First Cruise Ever--all suggestions welcome

I am taking my first cruise ever on the Norwegian Dawn from NY to Bermuda in July for my birthday. Have a balcony stateroom mid-ship in order to minimize motion sickness--hopefully there won't be any because that would ruin it.

Surprised to hear that soft drinks and bottled water are not included in price since I'm not a coffee or tea drinker, not that I'm a big soft drinker, but I do need lots of water. Where does the ship fill up with its water? How does it taste?

Any tips/suggestions would be welcome. Never been to Bermuda either so what would be your top choices for excursions? No scuba or snorkeling please.

Thanks for any help.

I am taking my first cruise ever on the Norwegian Dawn from NY to Bermuda in July for my birthday. Have a balcony stateroom mid-ship in order to minimize motion sickness--hopefully there won't be any because that would ruin it.

Surprised to hear that soft drinks and bottled water are not included in price since I'm not a coffee or tea drinker, not that I'm a big soft drinker, but I do need lots of water. Where does the ship fill up with its water? How does it taste?

Any tips/suggestions would be welcome. Never been to Bermuda either so what would be your top choices for excursions? No scuba or snorkeling please.

Thanks for any help.

The ship will have it's own water purification / desalination plant. Some on cruise critics say the water's better than you can get from any bottled water. My last trip out of NY on the NCL Jewel (Oct 2008), I brought a case of Poland Spring water from Costco for $3.89 and gave it to the luggage handlers, along with a $5 tip, when the taxi dropped me off. It made it to my room missing only 1 bottle and I was set for the entire cruise.

I've never had a concern about drinking the water from the buffet dispenser - tastes fine with me.

There will be ice tea, lemondade, assorted juices and, of course, water, available at the buffet. I believe the beverage stations are open 24 hrs, although the fruit juices may only be available during serving times.

Check the "Role Calls" section of cruise critics for your cruise - maybe you'll make some friends before you ever get aboard.

Happy Birthday - sounds like you picked the perfect cabin for your first trip. Hope you have a great first cruise, and I hope you enjoy getting your picture taken :D.

Thanks for any help.

First - BEST tip I was given before my first NCL cruise - READ the Freestyle Daily. It will be slipped under your door every night and contains all kinds of useful info about the next day like:

Any special events

Entertainment - Where and When

Hours for Dining rooms and restaurants

Any specials in the "pay extra" restaurants (like 2 for 1)

Port times

Soft drinks and bottled water are not included on any of the mid-ranged cruiselines. Only VERY high end lines include these. Tea(regular and iced) and coffee and milk are free. Juice is free at breakfast.

Ship's water tastes fine and is safe

Note: purser's desk usually has free OTC sea-sickness remedies if you need them. The Dr. can also give you (NOT free) a very strong shot that will eliminate sea-sickness but might make you drowsy.

Never been to Bermuda - so I can't help you there.

Thanks for any help.

In an earlier of review of a last week cruise I took on Pearl, I meant to mention the water. The ship's water is excellent. It was crystal clear, totally without taste, and odor free. At the restaurants they will offer you bottled (cost) or poured water from their pitcher. Go with the free water. Carry on a bottle with you and then just refill from the ship if you wish to carry one around. I also carried on two 12 packs of diet Pepsi for my wife, no problem, to keep in the room. For my wife, it's a must have.

As stated before, go over the Dailies and bring a highlighter with you. This way the things that may interest you will be easily found on the sheet.

The tap water was fine, iced tea is also included. The soda cards are only worth it if you drink more than 3 a day.

Best tip I can give you is to ENJOY yourself. Don't sweat the small stuff and enjoy the time with family and friends. Some people go around looking for things to complain about, there are plenty on this board. It's your vacation, make the best of it.

Best tip I can give you is to ENJOY yourself. Don't sweat the small stuff . . . Some people go around looking for things to complain about . . .

So true. Prepare to be pampered and waited upon for an entire week.

Regarding the OJ. Be careful, the fresh squeezed OJ cost money but the OJ from the dispenser does not.

Other tips:

• join your Roll Call
  • go to the Meet & Greet
  • Don't waste your money on Bingo (IMHO)
  • Relax, relax, relax and,
  • Enjoy your first cruise

The only thing that I can add that I didn't see posted is don't overpack. Resort casual is always appropriate. You don't need a different pair of shoes for every outfit. Swim suit, sunglasses and sunscreen are a must.

Enjoy your cruise!

Hi.

Read as much on CC as you can. Go back and read old threads and old reviews, the ports, etc. You can learn so much that way. I printed off a ton of them and highlighted anything I wanted to remember. I think by the time my cruise rolled around I had memorized everything, from reading it so many times. The information on this site in invaluable!!!

Happy cruising.

If they ask for your card (room key/onboard credit card), you will be charged for it, unless it's in one of the main dining rooms just to get a table. When they walk around with foo-foo drinks and offer you one - it's not free.

As others have said, read a lot here and you will have an advantage over others on their first cruise without Cruise Critic!

Here is a link to an excellent post of all kinds of things that may be helpful:

courtesy of another CC poster:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=852599

Thanks again Baker! You just keep reminding me I should do an updated one...but alas... I do have a life.

First and foremost thing anyone can do is to read the first few pages of postings right here.

I've never had to worry about seasickness, but my sister has always been extremely sensitive to motion. Interestingly, she only had issues on really bad days when we were on cruises as children - and those ships were puny compared to the huge, stabilized ones we cruise on today.

