Staying at Country Inn, Elizabeth, NJ and Suites 06/11/09

shaggyofwv

*Make that Staying at Country Inn and Suites, Elizabeth, NJ on 06/10/09. The ship leaves on 06/11/09.*

We are on the 9 night cruise on Explorer out of Bayonne next week and I have some questions.

We are staying at the Country Inn and Suites in Elizabeth, NJ and will utilize their stay and cruise package.

We want to go to NYC after our cruise returns on Saturday June 20th. My plan is to go back to the hotel and put our luggage in our car.

I was thinking about using the hotel's free shuttle to EWR and catching the PATH into Manhattan. How close is Newark-Penn Station to EWR?

Also, once in Manhattan, would it be better to walk around or to do the HoHo?

Also, we plan on getting back to the hotel in the same way, by using the PATH back to Newark-Penn Station and taking the Hotel's shuttle back to the hotel.

Thanks in advance.

*Make that Staying at Country Inn and Suites, Elizabeth, NJ on 06/10/09. The ship leaves on 06/11/09.*

We are on the 9 night cruise on Explorer out of Bayonne next week and I have some questions.

We are staying at the Country Inn and Suites in Elizabeth, NJ and will utilize their stay and cruise package.

We want to go to NYC after our cruise returns on Saturday June 20th. My plan is to go back to the hotel and put our luggage in our car.

I was thinking about using the hotel's free shuttle to EWR and catching the PATH into Manhattan. How close is Newark-Penn Station to EWR?

Also, once in Manhattan, would it be better to walk around or to do the HoHo?

Also, we plan on getting back to the hotel in the same way, by using the PATH back to Newark-Penn Station and taking the Hotel's shuttle back to the hotel.

Thanks in advance.

Don't go back to EWR. Drive your car to Newark Penn Station. PATH leaves from there, NOT the airport. Or even drive your car to Journal Square, Jersey City. Another PATH station with $12.00 per day parking. If you have any luggage that will be visible inside the car, I would go to Journal Square with their secure, inside parking.

I think you will find it much easier than trying to negotiate AirTrain to Newark Penn Station, then change to PATH.

^ Well, I would consider the above advice, and having said that we did exactly what you are contemplating. We stayed at that hotel (very nice, BTW - you will love the big free breakfast!), and took the hotel shuttle to the Airport, took the AirTrain, then took the train into NYC Penn Station (under Madison Square Garden). We walked around for hours, went to the Top of the Rock (30 Rockafeller Center), and basically played tourist. Then at around 4 pm, we did the whole thing in reverse. Yes, it was a long day and there was some waiting, but we were on vacation and had no timetable, really.

If you do this, I would advise you to not leave too early; you'll run into commuters who are working in the city. We left the hotel at around 9:30, after the morning rush. We got a seat on the train. :)

Have fun! NYC is a blast, and the cruise on Explorer was unforgettable. She is a magnificent ship.

I agree with Greatam. It will be a lot cheaper to drive your car to Newark Penn Station, Jersey City, or Harrison. See this link where parking for PATH is discussed. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=946845&highlight=harrison Parking would not be a problem on a Saturday. Taking the "free" hotel shuttle will actually cost you $7.75/pp each way just to get to Newark Penn Station on the train.

What are your plans in NY? If you are going to midtown, then you should consider NJ Transit from Newark Penn Station rather than PATH. The train would be $7 round trip as opposed to $3.50. However, it would be much faster. To go to midtown on Path on the weekend, you must change at Journal Square to the 33rd St. train, which goes to 33rd and 6th via Hoboken instead of directly to 33rd. If you are going to downtown Manhattan, then Path is the way to go.

If you are going to drive this area, please be sure to print out Mapquests even if you have a GPS in your car.

I don't know the exact location of this hotel, but would it be closer for the OP to just catch NJT at the Elizabeth station? If the hotel is close, I would assume the shuttle could drop people off there and save the drive to Newark.

IF the OP CANNOT get all luggage in the trunk, I sure wouldn't leave the car in any of the lots around Penn Station (you cannot park at the Hilton unless you are staying there or have a commuter pass-been there, done that). Not only the parking situation, but I sure wouldn't want to be walking to any of the lots around Newark Penn Station after 8:00PM. One reason I recommended Journal Square. Parking attached to PATH station and security all over the place.

I don't know the exact location of this hotel, but would it be closer for the OP to just catch NJT at the Elizabeth station? If the hotel is close, I would assume the shuttle could drop people off there and save the drive to Newark.

not all trains stop at the Elizabeth station and the hotel shuttle only goes to the airport

Thanks for all the advice/information, it is greatly appreciated.

As far as our plans for our NYC visit, we just wanted to spend around 6-8 hours taking in the major sites. I definitely want to go to Ground Zero, but other than going up in either the ESB or the "Rock", nothing is set in stone.

Neither my wife nor I have ever been to NYC, so that is why we were contemplating a guided tour.

Concerning the luggage in the car, at this point I am still not certain that we will be able to fit it all in the trunk of the car. I do not like to leave the car in an area where I would feel that it is unsafe, so the station with secure parking sounds like a big plus.

^ You know what we did? We had two days in NYC; the first day, we took a guided bus tour (coach bus, with washroom) - bought the tickets right in the hotel lobby! - and went to all the places one would expect. We did Ground Zero, Central Park, Statue of Liberty, and all around the main areas, stopping briefly in Greenwich Village for lunch on our own. It was great, really helped us get our bearings.

The next day, we went to NYC on our own as I described above; we got off the train at Penn Station and walked pretty much 20 blocks in all directions, maybe more! it was a beautiful sunny day and we had a blast. Went to top of the Rock (which I recommend over ESB - the views are unobstructed!), Macy's Department Store, Times Square, all that tourist stuff. It was wonderful. :)

Archived