best travel purse?

My daughter and I are headed to Europe next week. What purse have you found best (safest) for your trip/excursions? I need to keep the important things close at hand but don't want to be lugging a giant purse everywhere. I was looking at the LeSport sacs and they seem pretty cute/small - across the body type. Any advice ladies? :)

There is really no "best", just keep it small and cross-body and keep it tucked under your arm.

I have a microfiber bag I like, a Hobo bag: http://www.hobobags.com/Roundtrip/pd/c/38/np/38/p/1153.html

Pacsafe makes a slingsafe: http://www.coloradobaggage.com/cbc/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=PacSafe+Slingsafe+200+With+Exomesh+%2D+Taupe&pf_id=PAOHIDNBLNOOKKEJ&dept_id=11509&mscssid=20Q22N3K91VT9LHDAWJN60JX0B500439

Or a small leather or nylon bag will be fine. Don't keep all your cash or passport in this bag, keep those undercover in a neck/waist safe: http://www.coloradobaggage.com/cbc/product.asp?dept_id=98&pf_id=PAOHIDMMCAHJLNCC&ad_id=googlebase&key_id=EagleCreekUnderCoverSilkNeckPouch

In the past when traveling, I used the same purse for walking around - my $10 NY & Company small zip up. Now, I'll typically use anything similar that has a zipper (this is a must for me), is small, and that has straps to put on my shoulder. I would def not use a backpack, though. Have a GREAT time in Europe!!

I definitely recommend this one that was suggested above for the really important things that you don't want someone grabbing off of you. You wear it under your clothes where it can't be seen. You can then use a little larger cross-body purse for the less important things and small amounts of cash that you want more accessible or need more room for.

We also make copies of all of our documents, passports, credit cards, insurance, etc. We put one set of the copies in a separate but safe place, and leave another copy at home with family. Fortunately we've never needed them, but it take away a little bit of stress about the idea of losing stuff!

I use this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VERA-BRADLEY-ESPRESSO-BROWN-MICROFIBER-LIL'-HIPSTER-New_W0QQitemZ260330986958QQcmdZViewItem

I got mine from ebags, but it looks like they don't have it anymore.

Here's another nice one http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.CM_SCID.coll.item.A81707.desc.Tignanello-Pebble-Leather-Crossbody-Organizer-Bag-w-Key-Fob

If I didn't already have the Vera Bradley one, I'd get this one. I love it!

http://www.coloradobaggage.com/cbc/p...JN60JX0B500439 - sorry the photo did not come up this time. It's the small beige Pacsafe purse.

Peaches, I have this purse and I absolutely HATE it. It was the worst travel purchase I have made. I wound up buying a new purse for E10 in Barcelona that I used after the 2nd day.

This purse is so hard to get into yourself, nevermind a pickpocket. It is very small, tight and not convenient. It is defintely overkill in my opinion. As long as you have a purse that you can wear over your neck across your chest and keep track of it, that is a good travel purse IMO.

http://www.coloradobaggage.com/cbc/p...JN60JX0B500439 - sorry the photo did not come up this time. It's the small beige Pacsafe purse.

Peaches, I have this purse and I absolutely HATE it. It was the worst travel purchase I have made. I wound up buying a new purse for E10 in Barcelona that I used after the 2nd day.

This purse is so hard to get into yourself, nevermind a pickpocket. It is very small, tight and not convenient. It is defintely overkill in my opinion. As long as you have a purse that you can wear over your neck across your chest and keep track of it, that is a good travel purse IMO.

That's good to know. We carry them for sale, I don't have one and have not heard any feedback. It is small, there is one a little larger that is the same design, we do sell quite a few of those.

Personal experience is always the best testament. I have the Hobo bag and really like it a lot, I also have the undercover silk passport/money holder, but I have the waist one, not the around the neck type.

My daughter and I are headed to Europe next week. What purse have you found best (safest) for your trip/excursions? I need to keep the important things close at hand but don't want to be lugging a giant purse everywhere. I was looking at the LeSport sacs and they seem pretty cute/small - across the body type. Any advice ladies? :)

Hi, I have one by LeSport and I love it:D...it is nylon so its

VERY lightweight and it has alot of pockets on the inside:).

They have a website and you can see lots of different sizes

with different lengths straps. Many of them are crossbody

bags which is fantastic for excursions:)

Here is the link:

http://www.lesportsac.com/

Thanks to all for the suggestions! I am also looking at a LeSportsac or a Kavu purse but it sounds like anything cross body with zippers is good for excursions. Our TA gave us little neckpouch things for our passports so that will help too.

I have a Travelon bag from QVC that I always use for travel. I would post a link if I knew how :o, but if you go to QVC.com and search for Travelon, you'll find some good choices. Mine is an expandable leather crossbody bag. I like that it has lots of secure compartments, especially one in the back of the bag, so it's right against your body. Happy shopping and enjoy your trip!

I have a Travelon bag from QVC that I always use for travel. I would post a link if I knew how :o, but if you go to QVC.com and search for Travelon, you'll find some good choices. Mine is an expandable leather crossbody bag. I like that it has lots of secure compartments, especially one in the back of the bag, so it's right against your body. Happy shopping and enjoy your trip!

I also have that travelon bag. I like its features, but I wish that it wasn't so open on the top--a zipper across the opening would help. A lot of the reviews said if you even bend over stuff falls out. So I've never used it.

