner in ones stateroom and for those in a suite they can have the butler bring dinner course by course and they will bring dinner either from the main dining room, or from the specialty restaurants or from the room service menu. Yes, many folks like the formal nights but that is an option for those who do not prefer this.

Keith

I think all the luxury cruise lines are recognizing that in order to attract a younger demographic they will have to move away from rigid dress codes. Young people just do not want to pack tuxedos for a vacation. That is why there are fewer formal nights than there used to be and more alternatives for those nights. Personally, I don't mind putting on a tuxedo and it's no more trouble to pack than a suit. Plus it really is special to see the dining room all lit up with candles and tables beautifully set. However, if they did away with it entirely it certainly would not keep me away.

Thank you so much everyone for the great comments! I still have some research to do but I want to keep an open mind regarding the formal evenings. The suggestions regarding the optional restaurants/in room dining were are great! I don't know why I didn't think of that! :confused: That really does open things up! I'm liking SeaDream, Seabourn and Silversea so far but it's early. I know for sure I will one day try Regent because the Paul Gauguin has been on my bucket list for sometime! Although, this won't be our itinerary for this trip. I guess I will have to try all the lines to see what I/we like best! :D

Also, thank you for keeping an open mind regarding the dress code issue and not leaving snarky (putting it nicely) comments. On some of the boards they go at you for not wanting to "dress up". Trust me, my casual wear is more formal than some people I've seen dressed as "formal". I'm a big stickler for following dress codes and respect others so I would never think of pushing the boundaries. We LOVE formal attire but are just looking to take a break!

Thanks again!

Travelcat2,

Known by who? Seabourn is making a concerted effort to go less formal. On my upcoming maiden voyage on the Odyssey of 14 days there are only two formal nights (black tie SUGGESTED) and on those nights you can dine in one of the alternate restaurants in just jacket with no tie. The rest of the evenings will be informal with many just CCC. People have been perpetuating these ideas for too long.

This is the impression everyone I have spoken to has. It is also the impression I receive when going onto the Seabourn website (although I do not know where dress codes for specific cruises exist). I receive emails from Seabourn regularly -- perhaps they should make more of a concerted effort to share the information that they are going less formal.

Regarding your other post, I find it interesting that you feel that luxury cruise lines are trying to attract a younger demographic. Some of the reasoning given for the new luxury ships being built is the aging of the "Baby Boomers" who are now at the age where they can afford the time and money to cruise.

It's nice that some young people can afford luxury cruising -- unfortunately, many cannot. It's just my opinion, but, I see things progressing pretty much the way they have in the past. Cruising on single oriented cruiselines -- then with children on children-oriented cruiselines, etc.

In terms of packing a tux, at least 50% of Regent passengers have already decided not to do that (of course, airline regulations helped that decision along).

Last (finally), you mentioned that on Seabourn on formal nights, if you do not wish to wear a tux or tie, you can dine in an alternative restaurant. I'd like to see those who choose to wear a tux dine in an alternative restaurant;)

This is the impression everyone I have spoken to has. It is also the impression I receive when going onto the Seabourn website (although I do not know where dress codes for specific cruises exist). I receive emails from Seabourn regularly -- perhaps they should make more of a concerted effort to share the information that they are going less formal.

Regarding your other post, I find it interesting that you feel that luxury cruise lines are trying to attract a younger demographic. Some of the reasoning given for the new luxury ships being built is the aging of the "Baby Boomers" who are now at the age where they can afford the time and money to cruise.

It's nice that some young people can afford luxury cruising -- unfortunately, many cannot. It's just my opinion, but, I see things progressing pretty much the way they have in the past. Cruising on single oriented cruiselines -- then with children on children-oriented cruiselines, etc.

In terms of packing a tux, at least 50% of Regent passengers have already decided not to do that (of course, airline regulations helped that decision along).

Last (finally), you mentioned that on Seabourn on formal nights, if you do not wish to wear a tux or tie, you can dine in an alternative restaurant. I'd like to see those who choose to wear a tux dine in an alternative restaurant;)

Try taking a Sebourn Cruise at some point.

In the end, you'll be able to judge it through your own eyes rather than others.

They even have three types of dress depending on which evening.

What I've learned is that take 100 people and show them anything and you will get some vast differences of opinion.

We have met so many wonderful folks on our Seabourn Cruises and they were not stuffy and they had a wonderful outlook on life. And it was a wonderful atmostphere on the ship.

Keith

Try taking a Sebourn Cruise at some point.

In the end, you'll be able to judge it through your own eyes rather than others.

They even have three types of dress depending on which evening.

What I've learned is that take 100 people and show them anything and you will get some vast differences of opinion.

We have met so many wonderful folks on our Seabourn Cruises and they were not stuffy and they had a wonderful outlook on life. And it was a wonderful atmostphere on the ship.

Keith

It wasn't the dress code on Seabourn that kept us away all of this time -- it was the ships (lack of balconies, age of ships). With a new ship this year and one next year, it's looking more positive:)

P.S. After your nice explanation about seeing Seabourn with my own eyes, I went to the Seabourn board. Apparently this was not a good day to do that. It seems like everyone is requesting or responding to referrals. This is something I would expect on Carnival -- not Seabourn. Regent has referral programs as well -- but they are true referrals, not from someone you have never met. Sorry -- just had to comment!

TravelCat2, I'm glad that you may give Seabourn a spin.

Oh, I wouldn't worry about the referrals. For some reason there have been numerous threads on this of late. Anyways, there is a good book the Millionaire Next Door. Those who are good about saving money when they can also have the good fortune of having a good deal of wealth.

Keith

Travelcat2,

One way to see that Seabourn is less formal than it used to be is to look at its brochures. A few years ago there would always be photos of couples in the dining room dressed in tuxedos and formal dresses. Now you no longer see that. And there is a reason. They don't want people to think they have to dress that way.

And one way to see that Seabourn is going after a younger demographic is by the number of 7 day cruises they are scheduling, especially this summer on the new Odyssey. Seven day cruises appeal too younger people since they are still working and don't have the time for longer cruises. Regent is doing the same thing as are most of the luxury lines.

The fact is one can make a cruise as formal or informal as one wants with all the options available today. And your fellow passengers on Seabourn are friendly, warm, open and anything but formal.

wripro as usual you are correct. I guess we are both very fortunate to have cruised on Seabourn to have seen first hand what a nice line it is.

What I have learned from my crusing and other travel experiences is not to pre-judge until I have experienced it myself.

One of the best parts of our experience on Seaborn has been the warmth of the fellow passengers and the wonderful atmosphere we have experienced. Everyone from the crew to the passengers were great. And the atmosphere on the ships were wonderful.

One of the most special parts of the cruise is just sitting and talking with the fellow passengers whether in the restaurant or the club or in some other venue. In fact, in many ways that is a big part of the entertainment. It is just a very nice and relaxed atmosphere.

Keith

Keith,

As usual, I agree with you completely. I don't understand why people need to pigeonhole cruise lines. There are enough alternatives today on each of the luxury lines to keep most people happy. But somehow many become personally offended. I call this the "don't criticize my cruise line or grandchildren" syndrome because I will react with fury either way.

Seabourn, Silversea, Crystal, Regent, Sea Dream......these are all wonderful options. Let's celebrate the differences and revel in the choices available to us.

Archived