Footwear in the Baltic

So DH and I have started to pack for our June 13 cruise on the Constellation. We've checked the weather and it looks pretty cool and maybe wet for the next 10 days out. Soooooo......I was going to bring comfortable walking sandals for touring, but it looks too cool for those. I'm planning on bringing my good walking sneakers, but hate the thought of wearing those every day. My DH loves his light hikers and will wear those, but I think my hikers look too clunky for walking around European capitols. Any suggestions from those of you who've done the Baltic in late spring?

Thanks.

Sheila

I took some black walking shoes (the white version looks like sneakers) made by Cole Hahn. They worked perfectly with jeans or black pants. I also took the cutest pair of Born silver flats that were very comfortable. They look like ballet flats but have padding and inner arch support. I walked all over Copenhagen and Stockholm in them. They work with skirts, walking shorts or pants. In Tallinn and Helsinki, I wore the black shoes as it was cold and damp (needed socks to keep warm). In St Petersburg, I think I alternated depending on the weather.

Where are you going in the Baltics? Our cruise is June 12th. We go to Berlin, St. Petersburg, Tallin, Helsinki, Stockholm,Copenhagen and Hamburg. When I look at the 15 day extended forecast most places are showing high 60's - low 70's. Warm enough for sandals I would think on most days. I go to accuweather dot com for forecasts.

I was planning on wearing capris most days. I also have a sort of hybrid sneaker/mary jane/ballet flat that is made by Born and will wear those most days. Although, I reserve the right to wear my croc flip-flops on the low 70s days.

Don't recommend to wear open toe shoes in those cities where there is brick or stone pavement. I think Tallin is one of those and perhaps Stockholm. St. Petersburg is not, for sure. Please remember that in Baltics it can't really be very hot anyway, at least for us, who live in California. Of course, if you are from the east coast or Canada, for you it will feel different. Even low 70's in June and July is not so warm there as you are on the water and there is a breeze. I can only speak for myself as sometimes I see people walking in sandals when we have 60 degrees outside. If you are one of those hot blooded, you might want to bring both, sandals and shoes. I vote for shoes. Helen from LA

We did a Baltic cruise in mid June a few years ago

It may be 70's but can get cool quickly. Good walking shoes are a must.

I did wear sneakers most of the time, the streets are cobble stones in some cities & hard going in sandals.

After 70, you go for comfort and wear high end Nike Air Zoom jogging shoes each and every day in ports, with capris or jeans, and a waterproof Columbia hoodie in the backpack.

I promise to clean up for dinner on the ship, though.

Bev

Don't recommend to wear open toe shoes in those cities where there is brick or stone pavement. I think Tallin is one of those and perhaps Stockholm. St. Petersburg is not, for sure. Please remember that in Baltics it can't really be very hot anyway, at least for us, who live in California. Of course, if you are from the east coast or Canada, for you it will feel different. Even low 70's in June and July is not so warm there as you are on the water and there is a breeze. I can only speak for myself as sometimes I see people walking in sandals when we have 60 degrees outside. If you are one of those hot blooded, you might want to bring both, sandals and shoes. I vote for shoes. Helen from LA

Which brings up a good point. After good walking shoes, the 2nd rule for travel that involves a lot of walking/sight-seeing is to dress in layers - lots of them. When you are walking, you will get warm. When you stop, you will feel cooler. I always wear several layers on top, starting with a light shirt or t-shirt and then a cardigan and finally a light weight jacket. I've been in London and Rome at the beginning of March when the weather was in the mid to high 50's and still had to occasionally strip down to the t-shirt and then a hour later had to bundle back up with the cardigan and jacket and a hat!. Going in and out of buildings and off and on buses means you will constantly be having to adjust to different temperatures.

Personally, if you want to wear sandals, I would bring both. The weather can fluctuate a lot from day to day. We were on a cruise to Alaska in early June a few years ago and some days it was down right sweltering. It was unseasonably warm, it wasn't forecasted and a lot of people were caught with clothes that were too warm. With layers, you can adjust as needed.

I wish I had worn my hikers. I found the cobblestones hard on my feet (I chose to wear my New Balance walking sneakers.) The locals all wear leather shoes so tourists in sneakers can be spotted a mile away.

I think sandals would be hard to walk in--too many cobble stones. Same with anything with a heel. When we were in Stockholm, I was window shopping one day. There was a very upscale shoe store filled with high heeled shoes. Who would ever buy those in Stockholm?--I wouldn't be able to walk 2 feet on the cobblestones.

I think sandals would be hard to walk in--too many cobble stones. Same with anything with a heel. When we were in Stockholm, I was window shopping one day. There was a very upscale shoe store filled with high heeled shoes. Who would ever buy those in Stockholm?--I wouldn't be able to walk 2 feet on the cobblestones.

I've wondered the same thing. In Rome, women walked around in 3 inch heels on the cobblestones. I guess if you grow up with cobblestone streets, you get use to it. LOL.

Been back a week and am thinking the weather will not have changed that much.

1. rain is a distinct possibility - keep that in mind with your shoe choice.

2. they do not walk around in the shoes like in Italy so don't worry about that.

That being said; I worried about my choices - did not want too many shoes so took heels for evening, Easy Spirit for on and off that ship and out of fear took my walking shoes. Second day of touring- I switched to the walking shoes and kept the others on the ship for the duration. Have to admit with all of the walking and the stones etc- I was glad to have the walking shoes with and in the future will always take them with me - sure is more sane that discomfort with so much sightseeing to do - Long and short of it - wear what your feet like long term

Layering is still a must and a waterproof jacket - the wind likes the umbrellas too much to drag them along

I was concerned about the weather changes and asked about jeans and had a local from Copenhagen wrote back and said take your jeans - that's what we wear. It was the best advice I ever had for such a long trip - I took two in different weights and could have left a lot at home. I found it difficult to plan since I associate cruising with warm. The temp while we were there was 50-65 normally with warmer feeling weather with the sun out. Just was checking another Scandia site from a local and they were very adamant about the jacket because of wind and rain.

Good luck - pack light and have a good time - it was great!

An interesting topic--we're going to be there midJuly and I have a very comfy pair of Dansko sandals. Would you recommend, for July, that I bring my comfy Dansko clogs, too? I always seem to get too hot walking around in closed-toe shoes, but I'm a bit concerned about the 'degree of cobblestoneness'. :confused: I also have Puma sneakers, a bit more 'local' looking:o

Don't worry about appearance; dress for comfort. There is nothing worse than hurting yourself or having sore feet when you want to have a nice day on shore. I wear tie-up walking shoes for comfort on ship or shore and don't worry about whether I look great. My walking shoes are usually by Brooks.

Alice

Archived