Airlines used by Silversea

chicagogal

Hi. We have been on Silversea twice and just booked our 3rd - Vancouver/Alaska. We have never booked the air through them, though, and did this time due to the special they are running for $200 pp. Does anyone know if there are particular airlines they use (we live in Chicago) and can you comment on whether the routing is usually pretty decent? Are the deviations really costly if we would want to stay in Vancouver before or after? I guess what I am saying is that I am really nervous about not being "in charge" but I like to save money as much as the next person. Thanks!

I would suggest you read the "sticky" on cruiseline air in the Cruise Air forum here on CC. Much information there, so you will get the feel for what this all entails.

As for what airline -- it totally depends on what they contracted for months ago. Could be any airline or combination via any routing. Futhermore, past experiences (such as "they used XYZ airlines for us" last year) have no bearing on what you'll get this year.

I would suggest you read the "sticky" on cruiseline air in the Cruise Air forum here on CC. Much information there, so you will get the feel for what this all entails.

/quote]

Good suggestion! I wonder when we will find out what "the gods" have selected for us? :)

As for what airline -- it totally depends on what they contracted for months ago. Could be any airline or combination via any routing. Futhermore, past experiences (such as "they used XYZ airlines for us" last year) have no bearing on what you'll get this year.

After reading through most of the suggested thread I am wondering why in the world I went against my own inclinations and habits and decided to try Silversea air instead of booking our own ... very depressing! Oh well I guess we will just hope for the best!

Could someone please post that they have had a good experience with Silversea air?????

Just out of curiosity for comparison, Oceania's included air does not include all the fees and taxes (which often amount to a substantial fraction of the airflight cost). Also, if you need any deviation (such as going a day early or returning two days late, which does not affect the ticket cost at all), there will still be a $75 "deviation fee" (handling charge). Of course, if the routing or the airline you choose happens to be more expensive than what they plan for you, then there is additional differential upcharge (of the difference in cost between their way and your way). How does it work for Silversea?

Silverseas has offered us wonderful non stop flights at good times on United from Chicago to Vancouver round trip with a deviation to stay an extra day at no extra charge! (The original air was "free" or $200 deduction pp if declined.)

These are the exact flights I originally looked at booking myself for over $600 each or 50,000 miles each (the 1 or 2 stops were only 25,000 miles each) I have already confirmed seats and that we will earn frequent flyer miles and I also put in for upgrades with United.

Needless to say, we are very pleased! (especially since the cruise was already significantly discounted and has the $1,000 shipboard credit, too)

hi. We have been on silversea twice and just booked our 3rd - vancouver/alaska. We have never booked the air through them, though, and did this time due to the special they are running for $200 pp. Does anyone know if there are particular airlines they use (we live in chicago) and can you comment on whether the routing is usually pretty decent? Are the deviations really costly if we would want to stay in vancouver before or after? I guess what i am saying is that i am really nervous about not being "in charge" but i like to save money as much as the next person. Thanks!

we just returned from vancouver to tucson via alaska air, no problem

• 1 month later...
How far out will you know about filghts that SS is booking for you?

Also, since they are scheduling the flights, will they "catch you up" if the air does not arrive you in time?

Our cruise is September 3rd and we have had our flights for several weeks already. We requested a deviation to stay an extra day and we got that at no extra charge.

Interesting thread!

I am on the verge of booking my first SS cruise for next summer and with free air it is a great deal,I am from the UK and SS won't guarantee that our flights are direct! The flights are only 2 hrs from the uk,and they won't say which carrier they are from,is it because the cruise is not until next may/june? I would sooner have the money off the cruise and book my own flights,but TA says SS will only give us £50 off for this option which I think is a very low amount.

Does anyone have any experience flying from uk with SS, I hope they use BA cause I dont want to be flying via the US to get to Barcelona!!!!!!:D:D

Archived