ATM machines around the world. Here is how you can find one.

If you are interested in finding an ATM machine, here is a website that might be of help if you use VISA.

http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/global/

Just enter the country and city and a map will show you the locations. You can go further by 'next page' to find more in a different part of the city.

Does anyone know about similar sites for other cards or is this enough?

I strongly recommend NOT using your VISA or MasterCard to obtain cash, as the interest rates they charge are ridiculous. You should use a true debit card/ATM card -- even with a withdrawal charge, you will end up ahead.

I strongly recommend NOT using your VISA or MasterCard to obtain cash, as the interest rates they charge are ridiculous. You should use a true debit card/ATM card -- even with a withdrawal charge, you will end up ahead.

That is the whole point of showing where you can go to find an ATM machine.

Please, don't confuse the issue.

That is the whole point of showing where you can go to find an ATM machine.

Please, don't confuse the issue.

I'm sorry; let me be clearer. I think it is confusing to others because you say in your post "if you use VISA". I assume you meant a VISA-associated debit card, but others may assume you meant a VISA credit card. Hence, my comment.

I recently got a Visa Debit card linked to my Fidelity Investments account. They will reimburse any bank charges to use an ATM as long as it is a Visa, or Star machine. And they only charge a 1% foreign transaction fee.

Thanks for those two web sites about where to find an ATM machine. I think most of us have had the experience about "where do I go for an ATM machine".

Here is one for Citibank cards http://go.mappoint.net/citibankv2/Index.aspx

I don't think anyone who travels gets confused about using ATM versus using a credit card. I agree that to use a credit card for getting cash is not very smart, but than again, as you said, that is not the issue.

I recently got a Visa Debit card linked to my Fidelity Investments account. They will reimburse any bank charges to use an ATM as long as it is a Visa, or Star machine. And they only charge a 1% foreign transaction fee.

Just an FYI....Star network ATMs may not be as easy to locate as Plus and Cirrus. At least, that was my experience in Turkey (for a couple I was traveling with for several days) and in Germany (a colleague had a hard time finding a Star machine).

Thanks for those two web sites about where to find an ATM machine. I think most of us have had the experience about "where do I go for an ATM machine".

Here is one for Citibank cards http://go.mappoint.net/citibankv2/Index.aspx

I don't think anyone who travels gets confused about using ATM versus using a credit card. I agree that to use a credit card for getting cash is not very smart, but than again, as you said, that is not the issue.

You'd be surprised; several folks have posted here on other threads within the last month who didn't really understand the difference -- I assume they don't regularly use a debit card. My parents don't, for example.

You'd be surprised; several folks have posted here on other threads within the last month who didn't really understand the difference -- I assume they don't regularly use a debit card. My parents don't, for example.

Thanks for your comments Cruisemom42. I agree with you totally. Lots of people don't know the difference and the value of using a debit card instead of a credit card - my daughter for one unfortunately ! :confused:

Archived