Rough waters on Hawaiian Cruises?

cristal333

I am considering taking the Pride of America, roundtrip Honolulu in early October. I have had issues with seasickness in the past and would love to know if these waters are normally "rough". I've cruised many times and been fine, but I know it was a rough ride out of NY to Bermuda and sailing Southern Caribbean out of Puerto Rico wasn't so pleasant either ;)

I won't let it stop me from going... I would just like to have an idea what to expect. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Just like any body of water, it can be calm and smooth, or rough and choppy...there's really no way to predict in advance! I would expect moderate seas most of the time. The ocean tends to "do it's own thing"!

My experience is that on Hawaii cruise the rough seas are on those that go from Los Angeles to Hawaii which I've taken a few times. But, given that you are starting in Hawaii and cruising between the Islands our experience is that the seas have been relatively calm. As cb at Sea correctly notes no one can predict for sure that the waters will be like but the good news is that you are beginning and ending your cruise in Hawaii and not doing say a trans pacific cruise.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

I cruised on POA Jan/2007 and I was on a balcony on the 8th deck. Sleeping I was fine, however (BIG HOWEVER) there were some nights when I was trying to walk up and down the stairs and you could feel every pitch and dive and either you were walking or falling down the stairs.

It is the pacific and they don't hold the surfing contests there for nothing you know?;)

Before you go, go see you Dr. and ask him for motion sea-sickness tabs that go behind your ear, or try over the counter meds. **Special note** 2 days before the cruise was over with the gift shop, purser's desk and the ship Dr was out of sea-sickness pills.

Maybe it was "that" time of the year, but whatever it may be just be prepared. Even with the roughness of the water, it will be the cruise of a lifetime for you.

hint---- When you get onboard (Saturday) go to the specialty restaurant Teppanyaki and request a seating on Friday evening around 5pm. You will be dining and watching the Na Pali costline with AMAZING views!! Bring a camera and you will not be disappointed!;)

----Tuesday night I believe is the night you see flowing lava from the volcano and the ship did a 360 when we were on there. (not sure if this is still done)

Have FUN!!:D

We did a Hawaiian cruise in 2007. In between islands, those were some of the roughest waters I had been in (30+ cruises). I actually got up in the middle of the night to take more sea sick medicine. We had our little girl with us (just turned 4), and I was seriously worried that the rocking of the ship was going to roll her out of bed. After the first night's rough sailing, I asked our room steward if this was normal. She said it was.

So, make sure you start taking your seasick medicine early (2 days before cruising), and take it regularly thereafter. The good thing about the Hawaii cruise is that you are normally sailing the roughest seas at night. So, I would take a 1/4 dose in the morning while we were out and about on the islands, and take a full dose as soon as we got back on ship before sailing.

You will love the itinerary of this cruise. Beautiful! Well worth taking the extra sea sick medicine.

We cruised on RCCL Legend a few years ago. Flew directly to Honolulu, but last leg was from Hawaii to Ensenada (thanks, Jones Act). Sea was rough and it was too cold to use the pool (April). If you aren't going between Hawaii and mainland, you should have it better. We just did Southern Carib, leaving from Puerto Rico and had smooth sailing. We've been on cruises in the W.Carib and E Carib where the drawers were rolling completely out and slamming into the cabinets during the night...Roll of the dice.

Archived