cruising with non-related children?

arb711

I am planning a short cruise in a few weeks with the 2 children of a friend (15 and 10), Carnival 3-day to Ensenada.

I know that I will need a notarized letter from both parents stating that I have their permission to travel with their children -

When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

(from Carnival website)

What else should I bring? I know there's a specific form to allow someone to travel to another country - do I need that too, or is the travel authorization enough? Consent for medical care, should it be needed? I'd rather over-prepare, have more documents than necessary, than risk any problems. (It's their first cruise - I want them to have a blast!)

You need the notarized authorized letter from both parents and a consent form giving you permission to make emergency decisions for the children. Are you staying in the same cabin with the kids? Since they are not related to you, the kids cannot stay in their own cabin alone without an adult in the cabin with them. It's different for your own children, but non-related minors cannot be in a cabin by themselves.

I found some samples of forms online for permission to travel that included medical permission. Not sure where you are going but I'd take copies of their insurance information as well, phone numbers of doctor, dentist, orthadontist. I usually put it all on one piece of paper, just to have it all together. Not that authorities anywere need the orthadontist phone number. I fall into the "over-prepare" category.

Have a great trip - lucky kids!

We took our daughter's friend, and Crusinmama 06 helped us out with info, now I'd like to return the favor:).

Besides what other posters have already listed, don't forget to have their health insurance cards, along with that consent for medical treatment just in case something is needed.

It would also be a good idea to have a list of all past medical history, medications and allergies for everyone on the cruise, regardless of age. I know that could be as simple as no known, to a full blown transplant patient now in maintenance. But,as a paramedic, it really helps to have that information on hand. I carry a card in my wallet at all times for the times I may not be able to talk for myself, or have a senior moment and forget things.

Archived