I used a Coach swingpack on our recent trip to Italy. It has a magnetic clasp flap, a zippered top and a zippered side pocket that lies flat against the body. I kept my passport, credit cards and cash in there. The small camera and my glasses went in the top-zip compartment and Kleenex & chapstick went in the flap pocket. It has a long strap that can go across the body. I kept one hand on it at all times.

DH uses one of those waist bags. The result was that I paid for everything because it was too awkward for him to dig in there to get out a credit card or cash.:rolleyes:

I have a small purse that I bought at Wal-mart a few years ago. Its great to travel with because it is small, but has a long strap. I can put it over my head on the other side of my shoulder so it does not slide off or someone grabs it. You might want to check out Walmart to see what they might have. It has 3 different zippered pockets to put stuff in. Also once in awhile I use a fanny pack. They are good too. Only problem is with them I can' really put alot of stuff I might need into them. Hope this helps.

DD and I were just having this discussion today and went shopping for a cross body bag.

I think I am going to have a hard time finding what I want. I want one where it is a little larger and just one big ole' section. Kinda like a sling purse with a long strap. I can't seem to find them anywhere.

I need to put my camera bag in it, cases for sunglasses, DH stuff, DD stuff, water bottles, you know, the bag that is the catch all.

Any website suggestions? I hope to find something at the stores once they all go on summer clearance.

Headed to Europe too next year!

REI also has some great bags. I have the Overland Donner bag which is a favorite of the Disney travelers on the DIS boards. It has a large middle pocket, flap outside and 2 water bottle/umbrella pockets. It has a long enough strap for cross body. The only drawback, is that some of these types of bags can get heavy when filled. These are listed in the "shoulder bags" category on rei.com.

*just noticed, check the clearance/sale section and you can find previous colors on sale.

bear in mind a purse in the UK is a small thing for putting coins and notes in. What you will be using is a bag or handbag. I know we are a peculier lot here.

If you say you have mislaid your purse everybody will be looking for a tiny thing.

DD and I were just having this discussion today and went shopping for a cross body bag.

I think I am going to have a hard time finding what I want. I want one where it is a little larger and just one big ole' section. Kinda like a sling purse with a long strap. I can't seem to find them anywhere.

I need to put my camera bag in it, cases for sunglasses, DH stuff, DD stuff, water bottles, you know, the bag that is the catch all.

Any website suggestions? I hope to find something at the stores once they all go on summer clearance.

Headed to Europe too next year!

The small sling (at least I think that was what Moondawgie mentioned) is small, but Pacsafe does have a larger purse available that you might look at. I've linked the taupe just for ease of viewing, it does come in black and red as well. We sell a lot of these bags for travel.

http://www.coloradobaggage.com/cbc/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=PacSafe+City+Safe+100+Secure+Hand+Bag+with+Exomesh+%2D+Taupe&pf_id=PAOHIDLLLFJJKADK&dept_id=11509&mscssid=20Q22N3K91VT9LHDAWJN60JX0B500439

Another thought, my mom just bought a cute little LeSportSac for travel. It is the small cross body north/south shape with lots of zippers. It must measure about 6x9 inches or so. Perfect for just keeping a small camera and a couple of credit cards and cash. They have them at various outlets for reasonable prices. They are also very light weight and semi-washable.

Did Eastern Mediterrean last December, I used a little Sport Sac bag (it always travels with me) you can put quite a bit of "stuff" in there and it fits nicely over your shoulder and under your arm, which I believe is a deterrent for pickpockets (yes there are pickpockets in Europe). Enjoy your trip:)

bear in mind a purse in the UK is a small thing for putting coins and notes in. What you will be using is a bag or handbag. I know we are a peculier lot here.

If you say you have mislaid your purse everybody will be looking for a tiny thing.

That's great to know for visiting the UK, but around here, a handbag is commonly referred to as a purse. They are used interchangeably here. FYI.:)

The small sling (at least I think that was what Moondawgie mentioned) is small, but Pacsafe does have a larger purse available that you might look at. I've linked the taupe just for ease of viewing, it does come in black and red as well. We sell a lot of these bags for travel.

http://www.coloradobaggage.com/cbc/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=PacSafe+City+Safe+100+Secure+Hand+Bag+with+Exomesh+%2D+Taupe&pf_id=PAOHIDLLLFJJKADK&dept_id=11509&mscssid=20Q22N3K91VT9LHDAWJN60JX0B500439

That is something similar to what I am thinking of, but think it may still be too small. I have a larger camera - not a point and click one. I am not sure if it will fit in there. Guess I need to measure the camera huh?

I can't believe it. I found a bag I like. Very similar to what I was looking for. One main compartment with just 2 small sections for a phone or whatever. The front outside has 2 zipper pockets and the main pocket has a zipper too. The strap is adjustable for shoulder length or cross over. It is a bright yellow LOL and brown. Made by Nine and Co by Nine West.

Found it at Kohls on clearance. Normally over $60 and got it for $20. I think it will work perfectly. I put my camera in it and it fits with room to spare. Wasn't even looking for it.

When you least expect it......

I can't believe it. I found a bag I like. Very similar to what I was looking for. One main compartment with just 2 small sections for a phone or whatever. The front outside has 2 zipper pockets and the main pocket has a zipper too. The strap is adjustable for shoulder length or cross over. It is a bright yellow LOL and brown. Made by Nine and Co by Nine West.

Found it at Kohls on clearance. Normally over $60 and got it for $20. I think it will work perfectly. I put my camera in it and it fits with room to spare. Wasn't even looking for it.

When you least expect it......

Ain't that the truth;)

Archived