Live Review of Prince Albert Hamburg - Longyearbyen

Drew358

Just a brief background, this is our first Silversea cruise although we've been on about 9 cruises in the past - all with mass market ships (2000 plus passengers). We are 30 years old, and wanted to try something different, so here we are.

The cruise so far has been great, there have been some downsides, but overall the staff has been excellent. The trip started out with a very rough day at sea. Despite the stabilizers being out all day, the ship still rolled quite a bit and a lot of people were sea sick, including us.

The ship itself is in great shape, although some of the larger suites are not in great shape. We are in cabin 406, and despite the diagram, it's not larger then the other rooms in the same category.

The food has been the biggest let down. Although it has been quite good, I think we've had better meals on Celebrity. The service has been outstanding, however. I don't eat beef, so I've been eating mostly fish and vegetarian, and haven't been too thrilled. The soups have been okay - not great as well. I may have come in with higher expectations, so this may have led to some of my dissapointment. I realize there are much more limitations with the kitchen because of the small size of the ship.

The staff/officers eat with the passengers for lunch and dinner in the main resturant, which is a really nice touch. They are all very social and it's been a pleasure to dine with many of them. The ship itself is only about half full, and it is a very international group of people.

If anyone is interested, I'll continue to keep updates as I bought way too many internet minutes. Please feel free to ask any questions, I'll try my best to answer them.

I'd love to read about your voyage and any of the visits off the boat you do. Shame about the food though as I don't eat any red meat either! We are going next June in one of the cabins with the port holes. Have you heard anything about how basic they are from anyone? Enjoy your holiday and thank you for your comments.

Hi Drew,

Keep the posts coming, any info is appreciated as only now through CC we are getting anything other than the SS own info.

Sorry to hear the food is not as expected as this is something I look forward to.:( Keep us posted on it.

How full is the ship, let us know your itinery and about any shore excursions please.

thanks maddie.

I apologize if some of my sentences are not complete, I was hoping to wirte everything on Word and then copy it, but the computer won't let you do this without using your internet minutes.

I saw a lot of the cabins during embarkation, and the cabins with the portholes are fine. I don't think it makes too much sense to spend more money on a larger cabin on this ship, as it's so small. The bathrooms are quite large in all cabins with a full tub and the beds are very comfy.

We crossed into the arctic a little while ago and a whale was breaching just as we crossed, it was amazing. They had a deck party with music and drinks and the cruise director got shoved into the hot tub by the captain. The weather is fantastic over the last couple of days, very sunny and around 50 degrees.

I made a video of the zodiacs and people getting on/off during pretty rough conditions earlier in the trip. I'll try to post a link when the cruise is over.

I wouldn't say the food is bad, just not excellent, but it may be different for other people as it's a very subjective topic. I'll post more later, if you have any other questions, let me know...

Hi Drew,

Thanks, it's so much fun reading about it knowing you are still on the Ship! And thanks for the positive comment about the porthole cabins. Interested in people's footwear for the Zodiacs. Have people taken their own wellies or are they using the boats supply. Or don't you need them for your trip?

Keep enjoying

Thanks for the posts. I am sure the small ship is allowing for seeing some of the most amazing things. That does limit the dining, too, and it is a shame in that regard that this is your first Silversea cruise, as it will affect your opinion of them in that regard.

I am anxious to hear as much as you want to write and hope you are feeling a lot better.

I apologize if some of my sentences are not complete, I was hoping to wirte everything on Word and then copy it, but the computer won't let you do this without using your internet minutes.

I saw a lot of the cabins during embarkation, and the cabins with the portholes are fine. I don't think it makes too much sense to spend more money on a larger cabin on this ship, as it's so small. The bathrooms are quite large in all cabins with a full tub and the beds are very comfy.

We crossed into the arctic a little while ago and a whale was breaching just as we crossed, it was amazing. They had a deck party with music and drinks and the cruise director got shoved into the hot tub by the captain. The weather is fantastic over the last couple of days, very sunny and around 50 degrees.

I made a video of the zodiacs and people getting on/off during pretty rough conditions earlier in the trip. I'll try to post a link when the cruise is over.

I wouldn't say the food is bad, just not excellent, but it may be different for other people as it's a very subjective topic. I'll post more later, if you have any other questions, let me know...

We are about to book the PA II for next June so the first-hand impressions are great to have.

