seattle vs vancouver

hairbflo

can anybody please tell me on a rountrip Alaska cruise is leaving from Seattle or Vancouver better? Is it worth the extra money to start from vancouver rather than saving a few dollars by starting in Seattle. we aare planning our first Alaska cruise and are curious which is better.

We just disembarked the Volendam in Vancouver, and spend one week post-cruise in Vancouver. Its a vibrant city with plenty to see and do, especially as they gear up for 2010 Winter Olympics. Plus there's lots of inexpensive restaurants.

Vancouver has an excellent public transportation system. Right outside the port, you can take the ferry across the harbor to North Vancouver. It only costs CAN$2.50 one way, or CAN$9.00 for an all day pass (ferry, buses, and skytrain).

We went to Stanley Park, the Gastown, the IMAX 3D theatre (also right at the Canada Place pier), Vancouver Art Gallery ("Vermeer, Rembrant and the Golden Age of Dutch Art" exhibit), Metrotown Centre, Queen Elizabeth Park, Museum of Anthropology at University of BC, Chinatown, Granville Island, Steveston Village, and window shopping on Robson Street.

One day we took a float plane to Victoria to visit Butchard Gardens.

While we've also been to Seattle (Pike Place Market does not compare with Granville Island), we would choose Vancouver.

Woody

While I totally agree about the scenery being much better out of Vancouver--in fact, there is no comparison at all--there is something else to consider. Itinerary and port stops.

I haven't looked at the Alaska cruise schedules this season, so it may not be an issue, but, last year we wanted to go to Hubbard Glacier and Sitka vs. Glacier Bay and Skagway. (We had been to the other places on a previous cruise out of Vancouver.) The cruise that had our desired itinerary left from Seattle, so we chose Seattle.

Either way, you are going to LOVE your Alaska cruise!

Sheri

I agree with GordonS. It's more important to look at the itinerary and port stops when considering Seattle vs. Vancouver departures. We just got back from our Alaskan cruise, and the decision to leave from Seattle was because of the itinerary.

thanks for the info. sounds like leaving from vancouver is going to be worth the higher airline prices from florida as apposed to flying to seattle.

I think HAL offer transfers to/from Seattle Airport to the Vancouver cruise terminal. Although I'm not sure if a 4+ hours coach transfer would outweigh the cost of flying into Vancouver. If HAL do not to them anymore there are other companies available.

Another vote for the Vancouver departure. I've done four Alaska cruises that either left from, or returned to Vancouver (or both), as well as two other cruises that left from Vancouver.

The scenery to/from Alaska is spectacular! It's hard to find time to come in to change for dinner, as I never wanted to leave my deck chair. It was that beautiful.

The water is pretty smooth, too. ;)

Any extra time you can spend in Vancouver is well-worth it. It's a world-class city.

One point to remember!!!

If you sail out of Seattle, you will have to stop off in Victoria or another Canadian port due to US law. You might not have as many Alaskan ports since you will have to have time to stop into one Canadian port!!

David

Just a note that if it's cheaper to fly to Seattle *and* you want the inside passage, there are other cruiselines that do that route.

I'm not knocking HAL - I haven't sailed on it yet (August!) and won't name other cruise lines on this particular board, but you do have other options. :)

I'm be sailing out of Vancouver on Ryndam in a few weeks on a B2B.

Be prepared for delays caused by lineups. If you fly into YVR Vancouver from the U.S., you must go through Canadian Customs/Immigration. Then, when boarding the ship, you must go through U.S. Customs. Repeat on the return trip. Also, flight check in for an international flight is longer than a domestic one - 2 hours, in general.

The only reason this is noteworthy is you must book your flight times with these waits in mind. For example, when debarking the ship, I was advised my 12:30 p.m. same day flight might be too tight. Now I'm flying in the day before, and flying out the day after my cruise. You may want to do the same, and consider it part of the cruise cost from Vancouver.

Postscript: U.S. Direct is a baggage service for U.S. citizens that can speed you on your way when debarking the ship. Not all airlines qualify, and there have been some glitches this summer. As a Canadian citizen, I don't qualify, so my wait time may be longer than yours, assuming you do qualify.

Any extra time you can spend in Vancouver is well-worth it. It's a world-class city.

It certainly is. See this report on the world's most livable cities. Vancouver came in 2nd after Venice....

Totally off topic, but Melbourne came in 3rd :p...

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,28318,25608641-5014090,00.html

:D:D:D

Have to throw in my two cents worth - having done both Seattle and Vancouver I would never again go out of Seattle - the scenery and seas are so much better out of Vancouver - and there are different ports available on different cruise lines out of VAncouver as well - including different options for round trips and one ways or B2B's - it is definitely worth the port hassle and extra money to go out of Vancouver!!

YaYa

Fly to Seattle anyhow and take the shuttle to Vancouver, Cheaper. Or do what I used to do when I spent the winters in Florida Book through Amtrack, 4 day train and boy it's a blast, about 1/2 the price of flying return. If you have got the time. Used to book coach on trian for cheaper price then upgrade to Sleeper on board. Only one time wasnt able to get sleeper from Seatle to Chicago. Oh by the way once you have sleeper restivations your meals on train are included. Just about has good has the meals on board a cruise.

Recently returned from Seattle after after a week-long cruise. Also sailed from Vancouver 3 years ago. Each city has much to offer and I was impressed with both. Hard to choose but Vancouver would get my vote especially with the dollar exchange rate about 10 percent in our favor. Either way you cannot lose..have fun!

"Crusing is the ONLY way to Fly"

Just a note that if it's cheaper to fly to Seattle *and* you want the inside passage, there are other cruiselines that do that route

i was told that HAL is the only cruise line that has the permits to go inside glacier national park. that is why I was only looking at them instead of others

Just a note that if it's cheaper to fly to Seattle *and* you want the inside passage, there are other cruiselines that do that route

i was told that HAL is the only cruise line that has the permits to go inside glacier national park. that is why I was only looking at them instead of others

NCL (the line that we went on) does go into Glacier Bay. Looking at the map, they do hit the outside (Pacific side) of Vancouver Island - but hit the Inside Passage route further North. That might not be quite what you're looking for in that case.

Either way, Alaska is beautiful and you'll have a great time!

Hairbflo, HAL is one of the lines which has the MOST admissions to Glacier Bay, but as OtterGal notes, not the ONLY one.

This 2009 season other ships which visit are: Pacific Princess 14 day round trip out of Seattle; Diamond Princess one way 7 day north out of Vancouver or south out of Whittier; Sapphire Princess one way 7 day north out of Vancouver, or south out of Whittier; Coral Princess one way north out of Vancouver, or south out of Whittier; Island Princess one way north out of Vancouver, or south out of Whittier; Carnival Spirit September 9 departure only 7 day round trip out of Vancouver.

So, if you were looking for a 7 day cruise that returns to the original port, HAL has almost a monopoly on that, except for Carnival Spirit, at least for this season.

Norwegian Cruise Lines doesn't visit Glacier Bay in the 2009 season. They return to that route in 2010 with Norwegian Pearl, 7 day returns out of Seattle. In 2010, there are 10 day returns out of San Francisco on Sea Princess.

thanks for the info. sounds like leaving from vancouver is going to be worth the higher airline prices from florida as apposed to flying to seattle.

We flew to Seattle the night before and took a bus chartered by the cruise company (was not HAL) to Vancouver the morning of the sailing.

Archived