Another what to wear, jeans?

Boldmaid

Hi, we are leaving this weekend to Alaska, first cruise and very excited. I have a question regarding blue jeans are they acceptable in the Lido on Smart Casual nights, it's my husband. If blue jeans are not acceptable would black be any better. We are not the type to dress up but we have outfits for the formal nights. I find the trying to figure out what to wear is the most stress full part of planning for the trip, but I'm sure once I survive this trip I will be OK for the next one.

Thanks to all who contribute I have picked up some great tips in the last few months.

Hi, we are leaving this weekend to Alaska, first cruise and very excited. I have a question regarding blue jeans are they acceptable in the Lido on Smart Casual nights, it's my husband. If blue jeans are not acceptable would black be any better. We are not the type to dress up but we have outfits for the formal nights. I find the trying to figure out what to wear is the most stress full part of planning for the trip, but I'm sure once I survive this trip I will be OK for the next one.

Thanks to all who contribute I have picked up some great tips in the last few months.

HAL's web site has a wealth of information, including a special section on what to pack for Alaska. The dress code is described there. Jeans are quite common on the Alaska run.

There was no "smart casual" night on my recent Maasdam cruise. Others have mentioned the same experience on other HAL ships. The web site reference to "smart casual" may be outdated.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action

It should be mentioned that on HAL, and most other cruise lines, the dress code is not always enforced. As at many land based resorts and some restaurants,

enforcement is up to the Maitre d'. Some do and some don't. I've seen one quoted as saying that he abandoned enforcing the rules because of the negative review comments he received.

Mind you, I'm neither supporting nor opposing the Maitre d's authority, but only reporting on it. I really don't care, one way or the other.

You'll be fine. I've seen ladies in dress-up pants on formal night. That's not a good description, but I'm confident the ladies on this board will give you lots of suggestions.

Tell hubby to bring a jacket and tie for formal nights, just in case. :)

There was no "smart casual" night on my recent Maasdam cruise. Others have mentioned the same experience on other HAL ships. The web site reference to "smart casual" may be outdated.
Really? :confused: Do you mean they're dropping the word "smart"? Was there a noticeable deterioration of dress in the dining room? :(:(

Bring your jeans and wear them! you will not feel out of place at all. We are just a week off the Zaandam and after all my fret of what to wear there was no reason for it. You will see hundreds of people in jeans even on formal nights!

HAL used to have Formal, Informal and Casual Nights.

They now only have Smart Casual and Formal. On your recent Maasdam cruise, if it wasn't Formal, it was casual.....those are the only two choices. :)

OP.... HAL now permits jeans even in the Dining Room on Smart Casual Nights. No need to go to Lido in order to wear your jeans. Hopefully they mean nice neat ones. :)

Don't stress too much about what to wear. It seems to have become less important in the last year or two. As long as you have an appropriate dress for formal night and your DH has jacket and tie, you'll be permitted in the dining room. Your jeans or nice slax/skirt with pretty tops and DH in Docker type pants with polo or sport shirt or any shirt with collar is fine for smart casual nights.

For us, it's all about packing space. If space is tight, will my husband fit in better with a black suit or sports jacket/dockers? I hate the idea of lugging along two jackets but would rather do so than offend.

I'm beginning to think this is a like a wedding where we obsess over the clothes, then, when the event comes round, we forget about them in the joy of the occasion.

As long as you have an appropriate dress for formal night and your DH has jacket and tie, you'll be permitted in the dining room.

Good Advice...Also the HAL web site says that a "suit" is also acceptable for the ladies on formal night.

Good Advice...Also the HAL web site says that a "suit" is also acceptable for the ladies on formal night.

Keeping in mind that there is a big difference between a dinner suit and a business suit.

For us, it's all about packing space. If space is tight, will my husband fit in better with a black suit or sports jacket/dockers? I hate the idea of lugging along two jackets but would rather do so than offend.

Either will do...I bring a dark suit as I feel it fits in better...Since they have eliminated informal nights I do not bring a second jacket.

Either will do...I bring a dark suit as I feel it fits in better...Since they have eliminated informal nights I do not bring a second jacket.

Thanks. We can lay that issue to rest and focus on the fun stuff. (And he does look good in that suit!)

...............I have a question regarding blue jeans are they acceptable in the Lido on Smart Casual nights, it's my husband. ............................

The answer to your question is a big yes, by all means! Have a great cruise!:)

Bring your jeans and wear them! you will not feel out of place at all. We are just a week off the Zaandam and after all my fret of what to wear there was no reason for it. You will see hundreds of people in jeans even on formal nights!

Seeing hundreds of people in jeans on formal nights was not my experience while on the Volendam a couple of weeks ago. I was very impressed with how many folks were in suits and formal dresses.

To the best of my recollection, I didn't see a single person in blue jeans on formal night. That's not to say that there weren't any......just that they would have been in a minority.

Archived