I'd love to read about your voyage and any of the visits off the boat you do. Shame about the food though as I don't eat any red meat either! We are going next June in one of the cabins with the port holes. Have you heard anything about how basic they are from anyone? Enjoy your holiday and thank you for your comments.

We are looking at a porthole cabin next June as well and are glad to have the positive feedback.

I think one of the biggest misconceptions one can make when booking the PAII is to mistake this expedition ship for a cruise ship. Silversea has upped the luxury ante in this area but the primary purpose of the PAII is to go on expeditions. Therefore some off the other niceties we have come to expect will necessarily be affected. Food is probably the most obvious. I think a mored fair comparison would be to other expedition ships rather than other Silversea ships.

Thank you for posting while on board. I wanted to ask you a question regarding your stateroom #406. I notice that on the deck plan it indicates Explorer Class staterooms have a square footage range of 185-275 sq ft. From the diagrams I too would assume that #406 would be the larger at 275 sq ft. Am I to understand that it is not and that its the same size as others in this class of accommodation. If so ,do you know which explorer cabin has the extra space? If you have had rough seas can you please tell me how the ship movement affects you at that location as opposed to a mid-ship location.

With regards to food are you comments concerning the quality or the selection offered? I would expect a limited offering of food but was hoping the quality would match Silversea's reputation.

Looking forward to reading your future posts on PAII. Thanks for getting to my questions when you can. I appreciate it.

Thanks for posting.

1. Can you confirm that the internet lowest available minute plan is $45.00 for 100 minutes (that is what I was told). Where are the WiFi spots?

2. Also, confirm they added a do-it-yourself laundry and the hours, if any?

3. Is the gym open 24/7, and is there only one treadmill?

4. Where is the outside space located? (I understand there is no wraparound deck).

5. Is there a photo coach on board?

6. I was told some expeditions have a videographer who than sells the DVD at the end. Is this the case on your cruise?

Sorry to hear about the food. You can judge a Chef by his soaps. It really shouldn't be any different than other SilverSeas ships. Btw, we eat beef but no fish. (Btw, the food was very average on our Celebrity Cruise but pretty good on HAL).

Is your cruise sold out?

I would be very grateful if you could clarify your comment that the larger suites are not in good shape. As noted in my separate posting, I am considering booking a Silver Suite (2 rooms with 2 french balconies) and wonder if these are the suites you are referring to. Many thanks

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide a live review.

What a magical experience to have a whale breaching as you crossed the Arctic Circle. Pleased to hear that you've had fantastic weather.

(We also had beautiful sunny weather in May, when we did our Norwegian Coastal Voyage from Bergen to Kirkenes.)

• I'd be interested in hearing whether the itinerary lived up to your expectations and your wildlife viewing experiences.
  • Do let us know if the food improves, especially the soups, which should be delicious always, even under limited cooking conditions.

Is your cruise sold out?

Jade - From Original Post

The ship itself is only about half full, and it is a very international group of people.

(Looks like you're a speed reader like I am.)

Lovely to see some posts about PAII.

You must be getting excited, as you don't have long to go until your cruise.

Jade - From Original Post

The ship itself is only about half full, and it is a very international group of people.

(Looks like you're a speed reader like I am.)

Lovely to see some posts about PAII.

You must be getting excited, as you don't have long to go until your cruise.

I was speed reading and yes I finally purchased some books (including Arctic Dreams) which I hope to read before I leave. I am getting excited.

Where are you going next?

I was speed reading and yes I finally purchased some books (including Arctic Dreams) which I hope to read before I leave. I am getting excited.

Where are you going next?

Enjoy reading Arctic Dreams to set the scene for your adventure.

I'm not sure, as I'd be cruising on my own this year, and I'm still adjusting to the concept, and cost, of single supplements.

It will depend on getting a deal I can't resist, with a reasonable single supplement.

Otherwise it will be land content, as air fares from Australia are the cheapest they've been for years, with competition at last on the Pacific route.

Hi Mike,

We're booked on the 7 night round trip from Longyearbyen next June. In an Adventurer Class Cabin with the portholes. Told we were 3rd of the 6 cabins in that range to be booked. Reading all the comments is making me wish we were going this year!

Nice to finally get more information.

My questions:

Where are the common viewing areas and is it sufficient?

How are people dressing for dinner?

