Using a Kindle on the Legend?

b714210

DH and I are headed for the Legend this October. I was thinking of getting him a Kindle for Father's Day, as he loves to read by the pool, but I don't like to load my luggage up with books. Will a Kindle work on a cruise ship to load and/or read books on? We are going to GC, Coz, Belize and Isla Roatan. Anyone with advice?:confused:

It should work fine by the pool. I have owned my since April and love it. The only thing is he might not be able to live download while on the ship as it works on Sprints 3G network (or similar) and doesn't work outside of the US. He would have to load all of his reading on there before he left and then he would have no problems actually reading on the ship. I actually bought mine so I could have it on our Dream cruise in Feb 2010 but have used it flying back and forth to Reno and traveling y car quite a bit already.

The only way you will be able to download new content on the Kindle is by using the USB port with the ship's computer (or your computer with the ship's WiFi) which could get expensive. The other alternative is using an Internet Cafe in one of the ports.

I usually download a bunch of books before leaving port. The Kindle website offers a number of older books for a couple of dollars or less (including some for free).

The Kindle is ideal for any reader.

DH and I are headed for the Legend this October. I was thinking of getting him a Kindle for Father's Day, as he loves to read by the pool, but I don't like to load my luggage up with books. Will a Kindle work on a cruise ship to load and/or read books on? We are going to GC, Coz, Belize and Isla Roatan. Anyone with advice?:confused:

No problem. He buys and downloads the books from home and can read to his hearts content. He does not need to connect to anything to use his Kindle except when he first buys a book.

No problem. He buys and downloads the books from home and can read to his hearts content. He does not need to connect to anything to use his Kindle except when he first buys a book.

Well, actually he does have to connect to a power supply to recharge the battery . . . . . . but no problem on a cruiseship.

As others have said, the only real problem he could have is downloading books. Just download what he wants before leaving home and no problem. BTW it is a great gift.

Received mine and took it on a cruise in March. Doesn't hurt as much as a thick book does when you fall asleep and it falls on you. :D:D

As already mentioned, he has to load the books he wants before he leaves, because it won't download after you leave the US. One thing to remember, bring a baggie to put it in while reading on a beach or at the pool. Water & sand will be kept out that way & I actually dropped mine in the pool a little, but the baggie kept it dry.

I LOVE mine & would be lost without it. It goes in my purse wherever I go.

Reading, yes. I didn't try and download anything, so I don't know about that.

• 3 weeks later...

I just returned from the Legend (June 7-14), took my Kindle and loved it. I used it all over the ship with no problems. I charged it up before I left but took my charger just in case...didn't need it. As others on CC have noted, however, you CANNOT download anything once you get too far away from the US. The Kindle simply won't be able to connect to its network.

How well does it work in sunlight? Is there a glare?

I would be really bumed if I lost this instead of a book!

I have a Sony E Reader and it works great in sunlight - no glare at all. The screen is anti-reflective and very easy on the eyes.

Thanks Ro!!

NP. I adore my Sony Reader (505 is the one I have) and I've had 4 friends and family members buy them after seeing mine. If you don't need the ability to instantly buy and d/l books from anywhere in the US, the Sony is a great reader and significantly cheaper than the Kindle. With Google Books, you also have access to 100,000 or so FREE books, which is awesome. I just downloaded the entire Sherlock Holmes collection to read, as well as quite a few other books I've been meaning to read for years. I paid $279 for mine - and have gotten more than enough use out of it already to justify the expense.

NP. I adore my Sony Reader (505 is the one I have) and I've had 4 friends and family members buy them after seeing mine. If you don't need the ability to instantly buy and d/l books from anywhere in the US, the Sony is a great reader and significantly cheaper than the Kindle. With Google Books, you also have access to 100,000 or so FREE books, which is awesome. I just downloaded the entire Sherlock Holmes collection to read, as well as quite a few other books I've been meaning to read for years. I paid $279 for mine - and have gotten more than enough use out of it already to justify the expense.

nice!

BTW.. i picked up a couple of packs clove! locally!.. The shop was not even aware that they will be illegal soon:eek:

nice!

BTW.. i picked up a couple of packs clove! locally!.. The shop was not even aware that they will be illegal soon:eek:

Awesome! We got an email last night that our two cartons shipped from Indonesia - $52 for 20 packs - MUCH cheaper than the $7 or $8 a pack locally, so we're happy we decided to order online. Those will last quite a while - but I'm still curious as to whether we will still be able to order from overseas in three months...

Archived