Passengers Sailing From Vancouver

ceilidh1

perhaps to ensure the most accurate answer, I should add a bit of info...

We are a family of five (2 adults, 3 kids). I am a Canadian citizen, as are two of our three kids. My wife and one son are Russian citizens and require B1 visas to enter the US. (They have the visas already.) They are in Canada under a V-1 Visitor visa.

Another question is that we would prefer not to split up.... is it possible for me and our two Canadian kids to stay together with my wife and son while they go through US immigration for visa-holders?

thanks again for your help.

Ron

Wait time very much depends on the day and time. If you ae sailing on a Monday you will have about a half hour wait as only one ship is in port. On Saturday, we have both Princess and HAL, which means all passengers need to clear through the samr security and US customs lines. Security generally opens at 10:45am - get there between then and 12:00 and your wait time will be about 45 minutes or less. Between 12 and 3, we see the longest lines and you are looking at over an hour - it hasn't been over 2 hours, but it probably seems like it when standing in line! Having said that, International passport holders routinely have waits over 2 hours at the busy times! Arrive after 3pm and there will be less line ups and you may not have to wait at all. My advice - come very early or very late!

Thanks for the info. I plan on being as early as possible I just wanted to have an idea of what to expect. We'll be embarking on a Monday. I know the Star will be in that morning as well but I don't know what other ships may be so we'll plan on waiting a bit. Thanks!

perhaps to ensure the most accurate answer, I should add a bit of info...

We are a family of five (2 adults, 3 kids). I am a Canadian citizen, as are two of our three kids. My wife and one son are Russian citizens and require B1 visas to enter the US. (They have the visas already.) They are in Canada under a V-1 Visitor visa.

Another question is that we would prefer not to split up.... is it possible for me and our two Canadian kids to stay together with my wife and son while they go through US immigration for visa-holders?

thanks again for your help.

Ron

Everyone can go through the "International" passport line, but only Canadian/US passport holders may go through the other line. So if you all want to stay together, you would all need to be processed through the International line.

The longshoremen usually begin accepting bags after 10am, providing that all the luggage has been offloaded for disembarkation by that time. If you want to do it even earlier, there is CDS baggage just inside the terminal - they charge a fee to hold your bag for as long as you want. I believe they open around 9am.

I would suggest checking how many ships are in port on the day you sail and how many passengers you would be looking at. Although all lines have separate check in, all passengers go through the same security, customs, and immigration lines - that means the more ships/passengers, the longer the lines! Plan on arriving later in the afternoon if you have 2 or more ships in (I suggest around 3:30pm) to avoid lines.

Everyone can go through the "International" passport line, but only Canadian/US passport holders may go through the other line. So if you all want to stay together, you would all need to be processed through the International line.

Thanks, understood.

The longshoremen usually begin accepting bags after 10am, providing that all the luggage has been offloaded for disembarkation by that time. If you want to do it even earlier, there is CDS baggage just inside the terminal - they charge a fee to hold your bag for as long as you want. I believe they open around 9am.

Ok, so we'll show up just before 10am, and see if they will accept our bags, if not we'll give them to CDS.

I would suggest checking how many ships are in port on the day you sail and how many passengers you would be looking at. Although all lines have separate check in, all passengers go through the same security, customs, and immigration lines - that means the more ships/passengers, the longer the lines! Plan on arriving later in the afternoon if you have 2 or more ships in (I suggest around 3:30pm) to avoid lines.

I see from the port calendar at http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/about/cruiseandtourism/cruiselineschedules.aspx that the Spirit (2124 passengers) and Volendam (1440 passengers) are in port on July 8th. Given this information, do you still think 3:30pm is good? or a bit earlier or a bit later?

Thanks again for your help...

Ron

I see from the port calendar at http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/about/cruiseandtourism/cruiselineschedules.aspx that the Spirit (2124 passengers) and Volendam (1440 passengers) are in port on July 8th. Given this information, do you still think 3:30pm is good? or a bit earlier or a bit later?

Thanks again for your help...

Ron

Please note that cruise lines now require that you be checked in 1.5 hours before sailing (yes, I know that some people get to the pier and on board later than the required time). Since your ship is scheduled to leave at 5:30, you need to be checked in by 4 PM. Since you have international passengers, I would suggest that you get to the pier earlier than 3:30 and should not get there after 3:30.

Please note that cruise lines now require that you be checked in 1.5 hours before sailing (yes, I know that some people get to the pier and on board later than the required time). Since your ship is scheduled to leave at 5:30, you need to be checked in by 4 PM. Since you have international passengers, I would suggest that you get to the pier earlier than 3:30 and should not get there after 3:30.

You can't check in until you are through immigration and security. Therefore, if you arrive at 2pm and wait in line until 4:30pm to be processed, you still can't check in until you are processed. On the flip side, if you arrive later you still may not get through the line and checked in until 4:30, but you have a shorter wait in line....I know which I would choose. I can't speak for all cruise lines, but Princess will not leave if you are in the terminal awaiting security/immigration processing - th ship sails once all passengers are through and security and immigration is closed. If you arrive AFTER this hapens then you are out of luck anyway!

lewinr - 3500 passengers is actually not too bad. You will still have lines, but not as bad as you would see if it were a Saturday with 6000 passengers! Bear in mind that you will have a longer wait in the International passport line - if you don't mind waiting then it doesn't matter what time you arrive, but shortest waits are early on (before 12pm) or later in the day (after 3/3:30pm)

Just wondering if you could answer a quick question for me regarding a passport expiring less than 6 months after return, we are going Vancouver to Vancouver with 3 stops in Alaska, we are 6 days short of the 6 month expiry, will it be a problem?

we are staying at the Fairmont waterfront, will we be able to walk to the terminal?

