Viewing Constellations from Nassau

jhmoore143

I have no idea where to post this, so I hope this is the right place

Has anyone see (or looked for) the Constellation Crux, (the Southern Cross) while on a cruise towards the Bahamas?

I know it is a constellation from the southern hemisphere, but in the summer, you can see it from the northern hemisphere when you are south of latitude 30 degrees. Port Canaveral is at the 28th parallel, Cococay is at the 25th Parallel and Nassau is almost at the 24th parallel.

I am going to try to look for it while we are on our cruise, but I have no idea which direction to look. One would assume "South", but that is not necessarily true.

If anyone has seen this constellation, can you please let me know where on the ship (about what time, too) were you and where did you see it?

Nassau isn't far enough south for that---at least, I've never seen it....the damp ocean air tends to keep it hazy on the horizon....or cloudy at night!

I attempted to find it when we were in Panama (which is VERY close to the equator) and had no luck at all.

Nassau isn't far enough south for that---at least, I've never seen it....the damp ocean air tends to keep it hazy on the horizon....or cloudy at night!

I attempted to find it when we were in Panama (which is VERY close to the equator) and had no luck at all.

That's what I was afraid of - the atmosphere being what it is near the horizon will blanket out any views. At least that is what I read about trying to see the North Star from the equator on a NASA related web page.

Oh well, I was hoping. . .

Why don't you google for planetariums, choose one and email them your question? They might have suggestions as to where and when to look. Sometimes things might be visible, if you are out at the right time. EM

Why don't you google for planetariums, choose one and email them your question? They might have suggestions as to where and when to look. Sometimes things might be visible, if you are out at the right time. EM

That is such a great idea. Never would have thought of that. Thanks!!!!

FYI:

Crux300px-Crux_constellation_map.pngList of stars in CruxAbbreviation:CruGenitive:CrucisSymbolism:Southern CrossRight ascension:12.5 hDeclination:−60°Area:68 sq. deg. (88th)Main stars:4Bayer/Flamsteed

stars:19Stars with

known planets:1Bright stars:4Nearby stars:0Brightest star:Acrux (α Cru) (0.87m)Nearest star:η Cru (64.2 ly)Messier objects:0Meteor showers:CrucidsBordering

constellations:Centaurus

Musca

Visible at latitudes between +20° and −90°

Best visible at 21:00 (9 p.m.) during the month of May

Crux (pronounced /ˈkrʌks/, genitive Crucis /ˈkruːsɨs/) is the smallest of the 88 modern constellations, but is one of the most distinctive. Its name is Latin for cross, and it is dominated by a cross-shaped asterism that is commonly known as the Southern Cross because throughout this Common Era it has been easily visible from the southern hemisphere, at practically any time of year, although it is also visible near the horizon from tropical latitudes of the northern hemisphere, for a few hours every night, during the spring months; for instance, from Cancun -- or any other place al latitude 25º N or less, with unobstructed view to the South—at around 10 pm, at the end of April.

Archived