Would also like clarification on your comment about the larger suites not in great condition.

Do the expedition staff seem well trained and knowledgeable?

Thanks.

Thank you for posting while on board. I wanted to ask you a question regarding your stateroom #406. I notice that on the deck plan it indicates Explorer Class staterooms have a square footage range of 185-275 sq ft. From the diagrams I too would assume that #406 would be the larger at 275 sq ft. Am I to understand that it is not and that its the same size as others in this class of accommodation. If so ,do you know which explorer cabin has the extra space? If you have had rough seas can you please tell me how the ship movement affects you at that location as opposed to a mid-ship location.

With regards to food are you comments concerning the quality or the selection offered? I would expect a limited offering of food but was hoping the quality would match Silversea's reputation.

Looking forward to reading your future posts on PAII. Thanks for getting to my questions when you can. I appreciate it.

The cabin that should be 275 sq. feet should be our cabin. The brochure is incorrect. I looked at the diagram of the ship in the bridge and none of the Explorer cabins look to be that size. They did a dry dock earlier this year which may have reconfigured the size of some of the cabins, but 406 is definitely not 275 sq. feet like we thought it would be.

Conrad, the excursion leader (cruise director) has an odd shaped cabin on our deck, and that is the only cabin that may be a bit bigger because of the layout, but it's not available to the general public.

Thanks for posting.

1. Can you confirm that the internet lowest available minute plan is $45.00 for 100 minutes (that is what I was told). Where are the WiFi spots?

2. Also, confirm they added a do-it-yourself laundry and the hours, if any?

3. Is the gym open 24/7, and is there only one treadmill?

4. Where is the outside space located? (I understand there is no wraparound deck).

5. Is there a photo coach on board?

6. I was told some expeditions have a videographer who than sells the DVD at the end. Is this the case on your cruise?

Sorry to hear about the food. You can judge a Chef by his soaps. It really shouldn't be any different than other SilverSeas ships. Btw, we eat beef but no fish. (Btw, the food was very average on our Celebrity Cruise but pretty good on HAL).

Is your cruise sold out?

Here it goes...

You can buy 1000 minutes which costs .25 per minute, 250 for .34 per minute, and 100 for .45 per minute.

They installed the washer and dryer on our trip. I sort of finished the hook up by plugging them in, as I needed to do some laundry. They are located by the beauty salon.

The gym is small, hours are posted from 6:30 - 8:00 PM, but we've used it until 9:00 PM without a problem. They have a treadmill, bike, elliptec glider, some free weights, and a universal machine.

Most outdoor space is located at the back of the ship, there is some at the front as well. It is possible to walk around the deck outside, but it's a bit cumbersome, with the weird angles.

There is a "famous" photographer making a video onboard. Her work is really great.

Our ship is half full, and there are quite a number of travel agents onboard.

I would be very grateful if you could clarify your comment that the larger suites are not in good shape. As noted in my separate posting, I am considering booking a Silver Suite (2 rooms with 2 french balconies) and wonder if these are the suites you are referring to. Many thanks

The larger suites are fine, but they are not in great shape. I saw a number of them where trim was a little off, but overall it's more nit - picking then any real problems with the larger rooms. The ship is so small, that larger rooms really don't seem that necessary.

Nice to finally get more information.

My questions:

Where are the common viewing areas and is it sufficient?

How are people dressing for dinner?

Would also like clarification on your comment about the larger suites not in great condition.

Do the expedition staff seem well trained and knowledgeable?

Thanks.

The viewing areas are more then efficient, at least on our trip as the ship is only half full. There is a lot of deck space on the 6th and 7th deck of the ship

People dress very differently for dinner, but overall it's very casual with the exception of the "casually elegant" dinners where most men where at least a jacket.

The bigger suites are fine, but again don't seem to be worth the investment, at least in my opinion. Some people may be more private and like the bigger rooms, but they seem to have small issues. We know a couple that have had the water from their shower leak all over the floor in their bathroom because the rubber wasn't installed well at the base of the shower (the larger rooms have a shower and bathtub).

Again, the trip thus far has been great and the Captain has been exceptional on this trip. Will try to write more later.

There is a "famous" photographer making a video onboard. Her work is really great.

Are you going to tell us who she is and whether she is there for one trip or will be onboard for the July 4th cruise? Is she selling her video to the guests?

How is the onboard photography coach?

Archived