Half Moon Cay

I have a few questions if someone could help please

From the photos, it looks like there are a lot of blue lounge chairs, in straight lines, in front of the cabanas.

If you have a cabana further down the beach is it less crowded?

Do you have to walk to them or is there transport?

Do you have to go and get your food from the buffet and bring it back to your cabana or is it served to you?

How are they numbered? are the higher numbers the ones further down the beach?

Other than position are they all the same?

Finally, how can we find out what ships are at HMC on a particular day?

Thank you

From the photos, it looks like there are a lot of blue lounge chairs, in straight lines, in front of the cabanas.

Yes, it is. There are loungers in front of all the cabanas, but people tend to take what's available as they walk along. By the time you get to the higher numbered cabanas there are very few (if any) people camped out there.

There is transportation to the cabanas, if needed. I don't know if it's also used by others, but it can't hurt to ask for a ride if you need one.

Do you have to go and get your food from the buffet and bring it back to your cabana or is it served to you?

Unless you have a cabana with butler service, you have to schlepp your own food. Or sweet-talk someone into getting it for you. ;)

The cabana numbers increase the further from the tender dock you go. The highest number is 15.

Cabana #1 is handicapp accessible. The others are not. Besides that, and color, I believe they are the same

Finally, how can we find out what ships are at HMC on a particular day?

Try http://www.cruisett.com/

or http://www.cruisereport.com/PortsOfCallList.aspx

Yes, it is. There are loungers in front of all the cabanas, but people tend to take what's available as they walk along. By the time you get to the higher numbered cabanas there are very few (if any) people camped out there.

There is transportation to the cabanas, if needed. I don't know if it's also used by others, but it can't hurt to ask for a ride if you need one.

Unless you have a cabana with butler service, you have to schlepp your own food. Or sweet-talk someone into getting it for you. ;)

The cabana numbers increase the further from the tender dock you go. The highest number is 15.

Cabana #1 is handicapp accessible. The others are not. Besides that, and color, I believe they are the same

Try http://www.cruisett.com/

or http://www.cruisereport.com/PortsOfCallList.aspx

Thank you Ruth. You are a star.

We have been to HMC many times in the past. Last time was in 2004 and that was before the cabanas. Also, in those days the HAL ships were smaller, there was never more than one ship there (at least not on any of our visists) and there were no Carnival ships.

I have a feeling we are going to see a difference.

HAL and Carnival there together is a pretty rare occurrence - once or twice per year.

We will be there next year (5th May) on the Noordam. Looking at HAL and Carnival cruises at that time it looks like Noordam will be the only ship there :D

The largest I have been there on was the Rotterdam. I hope it will not be too overcrowded.

We will be there next year (5th May) on the Noordam. Looking at HAL and Carnival cruises at that time it looks like Noordam will be the only ship there :D

The largest I have been there on was the Rotterdam. I hope it will not be too overcrowded.

Don't worry about overcrowding. We've been there with 2 HAL ships, one Vista and one not, and it was fine. Lots and lots of loungers available and, the further down the beach you go, almost no one around.

I agree! I have looking at these great photos all day!!! Thanks for sharing! I was not sure if we would rent a Cabana but now I am booking one for sure!!! Now just which one to pick???!!!

Enjoy your day on HMC! :) We picked the #3 (turquoise) because it was closer in and had shade all day. It is hard to choose, but no matter which one you end up with, you'll certainly enjoy the cabana!

It is less crowded the further down you go. However, we've not had loungers in front of out cabana. Here's a picture from #3 while I was standing on the deck area. We've always had a little break in the chairs. I suppose people can move them around, and place them in front of your line of view (of the water), but both times we were in #3 and didn't have chairs directly in front of our cabana.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2047532560104783828MGdRQM

There's a small vehicle that will take you to the cabana. The first time we were there, we used this vehicle, the second time, we just walked. There's also a big bus-type vehicle (it's open-air) that's used for transporting people. The first time we were there we used the smaller vehicle to get to the cabana, and the bigger one to get back to the tender area. This last time we saw the bigger vehicle circling the area while we were out walking around and exploring.

We had a butler, so we had a meal that we had ordered ahead of time. There was a time when the cabana guys would go and get your food for you, but they don't do that anymore, or at least I've not seen them do that anymore. The first time we were there, I had a heck of a time getting around (I have arthritis in my knee), so we booked the butler once we found out the cabana guys no longer go and get the food for you. You can bring it back to your cabana, or you can eat it in one of the covered picnic areas.

Here's the list of colors and numbers according to HAL. HAL doesn't (or they didn't) list the number on their website, only the color. It's confusing at best. There's a great link that shows the cabanas, but the colors that are used are not all correct...or at least they aren't the exact color that HAL uses.

Half Moon Cay Cabanas (the colors HAL uses on their website)

1. Taupe

2. Blue

3. Turquoise There’s a restroom behind the first three cabanas.

4. Orange (one hammock between the orange and sky blue cabana)

5. Sky Blue

6. Purple

7. Peach (one hammock between the peach & pink-closer to peach)

8. Pink (one-maybe two between the pink & eggshell-closer to pink)

9. Eggshell (one hammock on each side of the eggshell-both close to eggshell) There’s a restroom behind the eggshell cabana.

10. Green (3 hammocks centered between the green & gray cabanas)

11. Gray (one hammock -on the yellow side, but close to the gray)

12. Yellow (3 hammocks centered between the yellow and terracotta)

13. Terracotta

14. Red

15. Violet

They are all the same, but a few of them have a couple more steps than others, and some have a shade tree next to them so they get shade. We picked #3 Turquoise because of this...we wanted to have shade all day.

Enjoy!

A little slice of heaven. we rented a Cabana and with it they provided soda/water, chips and salsa, a vege tray with dip and fresh fruit.

Enjoy. :)

IMG_0466.jpg

Thank you, Alphakitty, for the beautiful picture. The far end of the beach in this picture is where NCL had their facilities in the early 1980s. As of our last visit to Half Moon Cay in 2003, one could still see the NCL "ruins" if you walk about 3/4 of a mile down the beach to the left as you get off the tender. NCL pioneered the concept of a private out island as a port of call. At that time, the island was known by its true name, Little San Salvador. We were on the Norway (former SS France) New Year's Cruise in 1980. At one point, HAL purchased the island from NCL and informally named it Half Moon Cay. Out of all the private cruise line islands we have been to, Half Moon Cay (Little San Salvador) was certainly the prettiest.

Archived