What to do in port?

CruisinCadie

• 2 weeks later...

Excursions through the ship will likely include island tour, boat trips, dive trips, maybe shopping trip to Christiansted, Buck Island trip, maybe a walking tour in town, beach trips maybe to Cane Bay and/or Carambola.

In walking distance of the Frederiksted Dock is the town of Frederiksted which has some historical sites including a Fort - Fort Frederik. Its a quiet town, but there are a few restaurants and a few shops. Usually for days when ships are in port vendors set up close to the dock selling souvenirs and other things. There is a beach, Fort Frederik Beach, right next to the fort - both of which are a very short walk - more like a hop, skip and jump from the dock. There are other beaches very close by (some with restaurants/beach bars); like Sandcastle Beach, Rainbow Beach and Sprat Hall. There are a couple dive shops close by like http://www.n2theblue.com. For shopping, as mentioned there is some close to the dock. If you wanted more shopping then you'd need to head to Christiansted. There you could combine some sightseeing of the historical sites there including another Fort - Fort Christiansvearn which is part of the National Park. Try a St. Croix guide for some more information: http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oGkxxnBwNKpwgA63tXNyoA?p=st.+croix+virgin+islands+%2B+travel+information&fr=yfp-t-305&fr2=sb-top&sao=1.

--Islander

• 4 weeks later...

While planning our cruise, we didn't know what to do at St. Croix since there aren't too many posts in this forum.

This was our last stop and we wanted something different aside from a tour of the island.

Just returned from our cruise and had a great time with this company and would highly recommend them. It is within walking distance of where our ship docked. We did the land/sea package which includes ATVing, Jet Skiing, Kayaking and Snorkeling. We did not make it out to snorkel because we were so tired from the rest of our cruise.

If you are looking for something to do, check them out here: http://www.geckosislandadventures.com/

koos - I have been looking into Gecko, it seems to fit our bill pretty good.

Once you got to the beach portion - it was kinda freestyle, correct? Meaning you got a bracelet or something to ride the watertoys, but you could do them at anytime between eating or lounging on the beach...correct?

This is at Rainbow Beach I believe. Was it crowded or small? Were there any chairs or shade? How was the bar service / food?

Rainbow Beach is a small beach, nice, usually quiet but if there is an excursion there of course it won't be as quiet. Not really any natural shade, and never seen umbrellas for rent there unless its something new. There is a food/drink at the beachside restaurant.

--Islander

Sorry for responding so late, dna1990. That is correct, it is Rainbow Beach. Once you get there, you just speak to Dustin whenever you feel like going out to use the jetski, kayak or the snorkel gear.

When we were at Rainbow beach it wasn't too crowded. I didn't see any chairs and some people had umbrella's, but most did not. We weren't too sure where they got the umbrella's from.

Rhythms @ Rainbow Beach was I think under renovation while we were there. Here is their website to their menu http://www.liminatrainbowbeach.com/menu.php At the time we went, they were on a limited menu. We just ordered chips and salsa for $7. It took a while for the order to come and it was a little cold. The size of the order wasn't that big. We left the beach early to go back to the boat to have a proper meal.

If you want a lift back to the boat, you can either wait on the people who run the ATV tours to take you back. We opted to take a taxi back since there were lots stopping by every few minutes. It was $3 pp back to the ship. I know some of the taxi drivers tell you $4pp since a couple who was in our same taxi van were charged $4pp for the same ride back.

dna1990 will be anxious to hear your review.

I am going for the first time to this port.

I just nervous about the credit card and have to cancel

with in 48 hrs on a cruise you can't depend on that.

how did you pay?

For cruising, a 48 hour cancellation window is pretty long, I admit. We reserved with CC and then paid in cash. Well actually, I think one couple in our our group paid with CC.

Nice family though, I had no hesitations.

For cruising, a 48 hour cancellation window is pretty long, I admit. We reserved with CC and then paid in cash. Well actually, I think one couple in our our group paid with CC.

Nice family though, I had no hesitations.

I guess I just worry in case of weather or something you don't have control on and the port would be canciled by the ship.

A few other ideas:

St. Croix LEAP - if you like neat woodwork. It is pretty close to Fredericksted, but not within walking distance.

http://miner.islandstuff.com/location.php?location=stx_leap

St. George Botanical Garden - built around the ruins of a 200 year old plantation.

http://www.usvi.net/usvi/stxsi.html

Archived