NYC port...hotels?

deanna1178

Can anyone suggest some hotels by the NYC port?

I have some family that will be flying into NYC on Saturday to catch the cruise on Sunday but I am not too familiar with that area of NYC.

TIA!!

Which NYC area-Brooklyn or Manhattan????

And what kind of hotel-price range, amenities, etc. etc??? How many people/rooms?? Will they only be there for a few hours (might want to just stay at the airport hotels-MUCH cheaper) or do they plan on sightseeing in Manhattan??? Lots of questions to answer before you can get proper feedback.

Which NYC area-Brooklyn or Manhattan????

And what kind of hotel-price range, amenities, etc. etc??? How many people/rooms?? Will they only be there for a few hours (might want to just stay at the airport hotels-MUCH cheaper) or do they plan on sightseeing in Manhattan??? Lots of questions to answer before you can get proper feedback.

No idea why they would stay in Brooklyn. NCL uses only one port - the main NYC port in Manhattan.

Oops - just noticed this was originally posted on the NCL boards and moved here.

Can anyone suggest some hotels by the NYC port?

I have some family that will be flying into NYC on Saturday to catch the cruise on Sunday but I am not too familiar with that area of NYC.

TIA!!

You do not want to stay by the port. Midtown West is close to the port and where Times Square is located. First time visitors enjoy that area a lot.

No idea why they would stay in Brooklyn. NCL uses only one port - the main NYC port in Manhattan.

garycarla, so many people come to this board asking where to stay for a New York departure which can mean Brooklyn, Manhattan, or Bayonne (technically New Jersey). Usually it is vague questions which is why it is kind of habit to ask which port.

sorry ya'll...I originally posted this on NCL boards and it got moved. I shoudl have been more specific in my subject.

We just need it for one night....don't really think the amount of people and all that is necessary info.

Just looking for some ideas on places to stay by the NCL cruise ship ports which is why I posted this on NCL boards originally, ugh!!

thanks for the suggestions!

We just need it for one night....don't really think the amount of people and all that is necessary info.

Yes, it is necessary info. VERY few NYC hotels have rooms suitable for, let's say, a family of 5. Priceline only guarantees beds for 2 people. You have to SPECIFICALLY search for rooms for 4 people on Hotwire. Hotel rooms with 2 queens generally cost more than one king. And airport hotels (JFK or LGA) are CONSIDERABLY cheaper than a hotel in Manhattan. So if they are not sightseeing, stay at the airport and save the money.

Here are all kinds of hotels. And yes, the number of people does make a difference. Is that some national secret?

No idea what level of hotel you want. Fancy, basic. How close to port? And does it really need to be near port. Are you going out and about? Want to walk or take cheap cab?

See the link above for lots of hotel options with a few miles of the port.

I agree with Greatam and Garycarla. You are asking for our advice, but don't seem to want to assist us by providing the most minimal details. We need to know the date because there are certain weekends that are out of control in NY. We need to know the number of people and the desired bed configuration because that is a big deal in NY hotels. We need to know if you want to sightsee because it really is a lot cheaper to stay at the airport. We need to have some idea of your target budget, because otherwise we might just say "Stay at the Plaza" ($595/night). The only real advice that any of us can give you right now is that if you are staying in Manhattan, midtown is desirable but staying as close to the port as possible is NOT what you want to do. The other piece of advice we can give is that probably any 3.5* or up hotel in midtown would be acceptable accommodations but most likely would not be acceptable pricewise.

Yes, it is necessary info. VERY few NYC hotels have rooms suitable for, let's say, a family of 5. Priceline only guarantees beds for 2 people. You have to SPECIFICALLY search for rooms for 4 people on Hotwire. Hotel rooms with 2 queens generally cost more than one king. And airport hotels (JFK or LGA) are CONSIDERABLY cheaper than a hotel in Manhattan. So if they are not sightseeing, stay at the airport and save the money.

yes all necessary info when I am booking the hotel but I am just looking for ideas right now. I will take the specifics into consideration when I narrow them down. I have stayed in NYC many times but I am not familiar with the area the NCL ports are in, which is why I posted. Many NYC rooms are on the smaller size and I am prepared to reserve two rooms if necessary.

thank you for your suggestions!

Here are all kinds of hotels. And yes, the number of people does make a difference. Is that some national secret?

No idea what level of hotel you want. Fancy, basic. How close to port? And does it really need to be near port. Are you going out and about? Want to walk or take cheap cab?

See the link above for lots of hotel options with a few miles of the port.

YES for sure a national secret!!!

I wish I could answer all your specific questions but I am just researching this for my family who is flying in to NYC in July. They asked me to get some ideas for them...so that is what I am doing.

They have no idea when they want to fly into NYC, how many people are going or where they want to stay. they asked if I could find 5-6 places that are suitable, safe and at a reasonable price. I told them to be prepared for $250-300 to be a 'reasonable price' for one night in a decent location and that they may need two rooms.

yes all necessary info when I am booking the hotel but I am just looking for ideas right now. I will take the specifics into consideration when I narrow them down. I have stayed in NYC many times but I am not familiar with the area the NCL ports are in, which is why I posted. Many NYC rooms are on the smaller size and I am prepared to reserve two rooms if necessary.

thank you for your suggestions!

IMO, the actual NCL port location shouldn't be an issue for this thread. If you've stayed in Manhattan many times, then you should know that the cruise terminal is on the west side and any hotel, especially in the Midtown West or the Times Square area, is just a short taxi ride away. :confused:

This may help...may not be up-to-the-minute, but......

http://www.hotelsbythepier.com/

You are really caught in the middle. Their travel dates are coming up very soon - July is less than a month away. At this point I would recommend Hotwire for them for Midtown Central, Empire State or Times Square - a 3.5* or better, certainly not less than 3*. They can specify up to 4 people and probably should do so to ensure two beds. Right now I am seeing a 3.5* hotel in Midtown Central for $132 and a 4* in the Empire State area for $143. Any hotels in this category would be "suitable" and safe and the price is certainly right. However, the offerings can change moment to moment. These would be nonrefundable rooms.

If money is no object ( I would consider spending $250-$300 per room somewhat in that category), I'm sure other will chime in with their favorite hotels.

All I can say is LOL!

Close to ROFLMAO - but not gonna waste time falling down and getting up!

You hit the nail on the head!!!!

"I have stayed in NYC many times but I am not familiar with the area the NCL ports are in, which is why I posted."

This was the clue!!!

OK - I'm clueless. What is ROFLMAO?

Rolling On the Floor, Laughing My A*** Off

Got to get with it-how would you text message???? LOL

I just HATE the kids with all their text messages-How R U?? BFF, all that crap. Just had a college kid interview for an internship this fall and I got an email from him that looked like he was writing to his buds in the bar. Sent him packing. And the college advisor called to find out why??? He can't write and I do not want memos sent via company email that look like text messages. OH!!! was the only response.

Lots of outrageous sales in NY, very soft hotel occupancy rate. Yesterday the NY Daily News had an article that you can book the Waldorf, for $199 per night. You should get something very nice for $250 unless it is a holiday. People leave the city during the summer and return in autumn.

IMO, the actual NCL port location shouldn't be an issue for this thread. If you've stayed in Manhattan many times, then you should know that the cruise terminal is on the west side and any hotel, especially in the Midtown West or the Times Square area, is just a short taxi ride away. :confused:

This may help...may not be up-to-the-minute, but......

http://www.hotelsbythepier.com/

thank you for the link, I will pass it on.

Archived