Yes. Canada Place (pier for Celebrity) is directly across the street from the Fairmont Waterfront.

Yes. Canada Place (pier for Celebrity) is directly across the street from the Fairmont Waterfront.

I thought Celebrity sailed out of Ballantyne? You can certainly walk to Canada Place, but you can't walk to Ballanytyne.

Just wondering if you could answer a quick question for me regarding a passport expiring less than 6 months after return, we are going Vancouver to Vancouver with 3 stops in Alaska, we are 6 days short of the 6 month expiry, will it be a problem?

You should probably check with the cruise line - I don't think it would be a problem, but better to be safe than sorry!

I thought Celebrity sailed out of Ballantyne? You can certainly walk to Canada Place, but you can't walk to Ballanytyne.

She is sailing on the Oct 12/09 cruise, Vancouver to San Diego (at least that's the roll call she is on). Mercury is sailing out of Canada Place for that cruise per Port of Metro Vancouver schedule:

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/about/cruiseandtourism/cruiselineschedules.aspx

On a previous post you mentioned the US Direct Program.

We are flying into Vancouver from the US and will arrive in the early afternoon. What should we expect before we are able to get our luggage and go to our hotel and what is the US Direct Program. Thanks

We are flying into Vancouver from the US and will arrive in the early afternoon. What should we expect before we are able to get our luggage and go to our hotel and what is the US Direct Program. Thanks

US Direct wont be applicable as you're going to a hotel and not straight to the cruise ship. Follow the logic below to understand what US Direct does for you;

Normally arriving Vancouver to take a cruise, you'd

1. land at YVR
  2. clear Canadian Customs & Immigration
  3. go to cruise ship terminal
  4. pre-clear USA Customs & Immigration (so when you get to Alaska you don't have to)
  5. get on board

With USA Direct, you skip items 2 & 4. However, it's only applicable for going straight from the airport to ship (or vice verse).

Here is a link to the US Direct program, however as you are flying in the day before your cruise (a good thing) and staying at a hotel you will not be eligible to participate in it. However if you are returning via Vancouver you may be eligible and you can make arrangements for it at the Pax Services Desk once aboard ship.

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/about/cruiseandtourism/usdirectprocess.aspx

Here is a link to the US Direct program, however as you are flying in the day before your cruise (a good thing) and staying at a hotel you will not be eligible to participate in it. However if you are returning via Vancouver you may be eligible and you can make arrangements for it at the Pax Services Desk once aboard ship.

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/about/cruiseandtourism/usdirectprocess.aspx

THANK YOU. Also a thanks to Scottbee. The US Direct program won't apply for us this time, but we will keep it in mind for the future.

• 5 weeks later...

The Vancouver port schedule indicates that there are 4 ships departing Canada Place on September 20th.

Does that mean the security lines will be 2 hours or more?

Are there wheel chairs available for those passengers who require boarding assistance at the security lines and do the security folks make any special considerations for those passengers?

Thanks,

We are Sailing on the Carnival Spirit 9/7/2010 from Seattle to Glacier Bay back to Vancouver. The Spirit then on the same day sails Vancouver to Hawaii on the 9/14/2010 we want to be on that cruise also. But some people are saying we can not do it due to the Passenger services Act. Carnival say we can. If I understand the Act that is why the Spirit is stopping in Vancouver because it is a foreign port. Is this so.

You actually CANNOT do this due to the PSA. Your ship left Seattle originally and you will be returning to LA or San Diego from HI. Therefore you are going US port to US port. The inbetween (Vancouver) does not count since you don't get off for 24 hours or change ships.

It is exactly the same as the NCL Pearl itiniary (Seattle to Vancouver, Vancouver to LA) and that is also a violation of the rules. Trust me on this. I have looked into it umpteen times.

What you CAN do is go from Vancouver to a US port and then back to Vancouver. Then you can go to Hawaii (or wherever else you want to). Since you originally boarded in Vancouver, which is not the US obviously, you can end up whereever you want whenever you want.

That is why many cruise lines offer "super" Alaska itiniaries that are back to back (Vancouver to Whittier, back to Vancouver in 14 days)... The only solution to these B2B problems is to either change ships (not necessarily cruise lines, just ships) or take a 24 hour break at a port.

Katherine

ceilidh1

Any problem carrying cartons of softdrinks or wine in sacks through the boarding process? If so, suggestions to make it easier on passengers or the boarding staff.

Soft drinks are not a problem. Wine is meant to be limited to 1 bottle per person (on Princess) but I have never actually seen this enforced in Vancouver. I see many, many passengers openly carrying through several bottles without a problem...

The Vancouver port schedule indicates that there are 4 ships departing Canada Place on September 20th.

Does that mean the security lines will be 2 hours or more?

Are there wheel chairs available for those passengers who require boarding assistance at the security lines and do the security folks make any special considerations for those passengers?

Thanks,

It will depend on whether passengers are required to pre clear for the US or if they can do it when they disembark (this usually happens on the 1 or 2 night repositioning cruises that only go to the US with no stops). If they don't need to pre clear US customs, lines will not be as long, but security clearance will still have a long wait. If you need assistance, you should request a wheelchair as soon as you get into the terminal - ask any of the cruise line reps. This will give you a definite advantage as you won't need to wait in the general line up, but will go through a much shorter line. I would definitely plan on a wait, though, regardless....4 ships is a LOT!!!

Can we use the U.S. Direct Program if our flight doesnt leave until10:30 P.M. on the day of debarkation?

I believe that you can still do the program, but you will be taken directly from ship to airport and will not be permitted to leave the airport. That's an awfull long time to spend at an airport!

Archived