Y'know, sometimes, I just think "to hell with cruising"

Thanks for the great thread....

I definitely agree with the positive comments and learned to be open-minded with the complaints expressed on these boards.

I often end many of my replies with "I haven't been on a cruise yet, that I didn't love". We've cruised: Celebrity, Carnival, Norwegian, and will try Holland next year and still hope to try Princess and Royal Caribbean .... I'm sure we'll love those too.

Hope you all have a great cruise.... we always do!

• 4 months later...

There's even more things to alter your decision, since you last posted

We have

De-shelling of lobster has stopped

There's dirty windows you can't see out of

The containers that hold pool towels are bursting at the seams

The drinking glasses are too small or come out of the dishwasher to hot to put a cold drink in.

Then there's the "Retreat" I won't even go there.

and it looks like you have to drink water out of coffee stained mugs. And listen to rants from anti-gay ventriloquists. And deal with the new Mariner program and worry about your copper medal. And worry about your embarkation luncheon, go pick out what you want in the Lido and tell the MDR staff to go get it. Yikes.

Exhausting. I'm ascared, as a woman I know always says. I bite my tongue.

Have fun.

and it looks like you have to drink water out of coffee stained mugs. And listen to rants from anti-gay ventriloquists. And deal with the new Mariner program and worry about your copper medal. And worry about your embarkation luncheon, go pick out what you want in the Lido and tell the MDR staff to go get it. Yikes.

Exhausting. I'm ascared, as a woman I know always says. I bite my tongue.

Have fun.

As long as you have quarters for the laundromat "Life Is Good":)

Life is good here on land. The weather is gorgeous, my herbs, veggies and flowers are abundantly overflowing with life in the garden, cooking at home is a joy because of all the lovely fresh produce and seafood available at my local grocery store, my husband and I enjoy our evening walks together strolling through the neighborhood and chatting with neighbors, and our children are healthy, happy, and well above average;) In short, I am content.

So, who needs the aggravation of schlepping my ever-aging body onto a cruise ship where I get to fight for a Lido seat after the ship's crew have taken all the good food choices, only to get my smuggled tray yanked away from me by an assiduous Lido manager? Who needs to stand in lines for this, that, and the other, while my toilet overfloweth and my cruiseline coffee reeketh? I don't feel compelled to anticipate in advance what could possible go wrong with my cruise, how much laundry I can stuff into a bag, what the crew does with my tip money, nor when the price of oil will prompt the cruise lines to reinstate the fuel surcharge. It's all just too much damn work, stress, and anxiety. What if the bartender doesn't accept my old drink card from my last cruise, the one with two punches left in it? I mean, what will I do?????

I swear, the Ryndam to Alaska is going to be my last cruise. I mean it, I really mean it. I'm on the brink of collapse......

:DLove it!! Course those that are a bit familiar with your posting style know that you are not serious. THANK GOODNESS!!:D

Joanie

MAM--thanks for your sarcastic wit!

Sometimes reading these boards reminds me of a poem I heard in grade school called The Pessimist

Nothing to do but work,

Nothing to eat but food,

Nothing to wear but clothes

To keep one from going nude.

Nothing to breathe but air

Quick as a flash 't is gone;

Nowhere to fall but off,

Nowhere to stand but on.

Nothing to comb but hair,

Nowhere to sleep but in bed,

Nothing to weep but tears,

Nothing to bury but dead.

Nothing to sing but songs,

Ah, well, alas! alack!

Nowhere to go but out,

Nowhere to come but back.

Nothing to see but sights,

Nothing to quench but thirst,

Nothing to have but what we've got;

Thus thro' life we are cursed.

Nothing to strike but a gait;

Everything moves that goes.

Nothing at all but common sense

Can ever withstand these woes.

Seriously, we leave two weeks from tomorrow for cruises #5 & 6 to Alaska. I can hardly wait. The only flight we could get to Vancouver stops in both Portland and Seattle where we change planes, but, hey, I get to experience airports in four different cities, three states and one foreign country all in the same day! (And if my luggage doesn't make the transfers I get to buy new clothes courtesy of my travel insurance!)

We have booked an obstructed view cabin, but it was really exciting when we got upgraded on week one and the anticipation of an upgrade for week two is part of the fun. (Don't worry, I'm perfectly content with the worst HH cabin if that's what I get--after all that's what I paid for and it was a real bargain--and it still has a comfy bed and a bathroom where I can reach everything without moving my feet and when I shower I can save time by just soaping the walls and spinning.)

As far as the other challenges of cruise life--I look better in yellowed, off- white than in white robes. Every meal I've had on a cruise ship was better than McDonalds or Burger King. If I'm bothered by smoke there is a deck with fresh air just minutes away, with a view that is far better than looking out at my back fence. The lady who joined us at our Lido table for breakfast without asking made me feel good because I was only fat and not obese and I don't talk with cream of wheat and fried eggs in my mouth. The AYW dining concept that we dreaded made us realize that we enjoy a more flexible dining schedule as much as we enjoyed having the same wait staff and dinner companions every night so we can choose either fixed or flexible depending on the itinerary and still gain weight. Sailing Code Red on a 14 day cruise made me appreciate the crew and their dedication and hard work so much more than on any other cruise.

jer_1 I love your attitude!!! Can I come sail with you?

