Fort Lauderdale Advice

Fawn

We will be going out of Fort Lauderdale on the Freedom...next year, but can't start planning early enough! LOL

Anyway, it's our first time sailing out of FL. My girls and I like to go down a couple days before our cruise, stay at someplace nice with a good pool/restaurant/bar, and leave on our cruise all relaxed! In PC, we love staying at the Radisson which has free shuttles to the port the morning of your cruise.

So, based on what we are looking for, advice on which hotels have a shuttle to the port, are located nicely, good amenities, fun, etc?? Thanks to all!!!

First, when are you going on the Freedom? (Being nosy! We're going April 10, 2010) And, we're looking for the same as you, but, for the day before the cruise. It all depends on what it costs for us. I know there are some great suggestions out there!;)

We're going March 13, 2010! So excited for this itinerary, and so far our roll call is small but looking FUN!

I'm not as concerned about price, bc this is always budgeted for when we plan our cruises!! I hate renting a car if not necessary, so it's nice to stay where there's shops and restaurants nearby. I've never been to FL, so have NO idea on locales!

If you haven't been to Fort Lauderdale before, and are looking for fun, I would suggest that you stay on Fort Lauderdale beach. Bahia Mar and Marriott Courtyard tend to offer the lowest prices in the area and have nice pools. There are no free shuttles, but they are close to the port. There are lots of beach shops and restaurants in walking distance. I think it's chilly at night on the beach, but tourists don't seem to mind.

We have stayed at the Embassy Suites a couple times and just loved it. The rooms are large, and they have a happy hour and breakfast. There is a lot really close, so there is no need for a car rental. Plus the trolley and water taxi are both close. They will get you anywhere.

There is a link somewhere that can get you a discount on the room if you join the hilton honors club. We saved over $40 a night by doing this.

claudia

Does anyone have any advice for parking? Any hotels that offer parking in their rate or am I better off getting an inexpensive hotel and park at the terminal?

I believe that LaQuinta in Hollywood offers free cruise parking and free shuttles to/from airport/cruiseport. It is moderately priced.

• 1 month later...
If you haven't been to Fort Lauderdale before, and are looking for fun, I would suggest that you stay on Fort Lauderdale beach. Bahia Mar and Marriott Courtyard tend to offer the lowest prices in the area and have nice pools. There are no free shuttles, but they are close to the port. There are lots of beach shops and restaurants in walking distance. I think it's chilly at night on the beach, but tourists don't seem to mind.

Is that courtyard Fort Lauderdale East, would you know?

We have stayed at the Embassy Suites a couple times and just loved it. The rooms are large, and they have a happy hour and breakfast. There is a lot really close, so there is no need for a car rental. Plus the trolley and water taxi are both close. They will get you anywhere.

There is a link somewhere that can get you a discount on the room if you join the hilton honors club. We saved over $40 a night by doing this.

claudia

Looks nice...is this the Embassy Suites 17th Street? Just checking!

Is there a liquor store within walking distance? Market? TIA!

OK, looks like the following. Bahia Mar and Embassy Suites are same price with breakfast included...suite versus one room, but room has a balcony. How big are the rooms at Bahia Mar? Marriott is about 50 more for a reg room, no balcony...100 for a suite, no balcony.

Location? Who is easiest access to port? Who is closest to several restaurants? Liquor store/market? How far are they from FL airport?

Restaurants? Who has nicest restaurants at hotel?

Pool/Beach? Looks like Bahia Mar is on beach, Marriott across from beach, Embassy not on beach...is that right? How about the pools...any comparisons?

I know...I overthink these things! LOL

Looks nice...is this the Embassy Suites 17th Street? Just checking!

Is there a liquor store within walking distance? Market? TIA!

Yes, Embassy Suites is on 17th street. There is a shopping center a block behind the hotel with an excellent liquor/wine store, grocery store and other stores. Some restaurants, also. There is a good seafood/steak restaurant directly across the street from Embassy Suites on the front (north) side. Short taxi ride to the pier. Within walking distance of the water taxis. Trolley bus has pickup station in the shopping center behind the hotel. Hotel pool is heated, and very nice. We always stay here when we are in Ft. Lauderdale pre-cruise.

Hypo

ok, looks like the following. Bahia mar and embassy suites are same price with breakfast included...suite versus one room, but room has a balcony. How big are the rooms at bahia mar? Marriott is about 50 more for a reg room, no balcony...100 for a suite, no balcony.

Location? Who is easiest access to port? Who is closest to several restaurants? Liquor store/market? How far are they from fl airport?

Pool/beach? Looks like bahia mar is on beach, marriott across from beach, embassy not on beach...is that right? How about the pools...any comparisons?

I know...i overthink these things! Lol

Embassy is closer to the port and airport, but bahia mar is less than 2 miles further. Embassy is 2-3 miles from the airport and a few blocks from the port entrance. You have to get transportation anyway. Embassy is closer to restaurants, but you can walk to many restaurants from bahia mar if you can walk 1-6 blocks. There are restaurants in both hotels, but i don't know how they are or the hours. There is a very casual outdoor restaurant at the bahia cabana next door on the marina, which i like. Embassy is next to a liquor store and supermarket. Marriot and bahia mar are across the street from the beach. If you want to stay on the beach near the port, check out the lago mar and harbor beach marriott, but they are expensive resorts and are not really walkable to anything outside, by most people's standards. I don't know anything about the pools, but i think the marriot courtyard has a really cool pool deck.

Embassy Suites has a full breakfast buffet and a managers reception in the evening with free drinks. We loved it there. I checked prices for an Oct 31 cruise and they want 300 bucks a night ! Not sure what's up with that. When we stayed 2 years ago we got it for 109.00 a night. We are Hilton members too.

OK, looks like the following. Bahia Mar and Embassy Suites are same price with breakfast included...suite versus one room, but room has a balcony. How big are the rooms at Bahia Mar? Marriott is about 50 more for a reg room, no balcony...100 for a suite, no balcony.

Location? Who is easiest access to port? Who is closest to several restaurants? Liquor store/market? How far are they from FL airport?

Pool/Beach? Looks like Bahia Mar is on beach, Marriott across from beach, Embassy not on beach...is that right? How about the pools...any comparisons?

I know...I overthink these things! LOL

Bahia Mar no contest between the two because who wants to stay inland when you can stay on the beach?

Did you look at the Courtyard Marriot Fort Lauderdale Beach?

Archived