Alaska coupon book

bluenoser2

I went to the website for the Alaska coupon book that I've heard about on these threads, and it mentioned that it was available in the embarkation ports like Seattle, Seward and Whittier. Does that mean it is NOT available when we embark in Vancouver? Is it available in Ketchikan when we get off the ship there?

We picked up a free Alaska coupon book at Canada Place in Vancouver. There was a big display with them. The only coupon we used was for fudge in Skagway, but they did have quite a few discounts with purchase types of things. You won't save a ton of money, but every little bit helps. I left our book in the cabin when we left for the next occupants (if the steward didn't dispose of it).

This is the response I got from an email I sent to Destination Alaska:

Thank you for your interest in Destination Alaska! You are correct that our book is not available in the port at Vancouver—only in the US Direct Cruise Ship Lounge at the airport. While I am not set up currently for credit card charges, I have sent in a request to have someone look into this for me since we are having more Canadian cruisers requesting our book. As soon as I hear back from our accounting personnel, I will get back in touch with you. As a heads up, the shipping for the flat rate international service for one to two books is $15.95 to cover the shipping and handling, and the transit time for the international flat rate service is 6 – 10 days. As I said earlier, I will get back to you to let you know of a payment option if you would like to place an order.

And this is the response I sent back:

While I do thank you for your response, you do realize that a $15.95 charge for shipping a $5.00 coupon book is ridiculous, right? Hopefully, you can rectify this with your accounting personnel. There are a great many Canadian cruisers who would definitely frequent many Alaskan stores....... but none of us are fools. Perhaps your company needs to rethink the Vancouver port plan.

Sincerely, and truthfully I do appreciate your awkward position in this matter,

are these at the cruise terminal or at the airport? thanks.

Just returned from Alaska, they were handing them out (free) to each person as we entered the Canada Place cruise terminal in Vancouver. Then we found them again in Whittier in a rack next to tour information stuff.

Thanks for your help everyone - I'll keep my eyes peeled for them at Canada Place - Whittier is going to be too late for most of it! I should go back. We fly out to Vancouver tomorrow. My suitcase is out but empty....yikes!

Thanks for your help everyone - I'll keep my eyes peeled for them at Canada Place - Whittier is going to be too late for most of it! I should go back. We fly out to Vancouver tomorrow. My suitcase is out but empty....yikes!

We used alot of the coupons, mostly for souvenirs for the grandkids. Make a purchase (anything, like a postcard) and get a Alaska hat free, free coins, free Alaska candy, etc. Also discounts on rainjackets, etc. Oh, also free charm bracelet, you had to go to several stores to get. Really cute with charms of Alaska. My grandaughter loved it.

Enjoy your cruise, it is really beautiful and hopefully we will go again.

• 2 weeks later...

I posted the following as a separate thread, but it was removed by the powers that be :rolleyes: (threads about trays can go on for decades though!!) Heaven forbid we praise someone!! :confused:

My husband and I are doing a b2b on the HAL Ryndam to Alaska leaving from Vancouver at the end of July. When I went to the Destination Alaska website I learned that unless you are a U.S. Direct customer, the coupon books are not available in Vancouver. The website states that for a $5.00 cheque you can order a coupon book to be delivered to your home. I emailed the company and explained that since we are Canadian, I don't have U.S.$ cheques and asked if either Paypal or a credit card would do. A very polite representative responded that because of the overpriced international shipping it would be $15.95 for a coupon book :eek:. Obviously I responded that $15.95 for a $5.00 book is ridiculously overpriced! I was very polite in my emails, but my point was clear.

To make a very long story short, the president of the company responded in two separate emails and resolved the situation in a very honorable and wise fashion. Today I received the Destination Alaska coupon book. It was mailed to me on the "honor" system and I was asked to send $5.00 in either Canadian or U.S. funds to the original representative. No shipping charges whatsoever! :) The $5.00 U.S.$ owed will be in the mail tomorrow!!

My new post about this matter was to praise the Destination Alaska company on their business practices. That post was removed. :confused:

Hopefully this one will be allowed! :rolleyes:

Archived