That being said, there are a lot of choices for people with issues. If you can, it might be wise to speak to your doctor about something that will be appropriate for you. I always see LOTS of patches behind ears on any cruise I'm on, but I think my friend just stuck to Gravol on our last cruise, and it worked really well for her - at least most of the time. She took one before we went out on a trimaran in Cozumel and it wasn't a great day, weather wise - my daughter and another friend had a blast sitting on the front of the sailboat with their feet hanging over because the swells were so big it was like riding a roller coaster with their feet dipping into the water on the down swings... So, pills work. I think the biggest drawback to most otc motion sickness pills is the possibility of drowsiness. I can't tell you anything about the patches.

I can't think of anything else to add. Everyone is really giving great advice here!! :)

Have a great cruise and happy birthday!! Oh... I know what else to add! When I celebrate my birthday on cruises (I've done so twice), I tell everyone I talk to. By the time my birthday rolls around, people all over the ship see me and wish me a 'Happy Birthday'. It really helps make the day special. :)

Booked our cruise few days ago to celebrate our 6th wedding anniversary during this trip.We're so excited.

This would be our first cruise and we'll be coming from SF Bay area to Seattle on 13th morning around 10 a.m..This would be our first trip to Seattle as well.So far I didn't book any hotel in Seattle :)

Got few questions

1.When I looked online the down town hotels costs a fortune.So thought of staying at seatac airport hotels,considering Best Western. Any suggestion on where to stay?

2.Any suggestions on Seattle tours for Saturday/Sundary morning before we board the Cruise on Sundary after noon. What to see etc?

I was considering this tour. is this good?

http://www.customizedtours.net/tours.php?type=seattleBoeing

3.And also how do we get to the cruise terminal from the Seatac airport hotel?

Thx in advance for your time and help.

N

1.When I looked online the down town hotels costs a fortune.So thought of staying at seatac airport hotels,considering Best Western. Any suggestion on where to stay?

N

We sailed on the Pearl last week and stayed Saturday night before the cruise at SEATAC Embassy Suites. It was very nice, 2 room suite, with great breakfast Sunday morning. We were on an NCL package that included the free night and transportation Sunday morning. Possibly the bus permits fare paying passengers also. The bus was NCL, not the hotels. Otherwise, the hotel was full of cruise people, so other transportation must be readily available. Give the hotel a call. Their rates and availability are on line. I noticed they were a whole lot cheaper than many others, especially senior rate.

Booked our cruise few days ago to celebrate our 6th wedding anniversary during this trip.We're so excited.

This would be our first cruise and we'll be coming from SF Bay area to Seattle on 13th morning around 10 a.m..This would be our first trip to Seattle as well.So far I didn't book any hotel in Seattle :)

Got few questions

2.Any suggestions on Seattle tours for Saturday/Sundary morning before we board the Cruise on Sundary after noon. What to see etc?

I was considering this tour. is this good?

http://www.customizedtours.net/tours.php?type=seattleBoeing

N

Ride the ducks of seattle dot com is a good one. Living in Seattle I see these a lot and everyone seems to be having a great time. It is pretty reasonably price for a fun tour. One that is more expensive, more subdued but also good is Tillicum village dot com especially if you like salmon! Going to the Pike Place market is always good but personally I would stay out of Pioneer square as the homeless are becoming a bigger problem. Have a great time in our beautiful city.

One of the best pieces of advice I saw here (not original with me) was to lay out your suitcase and wallet on the bed.

Then take half the stuff out of your suitcase and double the money in your wallet.

Part of our Alasks adventure started wirh rhe Moore Hotel in Seattle, Web site isMoorehotel.com. So close to the Public Market...and yes with the money you save buy a exquisite, outrageous boquet to tke on board.Chech out Travel Advisor site for more inSo,We sat along the garden walls. thrn went on to shoppings and the outdoor shops I saw a sweater and wanted to chdck ther color.

Letl us know what you eventuallay acquire. Bye Now

Blessinsgs, Gail

Ride the ducks of seattle dot com is a good one. Living in Seattle I see these a lot and everyone seems to be having a great time. It is pretty reasonably price for a fun tour. One that is more expensive, more subdued but also good is Tillicum village dot com especially if you like salmon! Going to the Pike Place market is always good but personally I would stay out of Pioneer square as the homeless are becoming a bigger problem. Have a great time in our beautiful city.

I second this recommendation. The Ducks tour was great as was Pike Place market. We also stayed on after our cruise and went to Alki Beach. That was wonderful! Seattle is indeed a beautiful city!:)

We stayed post cruise at a Holiday Inn Express with views of Mt. Ranier in the morning and the Space Needle. Very affordable and easy walk to the Needle. We also used the Hop On, Hop Off buses. Great!

To respond to OP's question about Bermuda excursions, I am planning on taking the sunset cruise, the tour of St. George at night, the carriage ride, and visiting the beaches for the scenery. I don't do water sports either.

Hi,

A very simple suggestion but I thought that it was great, was to bring a magnetic sign to put on the cabin door. When you look down that long hallway it's nice to see your door stick out.

Also, my wife and I bought covered coffee mugs and they are way better than the ship cups.

Have a great vacation.

Dom V.

To respond to OP's question about Bermuda excursions, I am planning on taking the sunset cruise, the tour of St. George at night, the carriage ride, and visiting the beaches for the scenery. I don't do water sports either.

Is that something you do on your own in St. Georges or through NCL? I see nothing like that available? Sounds really nice. Any info would be much appreciated. We're on Dawn 8-30 to Bermuda and can't wait. TIA

Archived