Joanie

I remember one year when I said I was never going to travel again to a country where I don't speak the language.

Never say never. Since then we've spent time in Kuala Lumpur, 3 pre-cruise days in Amsterdam, and some other awesome days in wonderful non-English-speaking cities.

I have a feeling you'll be forgetting the stresses and remembering only the good things about cruising: being pampered, meeting new people, seeing new places.

Pipedreams62,

I love your stuff, really funny and right on point every time. Life is way too short to worry about what is not perfect (for some). When any of us get a chance to see the world aboard a cruise ship we need to rejoice. Just think of all the people in the world who can't vote, find food, find shelter, or suffer from preventable disease! OH that new retreat on the Veendam is a real deal breaker (give me a break)!

Keep up the good work Pipedreams62, the pictures you post are fantastic!

Happy cruising!!

As for the cruises I have taken, I have no complaints. Thought and thought until I had a headache, still no real complaints. I would cruise more if I lived within driving distance of Seattle. Taking a plane and having to fly across country business class because the leg room is not enough in tourist is really our biggest complaint, $$$. We both have major leg problems also my back and need the extra room. We tried the rows that you pay extra $$, still too little room. When I tried to recline my chair just a little I got complaints from the person behind me.:p As for the cruises I feel we get the best treatment, especially on the Westerdam which is our favorite ship. Really spoiled there. I'm counting the months and days until Jan. where I will be spoiled again by the Westerday crew.:)

But I also feel your pain.That's just the half of it. There's also the worry of

1. How many rooms are the stewards assigned to clean?

2. How often will the sheets get changed?

3. Will the ship have real crab or that fake stuff?

4. Will my robes be cheery white or dreary yellow?

5. Will an aroma actually come out of the aroma showers?

6. Will I end up with smokers next to me.

7. Should I take a chance and spend $20 in the Pinnacle

8. Will I be first on a tender? If not how do I achieve this?

9. How do I convince uncle Morty to wear a jacket on formal night?

10. Why am I taking uncle Morty?

1. Too many (according to them; almost none per Cruise co.)

2.Never, you took the cruise co/s side!:mad:

3. Fake

4. You got robes?:confused:

5. What the H--- are aroma showers? I don't want my shower to smell! Last one that did was due to sulfer.:(

6. Yes. Didn't you read Murphy's Laws?

7. Why not?

8. No...I don't know.

9. He's your uncle, not mine.

1. Seee 9.

MAM,

Thank you for starting this. I was beginning to think only malcontents traveled on HAL. I haven't cruised with them before and was beginning to wonder if I wanted to. I've enjoyed my past cruises soooo much and never met up with any of the problems so many here seem to anticipate. If the food's good, I don't need a tray; I enjoy seeing the crew eating where I do; I love to have strangers join me at my table on the Lido deck; my AC has never been wrecked by someone propping open a balcony door; I've never propped open my balcony door because the cruise line asked my not to on the door--silly me-I thought everyone would respect that request and I think the vast majority do; If a deck chair is taken, I can move on; I'll have a lanai cabin and if the deck chairs are reserved for the cabins, I'll use my own; if anyone else is in them and I want them, I'll politely ask them to relinquish them; if they don't, I'll throw them overboard while screaming, "the posters on CC warned me there'd be people onboard like you so I muscled up to take care of you". Keep up our good spirits MAM--I hope I meet you rather than some of the others on my HAL cruise.

Very well said.:)

I almost didn't sail HAL after reading a lot of boards, but am glad I did, anyway. Never met the many malcontents on here, Thank heaven.

I really, really, really, really would LOVE to be sick of cruising as there will be no cruises until our DD who just started her Freshman year in college graduates. Oh well, life goes on. Is there a cruiser's anoymous forum on this site?

Brilliant Thread!

Malcontent got me to thinking of other names we can call each other!

Crosspatch

Curmudgeon

Sourpuss

Sorehead

Grump

Bellyacher

We nag, moan, growl, fuss, attack, protest, wail, whimper and whine.

If only…………..we would realize that life is too short to be SNARKY!

Lin

Let's add - KVETCH

ameanvent.jpg
Missing. along with Yea,yea,yea and countless others. Gone. Change is hard. I hope a fun thread pops up soon. Love those corkers! And strangers. I mean strange people but I like to call them strangers. Because that's how they stay. As strangers. Get it?:)

Missing. along with Yea,yea,yea and countless others. Gone. Change is hard. I hope a fun thread pops up soon. Love those corkers! And strangers. I mean strange people but I like to call them strangers. Because that's how they stay. As strangers. Get it?:)

Do You mean

adooby.jpg

Archived