Switching cabins once on board

PHreuD69

Sailing will be me, my wife and three children, ages 7 to 13. We booked two rooms (inside, next door to each other not adjoining). My son and I are booked in one, and my wife and daughters are in the other.

My question is, once on board, can we get the ship staff to switch keys so that our three kids are in one room while my wife and I are in the other? Any one have experience switching rooms like this. Obviously we had to have one adult per room to book.

Sailing will be me, my wife and three children, ages 7 to 13. We booked two rooms (inside, next door to each other not adjoining). My son and I are booked in one, and my wife and daughters are in the other.

My question is, once on board, can we get the ship staff to switch keys so that our three kids are in one room while my wife and I are in the other? Any one have experience switching rooms like this. Obviously we had to have one adult per room to book.

You *might* have a problem if you present the case as stated as children should technically have an adult in the room.

Ask for what you need only. Another copy of the key to your room for the wife and another copy of the girls room key for yourself and your son.

We were told our children/related can be booked next door or across the hall and the adult requirement is waived. Next June however DS and his girlfriend are going so we had to do some moving around just for booking sake. Our children are not 25 and are rooming next door to us officially booked as so. If you have already booked then just leave it as is and make the switch once on board :)

It is done all the time

I am booked the same way and the PVP said that they have to book that way however once on the ship they don't care (according to him). He said as soon as you get on the ship go to guest services you can switch who you want in a certain room and they will redo your sail and sign card to match. I hope it works that simply because I'm traveling with my 2 teenagers and they are both bringing a friend and we need to switch because I don't share a room with any of them. Just kidding but I do hope it goes smoothly.

We booked three rooms a couple of years back on the Triumph. One balcony, and two insides down the hall next to one another. The party consisted of DW, myself, and 4 children 17 - 23. We booked myself with one of the kids in one of the inside cabins, with two of the other kids in the room next door per policy. DW and another child were in the balcony.

Once on board we switched everything around with no problem with the kids all being down the hall and DW and I in the balcony.

I'm a bit confused though. You don't need to have an adult in each room if the kids are either directly across the hall or in a room next door. Does't matter if there's a door making them adjoining.

I think the OP said the rooms are next to one another, which makes them adjoining. If they have a connecting door, then they are considered connected rooms. The OP just used the wrong word for not connecting.

vicki

I just booked 2 cabins for myself, dh, and 3 kids. They put dh with the boys and me with dd. She said we could have the keys open both doors. She said just to tell them to do that when we checked in. So my card will open their room and vice versa. It will end up being dh, me, and dd in one room and they boys (ages 14 and 17) together. I am not even going to bother telling anyone expect the room steward so he/she doesn't put the bunk bed down. The PVP said that was fine.

When I was going to book with RCL last year the customer service rep unofficially told me that she'd recommend booking 2 of us in a suite and the other 4 in an interior then all sleeping in the suite to save $$. I told her I wasn't sure I'd want to do that, I didn't want any trouble. She laughed and said don't worry there aren't any cabin police. They don't care where you sleep once you are on board.

Carnival is the same way, they know you book things one way to get the rooms to go through or get a mutli room discount with past guest etc and then move around.

When you check into the ship, just tell them who will be sleeping where....they do NOT care! The "adult in a room" thing is for booking purposes only. They want to make sure adults are onboard with kids-----

Just do it when you checkin, that way, everyone gets the correct keys/accounts from the get-go!

Curious as to why you didn't book adjoining rooms in the first place? Some rooms aren't connected by a door, but are considered to be "adjoining".

David

Booked inside cabins on the Dream. No adjoining inside cabins.

I think the OP said the rooms are next to one another, which makes them adjoining. If they have a connecting door, then they are considered connected rooms. The OP just used the wrong word for not connecting.

vicki

I actually ran into trouble with syntax with my TA. I asked for "adjacent" cabins, and she said there are no "adjacent" inside cabins on the Dream. Every cabin is "adjacent" (next to) to at least one other cabin. Most, however, are not "adjoining" (connecting). There are, in fact, no adjoining inside cabins on the Dream. My original post said "next to each other, not adjoining", so I think my characterization of the issue was accurate.

Thanks for all for your responses. I think I can rest easy that we'll have not trouble switching our arrangements once on board.

No problem at all to do it. In fact you could have booked it that way, because they are your own kids and in an adjacent cabin.

Yep-you could get extra keys made at the pursers desk, but, you could just save yourself the hassle and call back and rearrange the booking so that all of the kids are booked into one room and mom and dad in the other.

As long as the rooms are either next door or directly across the hall, you don't need to book an adult into each room (as long as they are all your kids, not friends, nieces, nephews, etc).

Archived